• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rigoberto Uran discussion thread.

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
IndianCyclist said:
More than that i think he wants to find out what he can do in the GTs. A top 5 is good for any team leader.

He knows what he can do. He was second in the Giro. Nobody remembers top 5 it's the podium or nothing. It's like stage winners. Winners are remembered but place getters are not. That's why GT riders are so disappointed to finish fourth or fifth. Only new pros would consider that a great result.

movingtarget said:
He knows what he can do. He was second in the Giro. Nobody remembers top 5 it's the podium or nothing. It's like stage winners. Winners are remembered but place getters are not. That's why GT riders are so disappointed to finish fourth or fifth. Only new pros would consider that a great result.
In the Giro Uran was in a good shape, yes, but he was working, and he lost 1 min 30 seconds waiting for Wiggins. He like hot weather and there was cold, really cold and rain in the mountains. And the real hard stages of the Giro, those who make the difference, were suspended or changed by one climb stage. Anyway Nibali was the stronger than Giro, he was really strong, but it would be another race in other conditions, and Urán still can improve.

Anyway Urán is not very reliable, if he is not in the best shape, in three weeks he can lose time one day and say bye bye.

movingtarget said:

I am really surprised that you think so:eek:. Check out any present day Dutch/Begian GC riders. They are extremely happy with top 5:p.
The problem is the cobbles. Though i am sure he can handle them, they are risky proposition with OPQS as OPQS is going to push the pace very hard on that stage. Wouldn't do for the team to dump their own team leader. Lefevere is going to convince Uran for Giro Vuelta with WC thrown in and Tour for 2015.

IndianCyclist said:
I am really surprised that you think so:eek:. Check out any present day Dutch/Begian GC riders. They are extremely happy with top 5:p.
The problem is the cobbles. Though i am sure he can handle them, they are risky proposition with OPQS as OPQS is going to push the pace very hard on that stage. Wouldn't do for the team to dump their own team leader. Lefevere is going to convince Uran for Giro Vuelta with WC thrown in and Tour for 2015.

A top 5 in the Tour is a dream for a lot of riders and teams. The problems is that riders must be more ambitious and take risk to be on the podium or to win. But to show you can get that place, it worth a lot. That means you are always there in the key moments, one of the riders people see evgery day with option to win...

Uran has been always a good worker, but he is tired to work, other riders with his potential has never worked for anybody and he was working first for Valverde (and he finished a Romandie just 2 second behind him after work) and later for Froome or Wiggins.

He has always had his oportunities, anyway, but if you are not lucky in that moments...

Taxus4a said:
A top 5 in the Tour is a dream for a lot of riders and teams. The problems is that riders must be more ambitious and take risk to be on the podium or to win. But to show you can get that place, it worth a lot. That means you are always there in the key moments, one of the riders people see evgery day with option to win...

Uran has been always a good worker, but he is tired to work, other riders with his potential has never worked for anybody and he was working first for Valverde (and he finished a Romandie just 2 second behind him after work) and later for Froome or Wiggins.

He has always had his oportunities, anyway, but if you are not lucky in that moments...

I just hope OPQS management realize his potential & invest in him properly-because he well be the one putting the team back on GC spots. Sadly-as I anticipated- Cav & Bonnen will have their own interests protected & any other objectives aside from theirs will be just "crumbs" for the rest of the riders. No doubt why Chavanel left the team when Cav got hired....

Anyway Urán although is a good worker to train, he maybe now is with a rum bottle in a party, he love colombians parties, and even wrong food... he is not a bike freakie as Gesink or Dan Martin, or even Froome, very committed and disciplined even in his free time...

(anyway if we talk about wrong food Horner is an expert...:p)

As the same time Uran has his mistakes in the race. He has learn a lot, especially in SKY,n as well that work in the ITT (he didnt work properly with Caisse), but still has to show what you need to win, as Rui Costa do.

Rui Costa is not a leader so far, the same as Rigo, he is not more talented, but he has done a season plenty of big results.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Taxus4a said:
In the Giro Uran was in a good shape, yes, but he was working, and he lost 1 min 30 seconds waiting for Wiggins. He like hot weather and there was cold, really cold and rain in the mountains. And the real hard stages of the Giro, those who make the difference, were suspended or changed by one climb stage. Anyway Nibali was the stronger than Giro, he was really strong, but it would be another race in other conditions, and Urán still can improve.

Anyway Urán is not very reliable, if he is not in the best shape, in three weeks he can lose time one day and say bye bye.

every rider like hot weather pretty much. but uran is actually very good in bad and cold weather. same with henao and duque and others. some can't handle cold and rain at all like rujano and pozzovivo

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
every rider like hot weather pretty much. but uran is actually very good in bad and cold weather. same with henao and duque and others. some can't handle cold and rain at all like rujano and pozzovivo

Rujano won at the Grossglockner in the Giro in rainy conditions.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Arredondo said:
Rujano won at the Grossglockner in the Giro in rainy conditions.

you don't understand how weather works during a race then. the whole stage was low altitude and in good conditions. so then it doesn't matter what weather the final climb will be since your body is so incredibly warm anyway.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
you don't understand how weather works during a race then. the whole stage was low altitude and in good conditions. so then it doesn't matter what weather the final climb will be since your body is so incredibly warm anyway.

I was just provocate a little, i didn't look at the circumstanses during the stage;)

Of course you're right about the fact Rujano can't handle extreme or rainy/cold conditions well.

BafSQpLIUAAvhR2.jpg:large

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Good luck Rigo keep that form going next year as we know riders get worst when they leave Sky dont they did u see Rogers last year i mean he was gruppeto rider.:rolleyes:

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
movingtarget said:

Top 5's are great results give me a top 5 in a GT over 1-2 even 3 Stage wins. Even someone like Fuglsang in the TDF id rather have his placement than a stage, when u look through history you remember top 10 placement you dont remember who won which stage into Dax for example.

TANK91 said:
Top 5's are great results give me a top 5 in a GT over 1-2 even 3 Stage wins. Even someone like Fuglsang in the TDF id rather have his placement than a stage, when u look through history you remember top 10 placement you dont remember who won which stage into Dax for example.

You must have a rather good memory thinkTank.

Personally I couldn't give a sh!t about top 10 placements. Give me a stage win any day. Especially one which is not bunch sprint related.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
In terms of best Tour I'd rate Froome, Quintana, Kittel, and then personally I'd rate Costa's Tour along with Rodriguez and Sagan, ahead of Contador and Kreuziger and then all other top placed riders.

TANK91 said:
Good luck Rigo keep that form going next year as we know riders get worst when they leave Sky dont they did u see Rogers last year i mean he was gruppeto rider.:rolleyes:

He's one of the very few "real deals" on a bike riding in the WT. His ride and eventual abandon at the 2013 WC showed enormous determination on a difficult day.

I don't know if we'll see a GC podium for him, but definitely stage and more one-day podiums.

TANK91 said:

One of the worst reasoning I've ever read on this forum. You can't mean it for real, can you?
Holy **** these noobs nowadays.

TANK91 said:
What do you think is going to be remembered in 5 years? Riblon's gutsy win on the Alpe, or Fuglsang fighting to hang on the climbs that tiny bit longer than Mollema? :rolleyes:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
TANK91 said:

LOL @ everything in this post. I hope you were wasted from all sorts of drugs while posting this

TRENDING THREADS