• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Eagle said:
PremierAndrew said:
richwagmn said:
Post this again in case anyone didn't see it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFYwX2zWMAEp873.jpg:large

The rule is pretty clear. Minimum time penalty is 2 minutes for violation of this rule. Are people asking that the UCI look the other way or invent a penalty just for GT race leaders?

Yes, it totally sucks. Sky is to blame as much as anyone (where were his team mates? where was his team car?). Would Clark have stopped for Contador?

The peloton would have stopped anyway, so the question doesn't arise
I really dont think the peloton would have waited for anyone with 5k to go

Peloton had no reason to continue riding. It was pretty obvious that the break was clear, and nobody starts their leadout for the minor placings with 5km left.

The implication being that they were driving the pace with the purpose of putting time into Porte? How ludicrous! As has often mentioned here and elsewhere, the sprinter's teams that were on the front could care less about Porte and likely had no idea that he was off the back with a mechanical. The world doesn't stop spinning just because Sky is in distress. It is their mishandling of the situation that caused this to snowball as it has.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Re:

HelloDolly said:
Tiralonga helped AC win Vuleta 2012 but no 1 saw this as collusion
And all those asking would Clarke have stopeed fro Contador ...would Tiralonga have helped Fromme or Porte

Collusion that gives an unfair advantage goes on all the time ......but this was not unfair advantage

UCI are dicks

Cite the rule that was Violated by Tiralongo?

The rule is completely clear. Riders many NEVER receive mechanical assistance from another team. Ever. Minimum time penalty is 2 minutes.

Deal with it.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
And all those asking would Clarke have stopeed fro Contador ...would Tiralonga have helped Fromme or Porte

Collusion that gives an unfair advantage goes on all the time ......but this was not unfair advantage

UCI are dicks
Actually more or less everybody saw it as collusion. The buying and trading of favours happens all the time in cycling. Preventing teams actually openly going about helping opposition like this is one of the few things the UCI can do to stop it. Tiralongo can make all kinds of feeble excuses as to why he worked that day (in the other thread I pointed out a couple of them - the break needed extra legs to guarantee staying away, he can beat Alberto in a sprint), but Clarke can make no excuse for giving Porte his wheel. If Tiralongo had given Contador his wheel that day and Contador rode away to victory, people would have been apoplectic if there WASN'T a penalty.

Richie lost 47" due to bad luck. He lost another 2'00 because his teammates and car weren't close enough to him and he and Clarke either didn't know the rule or forgot about it in the heat of the moment.

richwagmn said:
HelloDolly said:

UCI are dicks

The rule is completely clear. Riders many NEVER receive mechanical assistance from another team. Ever. Minimum time penalty is 2 minutes.

Deal with it.

Its collusion that gives an unfair advantage to another team...
This goes on all the time .....Clarke gave no unfair advantage to Porte

You deal with that !!!

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
As a big Bertie fan , I want a fair race. not a fan of Porte at all but I want Bertie to win fair and square "no doubts"

I hope Porte fans would be the same if it happened to Bertie or Aru

HelloDolly said:
richwagmn said:
HelloDolly said:

UCI are dicks

Deal with it.

Its collusion that gives an unfair advantage to another team...
This goes on all the time .....Clarke gave no unfair advantage to Porte

You deal with that !!!
Actually, a break group working together on the road is not unfair advantage, it's elementary tactics. Buying and trading favours like that just happens in cycling. The rules are quite clear that mechanical assistance, on the other hand, IS an unfair advantage.

This exchange reminds me of the 2010 Giro actually, Hitch probably remembers the details. Sportzchick was extremely irate that people weren't accusing Ivan Basso of wheelsucking when he sat on Evans' wheel and refused to chase his own teammate to the finish in the Monte Grappa stage, and then equally irate when people didn't agree with her that it was solely bias against Evans that caused them to interpret Basso as doing the right thing. I'm getting a lot of that vibe actually.

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Seems like Sky's shameful ineptitude screwed over Richie. All could have been avoided had there been a domestique nearby who can just give him his bike.
Ummmm you obviously havent seen the photo

Attachments

• KJGhiyH.jpg
    KJGhiyH.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 542
Even though he is decidedly not one of my favorite riders, I do feel sorry for Richie. But he can still podium. He needs to recover mentally if he is down, and get back in the race fighting. He has an excellent ITT and if his climbing form is good he should beat everyone except Alberto and Aru on the mountains, maybe even stealing a bit of time back from them. Even a third, on the podium, would still be the largest achievement in his career and well worth battling for.

