Rigoberto Uran discussion thread.

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

hrotha said:
DFA123 said:
I think a better tactical rider or even someone who was a bit braver with their riding would have won a lot more.
Or even simply someone who didn't look back and lose sight of his rival with 200 m to go. :D
Lol, indeed!

I think the talk about not having a niche or not quite being the best at anything is a bit generous too him. He was the stronger sprinter in a two-up finish at the Olympics, he was in a winning position at the end of Lombardia last year, you could even say he was in a winning position at the 2014 Giro before the Gavia/Stelvio stage, and he lost them all due to tactical errors.

Imagine how different his record would look if he had converted those three into victories, as he should have done (let alone all the other races he's let slip). We'd be talking about one of the great palmares of his generation.
 
Jun 30, 2012
1,300
0
0
Tonton said:
I agree with all the above posts. Bravo Rigoberto. You had a great Tour, won the queen stage, enjoy the podium and the Champagne. Great job :) .
And he did it without any sort of effective team. They were pretty much MIA for the whole tour. Bravo Rigoberto.
 
Re: Re:

jmdirt said:
Brullnux said:
I was just thinking that had the opening TT been dry, and had he not almost crashed coming into the stadium yesterday, and had he actually attacked once or twice, then Uran would have very likely won this Tour.
Two more ifs and I could have won la TdF. :rolleyes:

The reason the if game doesn't work is that it goes both ways. If RU crashes (or crashes out), if he blows up, if his frame brakes...if...if... and for every if there is opposing if.
Yeah but the three conditionals I used weren't exactly implausible, or particularly impressive. A dry prologue, not riding into a barrier in the final 500m of the ITT, and attacking once.
 
Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
jmdirt said:
Brullnux said:
I was just thinking that had the opening TT been dry, and had he not almost crashed coming into the stadium yesterday, and had he actually attacked once or twice, then Uran would have very likely won this Tour.
Two more ifs and I could have won la TdF. :rolleyes:

The reason the if game doesn't work is that it goes both ways. If RU crashes (or crashes out), if he blows up, if his frame brakes...if...if... and for every if there is opposing if.
Yeah but the three conditionals I used weren't exactly implausible, or particularly impressive. A dry prologue, not riding into a barrier in the final 500m of the ITT, and attacking once.
Nor are crashing, getting sick, bonking, mechanicals... He got onto the wall because he was riding like his ars was on fire.
 
Re: Re:

jmdirt said:
Frankschleck said:
people saying that the cannodale time trial bike is bad, but don't you guys thing they have designed a special one for the occasion?
They didn't get a new TT bike approved by the UCI this year.

I'm not sure that the Slice is much less slippery than other WT bikes. Without actually knowing what goes on behind the scenes, I wonder if CDale-Drapac's limited budget doesn't have room for much TT setup time (wind tunnel etc...).

Don't CDale sponsored athletes win (place) triathlons all of the time?

EDIT: If you look at the picture of RU warming up one thing you'll notice is that the front brake of the Slice is on the front of the fork. Most aero bikes try to hide the brake from the wind, while also making the air flow around the fork blades, and between the blades and the wheel/tire as clean as possible. That could indicate CDale not spending the time and money to develop, or it could indicate that CDale did R&D it and found it not to be important enough to require redesigning.
Phinney's Slice is a different (older) version than RU's:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/taylor-phinneys-cannondale-slice-with-double-duty-mavic-wheels-gallery/
It looks more aero, but what the eye sees isn't necessarily what the air sees so who knows. I can't imagine CDale replacing their TT/Tri bike with a less aero model.
 
Well, after some years of problems, bad luck, illness, bad planification,.to finish a Giro when you are ill and after to race le Tour instead abandon the Giro and prepare well le Tour, and things like that, finally Rigo has showed his righ level, very close to the best rider today for Tour, Chris Froome.
Rigo is better at clasiccs , so Rigo is a more complete rider than Froome.

Some people think that Frome wanst so strong this year, but I dont thing so at all. He was the same than in Plateau de Biele or La Pierre de Saint Martin. But the race was different, little bit ITT, lot of mountains, some of them step and not a long first flat week. After tsome days on the flat Froome is the best on the mountains and he can put a big distance. Last year route was similar and he show the same. But he showed in Izoard he finished as well as always..he has never drop any good climber at the end of le Tour, never, usually he was droped by others.

So Rigo was there, at that level, not maybe the level to face SKY, I would like he would have try, but in his case I understand, just in his case and just this year. Other year he shoudl try something, other way it is unforgiven.
 
No Vuelta for Uran acording to Vaughters.

¿Qué carreras hará Urán en el segundo semestre?
Hemos hablado de que corra la Clásica de San Sebastián, que vaya a Estados Unidos a la Vuelta a Colorado, allá haremos una cena de celebración por lo que hizo en el Tour. Luego correrá en Canadá, los Grand Prix de Québec y Montreal, y terminará el año con el Giro de Lombardía.
 
Taxus4a said:
No Vuelta for Uran acording to Vaughters.

