• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 118 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
JackRabbitSlims said:
sienna said:
Jancouver said:
sienna said:
It seems Aru had a role in the crash - Richie didn't screw up by himself.

Yes he did. He picked that wheel and he should be able to react to whatever obstacle is in front of him. This "blame others" game is pathetic.
So he was riding too fast?

Have you seen the video clip floating around of Richie talking about the crash from his hospital bed??
Got a link?

sienna said:
JackRabbitSlims said:
sienna said:
Jancouver said:
sienna said:
It seems Aru had a role in the crash - Richie didn't screw up by himself.

Yes he did. He picked that wheel and he should be able to react to whatever obstacle is in front of him. This "blame others" game is pathetic.
So he was riding too fast?

Have you seen the video clip floating around of Richie talking about the crash from his hospital bed??
Got a link?

Ah, yeah.....posted above.

I wanted to clarify what I wrote before about Richie "deserving" to win a GT. I was somewhat making light of his insulting Durianrider making him worthy of any win, but probably didn't word it very well. It makes for good levity that he'd say that to DR, especially considering by all counts Richie seems like a pretty nice guy, and well liked by just about every cyclist. So perhaps the word "deserve" wasn't properly used by myself.

Looking back over the last 40 years, the only riders I thought deserved to win that didn't, were those who had honest talent, but were cheated because of doping. LeMond, Mottet, Bassons, Delion, etc. And I'm not even sure I'd say they deserved to win, but they most certainly deserved a chance to compete on a level playing field they didn't get.

Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
movingtarget said:
gregrowlerson said:
Lupi33x said:
yaco said:
Want Porte to target the Giro and Vuelta in 2018. He can perform well in those races.

Giro is tougher than the TDF. Not in terms of depth of course, but variable conditions and more dangerous descents, variable stages.

Given that the Vuelta tends to have about 9 uphill finishers as opposed to only one downhill one, that GT would be the ideal choice for Porte to focus on next year. However, it's almost certain that no team would allow a rider at that level to specifically target the Vuelta in a season, even if he won Paris-Nice, Romandie and Swiss before it.

I think he will follow the same program next year as it worked so well this year but the TDU might be a question mark. A bit of a later start to the season and even missing the Australian Road Titles wouldn't be a bad thing. He could could even ride support in one or two of the hilly classics later in the season like he did for Sky. Apart from possible changes to the early season races I think he will follow the same prep into the Tour next year. I would be surprised if BMC went to the Giro with Porte. I think next year it will be TJVG and Dennis again for the Giro unless the Tour has a TTT then they won't have any choice but to take Dennis and send another domestique to the Giro. Hermans might even end up in the Tour team as well.

Porte crashed badly and was injured probably worse at the Olympics last year (later than the Tour) and he still managed to win TDU...so I don't think that is an issue

I think Porte should target the Worlds in Norway...he could do a great ride there...parcours suit

I think he will stay with wining formula next year ...and BMC will hopefully dedicate more climbers to Tour team....Hermans and may be buy one or 2

You are probably right about the TDU. Most of the stages are short and the climbs are are not hard. The most taxing thing about the race is the extreme heat they sometimes get. After nine days of the Tour he was still climbing well. Whether that was going to change later in the race will never be known of course. A few more mountain goats wouldn't hurt. Sounds like he wants to return before the end of the season but the Vuelta is obviously out.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
He is whining about the inclusion of mont du chat's descent. Sorry but you're a loser. If you don't want to fall, you have to slow down and lose contact to better descenders. How I miss the old times of cycling.

“For me, I just think that the spectacle should be the finish on top of a mountain, not having to take unnecessary risks to get to the bottom of a stage"

Wow. He's starting to sound like Andy. Pathetic.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Probably frustration more than anything else but at the same time it's probably better to keep some things to yourself and just use the disappointment to get back on track again for next season.

Agreed. Yes he should have kept it to himself but really its no big deal and understandable his frustration considering what he went through and is now recovering from - he could have died! But I do wonder if the organisers considered how that descent would be made far more dangerous by the rain that day. No rain, no damp road, no wheel locking, no crash. As Dan Martin said, I hope the organisers got what they wanted.

But Froome got more than a marginal gain by attacking the descent - he effectively took out one of his closest challengers.

The ITT had some dangerous corners and he decided to play it safe. The descent had some dangerous corners too, but this time he decided to take the risk. If he didn't want to fall he should have slowed down. It was his choice, now he has to deal with the consequences and stop whining.

Re:

carolina said:
The ITT had some dangerous corners and he decided to play it safe. The descent had some dangerous corners too, but this time he decided to take the risk. If he didn't want to fall he should have slowed down. It was his choice, now he has to deal with the consequences and stop whining.

Of course he should have slowed down but an ITT is completely different in a road stage you try not to loose the wheel it is instinctive to road racing.

As I wrote he should have kept it to himself but completely understandable considering the consequences could have been far far worse.

Cookster15 said:
carolina said:

Of course he should have slowed down but an ITT is completely different in a road stage you try not to loose the wheel it is instinctive to road racing.

As I wrote he should have kept it to himself but completely understandable considering the consequences could have been far far worse.
IIRC Fuglsang had punctured earlier in the stage and was riding a front wheel with a tyre he didn't feel familiar (safe) with. He slowed down in the steepest sections of the descent and caught the leaders later on when he felt he was safe riding as fast as he could. It's called instinctive self preservation road racing :p

The problem for Porte is converting his potential into reality. I would like to see him podium but will it ever happen ? Would have liked to see another MTF and no cobbles but the cobbles will be a test for many riders. I don't think Froome is a certainty based on 2017 but he is certainly the hardest GT rider to beat at the moment.

Max Rockatansky said:
silvergrenade said:
So...
I think he can win the 2018 Tour. Very good route for him.
He would have a great team around him. Would gain/lose minimal time to Froome. He'll need to get through the first week unscathed and we'd have a race on our hands.
Go BigRP!

He will be DNF after stage 9.
Guess we'll see. Adversity makes a man stronger, sharper.
He'll be better than last year and last year he was scary good.
He has been underestimated so often and rightly so because he might not have the results, yet. :p

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

silvergrenade said:
So...
I think he can win the 2018 Tour. Very good route for him.
He would have a great team around him. Would gain/lose minimal time to Froome. He'll need to get through the first week unscathed and we'd have a race on our hands.
Go BigRP!

OMG! :eek:

Usually, all this nonsense start right around the TdU and now we are still in October and we already have this neverending foolishness already going.

1347950713266_9576023.png