• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

Page 110 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Tommy79 said:
ScienceIsCool said:
Camper, eh? I guess that'd make it awfully difficult to see who visits him or to get a sense of what he does during the evening. I'd imagine most of the rider's hotels have journalists camped in the lobby and going through the dumpsters. Also makes it fairly difficult for the Polizei to drop by unannounced... I mean, seriously. It can't be that difficult for Sky to book an incredible suite in a five star hotel that would beat the socks off a camper. I once booked a decent suite at the absolute last minute in Milan *during* the Grand Prix.

John Swanson

A massive branded motor home in the car park more secretive than a room in the hotel?.... I don't follow your thinking.

The motorhome gets moved from town to town, where does it stop while the race is elsewhere? Who does it pick up when the race is elsewhere? What does it collect when the race is elsewhere? Plenty of opportunities to be secretive while the media and race organisers are elsewhere. It also will not be emblasoned with logos telling joe public what it is part of.

I dont see any sky logos on the motorhome.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
In recent years, Team Sky has introduced numerous innovations that challenge the traditional way of doing things in professional cycling. Rivals teams have often gone on to copy them to try to stay competitive.
Cyclingnews should be ashamed for continuing to serve readers this narrative.
“I think it’s a good thing. It’s the way the sport might move forward,” Porte suggested. “We did the warm-up and cool down and now everyone does it too. The sport is always moving forward and I think this is a good way forward. I
think our team will do it more often.”
:rolleyes:

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site

Good point. Suppose it is just very hard to measure how relaxed someone is. Even if Porte does now avoid the "bad day" every Giro preview has beaten us over the head with we'll never know if the motor home made any difference.[/quote]

No it really isn't

There are numerous different ways to tell how someone is relaxing
resting heart rate for one
brain activity while they sleep for another
muscle movements during sleep for another
Ability to raise heart rate under duress for another
there is even an app for it on most smartphones for christ's sake.
This is amatuer athlete recovery 101 - any semi serious amateur would know to monitor these things.

How stupid does Brailsford think the public is, actually don't answer that we already know he thinks everyone will swallow this sh!te.

To put it bluntly there are numerous ways they could measure his sleep and ability to recover and recuperate. and none of them would need a camper van.

As someone that has traveled a lot I can tell you for a start I would always go for a high floor in a hotel over a ground level room every day just to keep the traffic noise and sirens etc from being too intrusive. Not sure how you combat that in a camper van.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
In recent years, Team Sky has introduced numerous innovations that challenge the traditional way of doing things in professional cycling. Rivals teams have often gone on to copy them to try to stay competitive.
Cyclingnews should be ashamed for continuing to serve readers this narrative.
“I think it’s a good thing. It’s the way the sport might move forward,” Porte suggested. “We did the warm-up and cool down and now everyone does it too. The sport is always moving forward and I think this is a good way forward. I
think our team will do it more often.”
:rolleyes:

Wow. Cn going full Ligget and blatantly lying on behalf of Sky.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Tommy79 said:
ScienceIsCool said:
Camper, eh? I guess that'd make it awfully difficult to see who visits him or to get a sense of what he does during the evening. I'd imagine most of the rider's hotels have journalists camped in the lobby and going through the dumpsters. Also makes it fairly difficult for the Polizei to drop by unannounced... I mean, seriously. It can't be that difficult for Sky to book an incredible suite in a five star hotel that would beat the socks off a camper. I once booked a decent suite at the absolute last minute in Milan *during* the Grand Prix.

John Swanson

A massive branded motor home in the car park more secretive than a room in the hotel?.... I don't follow your thinking.
if i were microdosing during the Tour, i'd be pretty ff-ing uneasy with the thought of hotel rooms being camera-wired.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au

sniper said:
if i were microdosing during the Tour, i'd be pretty ff-ing uneasy with the thought of hotel rooms being camera-wired.

Someone brings the drugs in to the hotel (concierge, journalists, other team riders, hotel lobby, hotel lift, hotel hallway, knock on the door) vs someone knocks on the camper door (direct access).