What races will Uran do in the second half?
We have talked about racing San Sebastian, going to the United States to do Colorado, there we will have a celebration dinner for what he did on the Tour. He will then race in Canada, the Grand Prix of Quebec and Montreal, and end the year in Lombardy.
Seems like good prep for the Worlds.
 
Fair enough. In my mind he's always been an opportunistic rider, but I guess not in the grand tours. He's been on the attack in smaller stage races during the years, though, fx Tour Of Oman alongside Sagan and Nibali 3-4 years ago.
 
Apr 9, 2017
107
0
0
He's more of an opportunist rider than an aggressive one. But I don't think it's fair to label him as someone who doesn't attack when he sees a chance.

But who would have thought that in the 4 Tours Froome completed as a team leader, that it would be Rigoberto who was the closest to beating him.
 
Re:

hrotha said:
What do you mean by "normally"? This is how he's always ridden in GTs when going for the GC.
The problem with Rigo in Tours is that when he attacked usad to have a bad result, as this example on the Vuelta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPADmm7ZzKQ

And after he was more conservative and his results were better. In a race as il Giro for instance at the end is a resilience race, you have to save your energies constantly.

And in an race as le Tour without team, without a big explosivity on the mountains, so he is not a pure climber as Bardet or Aru and with SKy on the front, and with time bonus at the end, it is difficult to attack for someone like him.

He anyway did an attack this Tour, it was a short one and it was just a move to folow just in the cae the rest didnt go for him at the moment... It wanst the case, nothing to do againts a grupetto there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8G75QncOas
 
Re: Re:

Taxus4a said:
hrotha said:
What do you mean by "normally"? This is how he's always ridden in GTs when going for the GC.
The problem with Rigo in Tours is that when he attacked usad to have a bad result, as this example on the Vuelta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPADmm7ZzKQ

And after he was more conservative and his results were better. In a race as il Giro for instance at the end is a resilience race, you have to save your energies constantly.

And in an race as le Tour without team, without a big explosivity on the mountains, so he is not a pure climber as Bardet or Aru and with SKy on the front, and with time bonus at the end, it is difficult to attack for someone like him.

He anyway did an attack this Tour, it was a short one and it was just a move to folow just in the cae the rest didnt go for him at the moment... It wanst the case, nothing to do againts a grupetto there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8G75QncOas
No so short, 3 minutes attack, and SKy giving everything to put him back with Kiato and even Froome...it is normal you dont risk more and look for a good oportunity that maybe never comes and try to secure a second place very important for him and maybe if Froome has a bad day in the ITT, to win.
 
Dec 21, 2015
242
13
3,060
Re: Re:

Taxus4a said:
Taxus4a said:
hrotha said:
What do you mean by "normally"? This is how he's always ridden in GTs when going for the GC.
The problem with Rigo in Tours is that when he attacked usad to have a bad result, as this example on the Vuelta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPADmm7ZzKQ

And after he was more conservative and his results were better. In a race as il Giro for instance at the end is a resilience race, you have to save your energies constantly.

And in an race as le Tour without team, without a big explosivity on the mountains, so he is not a pure climber as Bardet or Aru and with SKy on the front, and with time bonus at the end, it is difficult to attack for someone like him.

He anyway did an attack this Tour, it was a short one and it was just a move to folow just in the cae the rest didnt go for him at the moment... It wanst the case, nothing to do againts a grupetto there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8G75QncOas
No so short, 3 minutes attack, and SKy giving everything to put him back with Kiato and even Froome...it is normal you dont risk more and look for a good oportunity that maybe never comes and try to secure a second place very important for him and maybe if Froome has a bad day in the ITT, to win.
I don't speak Spanish, but the commentary on that last video is outstanding!! :D
 
Re: Re:

Davesta said:
Taxus4a said:
Taxus4a said:
hrotha said:
What do you mean by "normally"? This is how he's always ridden in GTs when going for the GC.
The problem with Rigo in Tours is that when he attacked usad to have a bad result, as this example on the Vuelta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPADmm7ZzKQ

And after he was more conservative and his results were better. In a race as il Giro for instance at the end is a resilience race, you have to save your energies constantly.

And in an race as le Tour without team, without a big explosivity on the mountains, so he is not a pure climber as Bardet or Aru and with SKy on the front, and with time bonus at the end, it is difficult to attack for someone like him.

He anyway did an attack this Tour, it was a short one and it was just a move to folow just in the cae the rest didnt go for him at the moment... It wanst the case, nothing to do againts a grupetto there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8G75QncOas
No so short, 3 minutes attack, and SKy giving everything to put him back with Kiato and even Froome...it is normal you dont risk more and look for a good oportunity that maybe never comes and try to secure a second place very important for him and maybe if Froome has a bad day in the ITT, to win.
I don't speak Spanish, but the commentary on that last video is outstanding!! :D
Really outstanding :lol: , typical from Colombia.

But anyway it was an attack, and Sky put everything, including Froome, to take it back.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY