• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Riders with the same characteristics.

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
rghysens said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Sagan = Bettini but without any of the class or awesomeness.

Bettini wasn't as fast, but better in hilly races.
The funny thing is that Sagan has already won more races as a pro, but Bettini always shined in the big races.
At Sagan's age, Bettini won 5 small races and had a top 5 in LBL. That's it.
2000 (Sagan's 2016) was his breakthrough year with LBL win and a TdF stage.
Sagan has won 4 green jerseys, 4 TdF stages, has 3 monument podiums, won quite some semi-classics, ...

sptdw2031_670.jpg

Albasini and Valverde.

Valverde is of course a lot better. But they look like brothers, almost twins.

Re: Riders with the same charatistics.

WheelofGear said:
doperhopper said:
... and then there's this Sagan category - super talent who finds in each race someone with better sprint, endurance, climbing, punchy explosiveness, team support... and if not, here comes motokiller
Yeah. I think the closest you can get to Sagan is Kwiatkowski. Same age. Both very multi-talented. Opportunistic. Great bike handlers. And scary in a technical prologue.

Kwai is a little better as a climber and on the steep stuff while Sagan is better in a flat sprint and on the cobbles.

I think Degenkolb is closer to Sagan

Both young and talented as you mentioned, both very fast, both can get over climbs (though Sagan is quite a bit better at climbing) both good at cobbles.

I would say Degenkolb is a slightly dimmed down version of Sagan

portugal11 said:
SeriousSam said:
Red Rick said:
sir fly said:
Lance Armstrong and Alberto Contador.

Sure :rolleyes:
Yes, not a particularly good match. Armstrong was a more consistently great climber and especially time trialler.
looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

No ways Contador.

To be honest though, Armstrong is pretty unique. Perhaps Anquetil is similar to him? Aggressive and won all the TT's

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Bushman said:
gunara said:
For the current cyclist Degenkolb and Kristoff are maybe the most famous example, while the Yates brothers seem to swap characteristics between them, and I can't help thinking sometimes that Purito is a better Dani Moreno.

I can't help thinking sometimes that Dani Moreno could be just as good as Purito if he didn't have to slave for him.

Moreno got plenty of opportunities during his career at Katusha. Just not good enough as a climber, or consistent enough.

Arredondo said:
Bushman said:
gunara said:
For the current cyclist Degenkolb and Kristoff are maybe the most famous example, while the Yates brothers seem to swap characteristics between them, and I can't help thinking sometimes that Purito is a better Dani Moreno.

I can't help thinking sometimes that Dani Moreno could be just as good as Purito if he didn't have to slave for him.

Moreno got plenty of opportunities during his career at Katusha. Just not good enough as a climber, or consistent enough.

He didn't get 'plenty' of opportunities in the important races.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Bushman said:
Arredondo said:
Bushman said:
gunara said:

He didn't get 'plenty' of opportunities in the important races.

He did.

Vuelta 2013, Ardennes classics 2014, Tirreno 2014 ...

Way more then any other good domestique. And he showed in those races he's good, but not a consistent team leader. Not like Purito is.

Dazed and Confused said:
hrotha said:
Pantani_lives said:
Bahamontes = Quintana
Bahamontes is rolling in his grave right now.

And yes, I'm aware he's alive. That's how bad this is.

Agree, pathetic comparison.

Quintana is mostly a wheel-sucker who can perform well in one or two stages from 5-6km out.

Behamontes is in a completely different class.

http://ciclismo.as.com/ciclismo/imagenes/2015/09/24/mas_ciclismo/1443061615_772023_1443061759_noticia_grande.jpg

Bahamontes and Van Impe met one week ago in Toledo.