Sep 29, 2012
Mind you Walsh did describe Brailsford and himself using the more discrete rear entrance to the hotel in his drivel of a book so you potentially cut out the concierge, lobby.

The carers are going to be walking between hotel and camper to administer massages, etc. So logistically it increases their workload / maneuvering too.

Dear Wiggo said:
sniper said:

Someone brings the drugs in to the hotel (concierge, journalists, other team riders, hotel lobby, hotel lift, hotel hallway, knock on the door) vs someone knocks on the camper door (direct access).
Au contraire, mon cher ami. It could very well be that the proponents of "the cycling of tomorrow" are using the old traditional gypsy tactic: stay on the move. Maybe not sneaking out of town every day or night, but just enough times to get the supplies or see friends.

BTW, who's the driver of the RV :p ? Edita?

I have always wondered why no one ever bugged team hotel rooms with miniature cameras and microphones, in order to find out what USPS/Discovery or now Sky are up to. We're in the age of technology, aren't we? And if you don't know where to get such spy gear, ask Oleg: he'll hook you up. ;) Or even have someone get a job as housekeeper, save all the trash, swab everything...La Gazzetta used to be good at that... :cool:

Tonton said:
I have always wondered why no one ever bugged team hotel rooms with miniature cameras and microphones, in order to find out what USPS/Discovery or now Sky are up to.

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-how-lance-armstrong-cheated-at-the-tour-de-france-2010-7?IR=T

Outside its door, Mr. Landis said, team staff members were stationed at each end of the hall to make sure nobody showed up unannounced. The riders were told before they went into the room not to talk when they got inside, he said. The smoke detectors had been taken down, he said, plastic was taped over the heater and the air-conditioning unit, and anything with a hole in it was taped over. The purpose, Mr. Landis figured, was to obscure the view of any hidden camera.

Sep 29, 2012
vedrafjord said:
http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-how-lance-armstrong-cheated-at-the-tour-de-france-2010-7?IR=T

Outside its door, Mr. Landis said, team staff members were stationed at each end of the hall to make sure nobody showed up unannounced. The riders were told before they went into the room not to talk when they got inside, he said. The smoke detectors had been taken down, he said, plastic was taped over the heater and the air-conditioning unit, and anything with a hole in it was taped over. The purpose, Mr. Landis figured, was to obscure the view of any hidden camera.

Having a bus outside the hotel certainly removes the need for all these suspicious-looking characters hanging around hallways and the paranoid taping over of holes and air vents, innit?

vedrafjord said:
Tonton said:
I have always wondered why no one ever bugged team hotel rooms with miniature cameras and microphones, in order to find out what USPS/Discovery or now Sky are up to.

Great read! It's so cloak and dagger-ish....

Re:

ChewbaccaDefense said:
“We did the warm-up and cool down and now everyone does it too."--Richie Porte

Sky invented warm-up and cool down...freaking incredible...

"We were the first ones to put air in the tires and now everybody does it too." -- Richie Porte

Can't wait til Richie parks the Skymobile at Wallyworld close to the exit so they will be the first ones out!

Wait until the RV disappears in the middle of the night, and we get served BS a la manure on a platter, like "we drove up and down the Mortirolo while Ritchie was asleep, so his body can better integrate the altitude and the gradient of the climb". This will surely explain how he produced 2.21 Gigawatts, travel in time, be Eddy Merckx 1969 and annihilate Bertie.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

WildspokeJoe said:
"We were the first ones to put air in the tires and now everybody does it too." -- Richie Porte

Can't wait til Richie parks the Skymobile at Wallyworld close to the exit so they will be the first ones out!

chapeau to WSJ

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

msjett said:
I get why they have the RV for Richie, but why does he need the sprinter in his team? Seems counter productive to me...

Rupert got Sky Italia to kick in about 2millionGBP to SkyCycling budget.

Sky Italia is owned only about 40%by Sky in the UK. (which in turn, only owned about 60% by NewsCorp) I think... those numbers are ballpark from my memory

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Watch Richie put on the after burners tomorrow on the up hill finish and rip the field to shreds... You heard it here first.

Shares in RV companies to rocket, get in while you can.