• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
LaFlorecita said:
Lower than Froome who was allegedly at 2.5-3% ? :rolleyes:

That's on the very brink of survival. Insane.

No wonder his head looks so big. I wonder how he will go in the cold weather we have seen in the Giro of the past few years ? He has had a good preparation, hopefully he still has some improvement in him otherwise the third week could be a big test for him. But he is winning and has no illness which is always a plus going into a grand tour as his confidence will be high and he will be strong. I think this is his best chance so far in his career for a high finish. Uran seems to be riding quite well, Contador has a few issues and Aru's form is unknown. If Contador is not at his best it could be an interesting three weeks.

Rollthedice said:
LaFlorecita said:

That's on the very brink of survival. Insane.

Normally the athletes with the lowest body-fat percentage are NFL footballers, weight lifters or boxers with a lot of muscle mass that brings down the percentage. But for a low muscle mass endurance athlete to get below 3% seems insane - almost unbelievable.

I worry about him maintaining his health at this level of thinness - especially in a grand tour. But then again this is the team that brought us Froome and Wiggins ;). If Richie can stay healthy at his new-found weight Contador might have his hands full in the Giro more than I first thought. :eek:

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

Normally the athletes with the lowest body-fat percentage are NFL footballers, weight lifters or boxers with a lot of muscle mass that brings down the percentage. But for a low muscle mass endurance athlete to get below 3% seems insane - almost unbelievable.

I worry about him maintaining his health at this level of thinness - especially in a grand tour. But then again this is the team that brought us Froome and Wiggins ;). If Richie can stay healthy at his new-found weight Contador might have his hands full in the Giro more than I first thought. :eek:

Porte will never challenge Contador or anyone else in a 3 weeks long stage race. He does not have a body for that. 1 week races are OK for him but 3 weeks are completely different animal.

While Porte, (just like every other short man) is claiming to be taller (5'8") you can see from the picture below that he is much shorter as Contador is 5'9".

Anyway, Porte is not a little Colombian but an extremely short white man (my guess is 5'5" and 120lb.) Sure he can go fast on any climb but he just does not have the physique to be a grant tour winner.

1309495564500.jpg

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

BigMac said:
You should have said that to Jean Robic and his lead filled drinking bottles.

Those were different times and while there is always an exception to the rule, I dont think Porte is that.

Porte is a little shorter than Evans who is 174 cms. Contador is supposedly 176 cms. I would say Porte is 5 7 but short riders win races including grand tours. Evans, Hinault, Van Impe, Quintana, Pantani and many others. I would not write off Porte because of his height but I think if he is ever going to perform in a GT it is this one coming up. I still say podium at best but it depends on how his rivals are going as well. Uran is more seasoned now and a better TT rider, Contador has done it all before and Aru has been improving based on last year plus there are a few others to consider but they seem to be the most likely for the win. I hope it's a good race and not won a long way from the finish like the past three Tours.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Jancouver said:

Porte will never challenge Contador or anyone else in a 3 weeks long stage race. He does not have a body for that. 1 week races are OK for him but 3 weeks are completely different animal.

While Porte, (just like every other short man) is claiming to be taller (5'8") you can see from the picture below that he is much shorter as Contador is 5'9".

Anyway, Porte is not a little Colombian but an extremely short white man (my guess is 5'5" and 120lb.) Sure he can go fast on any climb but he just does not have the physique to be a grant tour winner.

1309495564500.jpg
lol what a ridiculous photo comparison. porte isn't even standing straight and contador is sitting on his saddle standing on his toes probably

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Ryo Hazuki said:
LaFlorecita said:
cyclists with fat percentage below 4% I doubt exist. sounds like bs to me about froome.
Yes, I can't believe that a guy would try to start a GT with a body fat percentage that low, it's way beyond the point of diminishing returns.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

Kokoso said:
Jancouver said:
OK I found the full picture ... nevertheless Porte still is a little midget :D

1304863399623.jpg
Anyway it turned your speculation above in sh*t pile.

First of all, there was no speculation. It was a clear fact and the original picture error does not change anything.

IMO Porte's body and physique is not built for 3 weeks races. It is same as those super short guys are not winning Paris-Roubaix. They dont have bodies for that and Porte does not have a body of GT winner and he should be focusing on being a helper.

I never said that Porte is not a great cyclist and I even said that he should focus on one week races. So all the haters and fangirls should stop taking shots at me until he does win the Giro or any other GT. Then, I would be more than happy to take the BS and take the walk of shame.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Netserk said:
He is taller than Purito...

So? How many GT Purito won?

To Porte's credit, unlike Purito, he can at least TT.

As I said before, GT winner should be a complete rider and Purito is nowhere near that and it would be a shame if he won a GT just because of his climbing/size.

Jancouver said:
Netserk said:

As I said before, GT winner should be a complete rider and Purito is nowhere near that and it would be a shame if he won a GT just because of his climbing/size.

So what exactly is it about Richie's body type that makes him unable to race for the win over 3 weeks? I've seen you mention his height, but don't really understand how that matters. I mean he is pretty complete. He can climb and tt and he did pretty good over the cobbles last year. That's more than AC can say. These days AC's only really good at climbing - his tt isn't the greatest anymore. Does that mean he isn't a complete rider and thus shouldn't be a gt winner?

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

Jspear said:
Jancouver said:
Netserk said:

So what exactly is it about Richie's body type that makes him unable to race for the win over 3 weeks? I've seen you mention his height, but don't really understand how that matters. I mean he is pretty complete. He can climb and tt and he did pretty good over the cobbles last year. That's more than AC can say. These days AC's only really good at climbing - his tt isn't the greatest anymore. Does that mean he isn't a complete rider and thus shouldn't be a gt winner?

First of all, I think that Porte's body fat is too low and unless there is something clinic related, his body will give up soon. (just come back and apologize during the Giro when Porte is out with some kind of illness or cracked completely)

As per his body type, my own theory is that a way below average size Caucasian man does not have the raw power/physique to win a three weeks long and hard GT. Thats all.

TRENDING THREADS