Heck there is still a long way to go anything can happen as we saw today!

thekiwi said:
SeriousSam said:
Seems like Sky's shameful ineptitude screwed over Richie. All could have been avoided had there been a domestique nearby who can just give him his bike.
Ummmm you obviously havent seen the photo

So we have accounted for one team mate stopping out of 8. Porte is Sky team leader trying to win the Giro d'Italia. Where is the rest of Sky to stop, give him a wheel and pace him back to the peloton? Even if half were riding for Viviani there should have been at least 3 there to support when the mechanical occurred.

Re:

Carols said:
Even though he is decidedly not one of my favorite riders, I do feel sorry for Richie. But he can still podium. He needs to recover mentally if he is down, and get back in the race fighting. He has an excellent ITT and if his climbing form is good he should beat everyone except Alberto and Aru on the mountains, maybe even stealing a bit of time back from them. Even a third, on the podium, would still be the largest achievement in his career and well worth battling for.

Nice post, thanks for cheering me up :). I hope Richie can also be so positive. I think he can and we will still have some entertainment watching. If Porte can put up a good fight in the TT and mountains he will win a legion of new fans.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Velolover2 said:
I think even Aru and Contador is frustrated about this. Let's hope that Uran can do one of these monster-TT's so that it's still existing do watch.

Au contraire. Contador and Aru are nothing but happy. In the end only results count.
Even Contador fans that have big hopes for the double are nothing but happy. They might give any consolation and might say anything in this thread, but in the end, they're happy.

May 12, 2015
Visit site

Cookster15 said:
Carols said:

Nice post, thanks for cheering me up :). I hope Richie can also be so positive. I think he can and we will still have some entertainment watching. If Porte can put up a good fight in the TT and mountains he will win a legion of new fans.

Never give up hope.

Porte three minutes down is nothing. If Ritchie has an awesome TT he can take back 1-1½ minutes. Then one aggressive day in the high mountains coupled with a bad day from the other two big contenders and Ritchie's back in business.

It really is that easy. It's always baffled me how people think three minutes down, at the Giro of all places, before the Alps too!, is an unsurmountable goal.

Please.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site

Ataraxus said:
Velolover2 said:
I think even Aru and Contador is frustrated about this. Let's hope that Uran can do one of these monster-TT's so that it's still existing do watch.

Au contraire. Contador and Aru are nothing but happy. In the end only results count.
Even Contador fans that have big hopes for the double are nothing but happy. They might give any consolation and might say anything in this thread, but in the end, they're happy.

It could also be a motivator for Contador. If he wins by less than two minutes people will point to Porte's penalty.

Ataraxus said:
Velolover2 said:

Why people choose to judge others emotions based on how they would feel is beyond me. Maybe I learned not to do that because I'm so old :).

richwagmn said:
Ataraxus said:
Velolover2 said:

It could also be a motivator for Contador. If he wins by less than two minutes people will point to Porte's penalty.

Yes but since Contador is going for the double that risks tiring himself more than necessary for the Tour. Better for AC to win with the least energy expended. This years Giro course isn't as hard as 2011 but so far it has been raced much harder and in 2011 AC basically soft peddled the rest of the Giro after he destroyed the field on Etna. And it is how the course is raced that really determines the energy expended and the recovery needed. In 2011 backing up for the Tour proved too much for AC and that will be in the forefront of his mind this time.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

richwagmn said:
Ataraxus said:
Velolover2 said:

It could be. I wouldn't be surprised if a Contador with GC secured, attacked for more gap. But I wouldn't expect that.
What I (and almost everyone here I guess) would expect is a Contador conserving as much energy as possible once sufficient GC gap is secured.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Ataraxus said:
Velolover2 said:

I am not fan of Porte or Sky but I want Bertie to win at his best against the best.
If Bertie does not drop Porte and wins only by the excuse of Porte's lost time then that his not the victory I
want.

Maybe you would take that sort of win as a plus but you don't speak for me.

I'm always happy. it's just a bike race. I have Kellog's common sense

TRENDING THREADS