• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
DBotero said:
Richie is the best,gave his all again today :D I'm really disappointed to see him leave,he was always an integral part of Froome success giving him full support every time,huge respect.Can't wait to see Froome against Richie on the road next TDF.

it's time the little birdy starts to fly solo for himself. I'm not fan of Porte, but I root for his success outside of Sky. He is trying his options. His is 30 years old, how long can you be riding for other rider? He is the second best rider in Sky. Porte has the skill to be GT contender. All around rider, great ITT, good in the mountain. He is better than TJ. So it's a good signing for BMC.

DBotero said:
Richie is the best,gave his all again today :D I'm really disappointed to see him leave,he was always an integral part of Froome success giving him full support every time,huge respect.Can't wait to see Froome against Richie on the road next TDF.

He will be a loss to Froome in the mountains and the TTT. Sky have the budget to plug the gaps but Porte had to make a move now or finish his career as a super domestque. I have always thought that Froome does better when Porte is with him and that was proved again yesterday. Without Poels and Porte, Froome probably would not have held off Quintana.

the sky machine
will not miss porte

during this tour they have released sufficient replacements
g.thomas has shown his ability to
ride the classics
and then drag a dawg through the tour

shhhh
i can hear you laughing from here

porte to bmc
hopefully a better showing in 2016
than the 2015 giro

watch that space
should be interesting

no
he won't compete with froome
for the 2016 tdf
all imho ofc

Re: Re:

Scarponi said:
JackRabbitSlims said:
the sky machine
will not miss porte

during this tour they have released sufficient replacements
g.thomas has shown his ability to
ride the classics
and then drag a dawg through the tour

shhhh
i can hear you laughing from here

porte to bmc
hopefully a better showing in 2016
than the 2015 giro

watch that space
should be interesting

no
he won't compete with froome
for the 2016 tdf
all imho ofc

Clinic >>>>>>>>>>>

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Poor LRP. Froome seems to be best mates with Thomas now. Must sting a little.

gettyimages_482042796_670.jpg

Re:

SeriousSam said:

The SKY corporates obviously told them it would be better if froome was hugging Thomas (british, staying at sky, performed well) rather than Porte (australian, leaving, more periferal role).

Now all they need to do is photoshop out that annoying camerabike and they have a perfect corporate 'look at us we're winners' sky PR pic.

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:

I'm pretty sure that's because when they all lined up in the beginning in the same formation Richie almost took Froome out with his god awful bike handling. I wouldn't have wanted to have him beside me the next time either. Bright side though he was the first mentioned when Froome thanked his teammates so don't worry, Richie Porte is still going to be the godfather to Froomey's incoming newborn son. They can go on 600km rides together.

DBotero said:
Interesting that he said he will target Paris-Nice and Catalunya but also wants to be in TDF with TVG.Let's see how this will work out,because i don't see Porte providing towing support anymore.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/porte-confirmed-with-bmc-for-2016/

Maybe he wants to be in the Tour after leading the Giro. That way he'd have no problems supporting Tejay as well as no pressure to perform stratospheric domestic work.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:

I was thinking of a different fora I post on, and went to the bottom corner of the post to hit [like] but there was no [like] option.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
If I were supreme commander at BMC, I'd try and forge Porte into a weapon that can podium Grand Tours, or win them with extraordinary luck. TJ would be relegated to domestique/Plan B duties. Even at 30 years old, Porte's ceiling exceeds Tejay's. Porte has it within him to really climb and time trial well. TJ will retire without ever having produced a performance like Porte's at Ax3 or PSM.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
What I find interesting about his BMC signing is. Why only a 1 year deal? I understand BMC may call it quits after 2016.

However, that tells me that the transfer market for his services was not as hot as you would think? Why not a different team on a 2 or 3 year agreement? If he got a big 1 year deal say 2 million. Why not go for a less yearly but longer deal for a bigger total?

He is banking on himself. Getting a nice deal in 2017. Based on his 2016 results?

Or conversely. He was not offered that 2-3 tear deal?

Overall this is bad for TJ. He will have a HUGELY motivated and HUNGRY Porte. Looking for results for his 2017 salary. And TJ needs a Big Vuelta to redeem himself. BMC has put a lot of $ and Time waiting for him to show. And given him a path to success. Time has come to Pay the Tab.