• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

richwagmn said:
Publicus said:
Reports going around that Porte was hit with the full 2' penalty. That's ridiculous....
I think it's called the rules. Why is following the rules as written ridiculous?

I guess the spirit of the assistance and the impact it has on the overall is what makes it ridiculous. On the other hand, I think this is more about Sky not being around to help Porte which would have made Gerrans grand gesture unnecessary.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I won't lie, if this was contador it probably wouldn't have happened.

It's just dumb.

Edit: apperently it's uci, so they would have done it too with Contador I guess.

Re:

Miburo said:
Dumb UCI, just ***.

Well they applied their rules but the rule is ***.

And you know, you don't always have to apply your rules to the max, discretion is the word.
This is the problem. The application of the rules, whether we like it or not, is correct. The problem is not that it's a stupid rule. I get why it's there (would Clarke have been similarly helpful had it been Contador or Aru? How many Italian pros would have helped out Porte and alienated the team of the biggest Italian stars?) but the way it's being applied is dumb.

I'm a bit baffled as to why Porte couldn't have been given the bike of a teammate chasing up like usually happens in such circumstances and just rode the last few km that way (still due to an element of luck, but 47" loss on somebody else's bike is better than 2'47" on your own, obviously). In that case, he loses out still but because of his team's weakness, not because of his compatriot's generosity, which in a race with a TTT in it is no great shakes.

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Well nice gesture of Clarke. But if it were Contador who had a mechanical problem he wouldn't have helped him. He's only doing that for 'his mates'. So with that in mind, the time penalty is fair.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
86822-not-like-this-gif-perfect-loop-pD6b.gif

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
This is disappointing. I was hoping Porte will lose the Giro fair and square by cracking the second or third week and losing 10+ minutes.

Now, he will use this incident as his excuse. Just watch ... :cool:

And BTW the OGE boys should known better and leave him behind as this was an obvious violation of rules.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I just hope Porte doesnt finish within 3 minutes of the winner now, would be very disappointing if this cost us a close battle for the win

Libertine Seguros said:
Miburo said:
Dumb UCI, just ***.

Well they applied their rules but the rule is ***.

And you know, you don't always have to apply your rules to the max, discretion is the word.
This is the problem. The application of the rules, whether we like it or not, is correct. The problem is not that it's a stupid rule. I get why it's there (would Clarke have been similarly helpful had it been Contador or Aru? How many Italian pros would have helped out Porte and alienated the team of the biggest Italian stars?) but the way it's being applied is dumb.

I'm a bit baffled as to why Porte couldn't have been given the bike of a teammate chasing up like usually happens in such circumstances and just rode the last few km that way (still due to an element of luck, but 47" loss on somebody else's bike is better than 2'47" on your own, obviously). In that case, he loses out still but because of his team's weakness, not because of his compatriot's generosity, which in a race with a TTT in it is no great shakes.

I think that's the broader issue: where were his teammates and his team car. Sky should have been 3rd in the convoy and able to get to him sooner. I recall that Tinkoff's DS said that Porte went to the wrong side of the road, so perhaps his car missed him.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Post this again in case anyone didn't see it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFYwX2zWMAEp873.jpg:large

The rule is pretty clear. Minimum time penalty is 2 minutes for violation of this rule. Are people asking that the UCI look the other way or invent a penalty just for GT race leaders?

Yes, it totally sucks. Sky is to blame as much as anyone (where were his team mates? where was his team car?). Would Clark have stopped for Contador?

Re:

richwagmn said:

The rule is pretty clear. Minimum time penalty is 2 minutes for violation of this rule. Are people asking that the UCI look the other way or invent a penalty just for GT race leaders?

Yes, it totally sucks. Sky is to blame as much as anyone (where were his team mates? where was his team car?). Would Clark have stopped for Contador?

The peloton would have stopped anyway, so the question doesn't arise

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
richwagmn said:

So would Clark have stopped for Aru? There, does that help?

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
richwagmn said:

I really dont think the peloton would have waited for anyone with 5k to go

richwagmn said:
PremierAndrew said:
richwagmn said:

So would Clark have stopped for Aru? There, does that help?

More than enough Italians in the peloton who would give up their wheel for Aru. Point is the penalty is excessive given that Porte already lost 47 seconds through no fault of his own

Eagle said:
PremierAndrew said:
richwagmn said:

I really dont think the peloton would have waited for anyone with 5k to go

Peloton had no reason to continue riding. It was pretty obvious that the break was clear, and nobody starts their leadout for the minor placings with 5km left.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Seems like Sky's shameful ineptitude screwed over Richie. All could have been avoided had there been a domestique nearby who can just give him his bike.

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Whatever the reason though... whoever we root for... I suspect WE ALL agree on the fact that we rather see Porte or Aru or Contador lose the Giro on the Mortirolo than in an office somewhere in Geneva.

At the end of the day, the Giro D'Italia is a cycling competition, and these sort of penalties take away some of that competition.

TRENDING THREADS