• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Riders to reach 100 pro wins

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which riders will reach 100 pro wins?

• Total voters
Gotti has 6 but won his first GT with only 2 wins beating Ryder.

No, we concluded last month, that he only has 5, cause he didn't actually win the 1999 GP Nobili Rubinetterie, which doubled as the Italian championships and was won by Salvatore Commesso.

MVP, Wout, and Remco will go after big pieces and only one can win. It could be problematic for all three to get there. But there's always a prep' race, an ITT for a win. Note: Philippe Gilbert has 80 wins,

Pog has 43, he's young and he can win anything, everything. He should land between the 96 of Zoetemelk and the 145 of Hinault. I vote "Yes".

For what it's worth, I'd take Vincenzo's 52 wins over Nono's 89., Elia's 86, Primoz's 62, Dylan's 62, or Caleb's 57...

MVP, Wout, and Remco will go after big pieces and only one can win. It could be problematic for all three to get there. But there's always a prep' race, an ITT for a win. Note: Philippe Gilbert has 80 wins,

Pog has 43, he's young and he can win anything, everything. He should land between the 96 of Zoetemelk and the 145 of Hinault. I vote "Yes".

For what it's worth, I'd take Vincenzo's 52 wins over Nono's 89., Elia's 86, Primoz's 62, Dylan's 62, or Caleb's 57...
I don’t know, I think Roglic’s OTT gold brings his wins up a lot considering the vast majority thought he was a wasted pick for Slovenia.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The big question about Pogacar and Evenepoel is not if they reach 100 but when they reach 100. Ten riders have reached 100 before their 30th birthday. I think the top 3 are untouchable but Hinault's 4th place in this list can be beaten.

Saronni 24y + 268d
Merckx 25y + 4d
Maertens 25y + 72d
Hinault 27y + 189d
Sagan 27y + 225d
Cavendish 27y + 360d
De Vlaeminck 28y + 275d
Van Looy 29y + 69d
Jalabert 29y + 131d
Kelly 29y + 273d

So good to see Maertens getting some “love”. Absolutely amazing rider and one of a kind. Arguably the best sprinter of all time but also the dominant TTer of his era (or at least during his few good years). And only rider other than Merckx to win 50 wins in a single season. Without the giro crash of 1977, what would have been, I wonder…

Of note: Every single one of those ten riders could sprint. So Pog seems a natural and looks likely to slot in fairly high.

For Remco, going to wait to the end of this season. Things could go either way depending. In his favor he is only 22 (and lost almost a year).

It would be good to get some stats on solo wins, Merckx had a ton of course. However, in modern times, who is doing it as often as Remco?

The big question about Pogacar and Evenepoel is not if they reach 100 but when they reach 100. Ten riders have reached 100 before their 30th birthday. I think the top 3 are untouchable but Hinault's 4th place in this list can be beaten.

Saronni 24y + 268d
Merckx 25y + 4d
Maertens 25y + 72d
Hinault 27y + 189d
Sagan 27y + 225d
Cavendish 27y + 360d
De Vlaeminck 28y + 275d
Van Looy 29y + 69d
Jalabert 29y + 131d
Kelly 29y + 273d
Crazy to think that Cavendish's 100th win was May 16th, 2013 and Sagan's September 8th, 2017 and they've both won this year.

Pogacar already has two, if he continues like this into his thirties he could be at the top of the list and potentially close to 200 wins.
Ten plus win seasons (according to PCS):
All cyclists I searched are listed
Cavendish 11
Merckx 10
Cipollini 9
Hinault, Greipel, Kelly, Zabel 8
Petacchi 7
Kittel, Sagan, Boonen 6
Maertens, Valverde 5
Coppi 4
Ewan, Demare, Mcewen, Viviani 3
Froome, Contador, Pogacar 2
Cancellara, Rodriquez, Cunego, Van Aert, Gilbert 1
Nibali 0

Crazy to think that Cavendish's 100th win was May 16th, 2013 and Sagan's September 8th, 2017 and they've both won this year.

Pogacar already has two, if he continues like this into his thirties he could be at the top of the list and potentially close to 200 wins.
Cavendish 11
Merckx 10
Cipollini 9
Petacchi 7
Kittel, Sagan, Boonen 6
Maertens, Valverde 5
Coppi 4
Nibali 0

remco is at 11 for 2022, so he has one. And considering he had 8 and 9 in each season that was truncated by the lombardy crash, it is not a stretch to think he would likely now be at three seasons with 10+ wins at age 22 (and with no sprint). No matter, he has one and barring further injury he will likely climb this list as well.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
remco is at 11 for 2022, so he has one. And considering he had 8 and 9 in each season that was truncated by the lombardy crash, it is not a stretch to think he would likely now be at three seasons with 10+ wins at age 22 (and with no sprint). No matter, he has one and barring further injury he will likely climb this list as well.
And Armstrong would have won an additional Tour if he hadn't got cancer!

According to PCS, Roger Walkowiak's TdF win was his second win. Same for Lucien Aimar.
Cycling Archives lists 15 individual wins for Walkowiak before his TdF victory (plus a TTT). It also lists 9 prior victories for Aimar, although at least one of them was U23.

Cavendish 11
Merckx 10
Cipollini 9
Petacchi 7
Kittel, Sagan, Boonen 6
Maertens, Valverde 5
Coppi 4
Nibali 0
It goes to show what win counts are: win counts:rolleyes:. Kermesse=RVV, 1st Stage in Poitou-Charente=RRWC...it's a count. It says that a rider won often, but nothing about his greatness.

I'm a Remco fan but many Remco fans bother me. And to me, if he decides to retire two years from now having won all-three GTs and the rainbow-jersey in the same year (and all five monuments), Remco will be at, maybe, 60 or 70 wins, and he will have attained a summit, a special place in cycling history. So that count "means nothing to me".

I still note that the greatests (again with a "s") are on the list: Merckx, Hinault, and Coppi.

You can be a very good or great rider and have the perfect schedule. Be a sprinter :). Win plenty.

Reactions: lemon cheese cake
It goes to show what win counts are: win counts:rolleyes:. Kermesse=RVV, 1st Stage in Poitou-Charente=RRWC...it's a count. It says that a rider won often, but nothing about his greatness.

I'm a Remco fan but many Remco fans bother me. And to me, if he decides to retire two years from now having won all-three GTs and the rainbow-jersey in the same year (and all five monuments), Remco will be at, maybe, 60 or 70 wins, and he will have attained a summit, a special place in cycling history. So that count "means nothing to me".

I still note that the greatests (again with a "s") are on the list: Merckx, Hinault, and Coppi.

You can be a very good or great rider and have the perfect schedule. Be a sprinter :). Win plenty.
I posted to show that reaching 100 wins is a hard thing to reach, since you need multiple 10 plus win seasons. Also to show who we as members label as the best of the eras. Obviously for distant past years more members would know of other greats.

I think we all agree that if someone retired with 10 wins and it being each GT, monument, ORR, and WRR would be one of the greatest cyclists.

And maybe it’s something we as fans focus more on then the riders who just want to win their objectives and where they can. Like how I think it’s interesting no one has won double digits in GT stages but I’m sure almost no rider has thought about it, even if they’re close to it.

TRENDING THREADS