• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rigoberto Uran discussion thread.

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Taxus4a said:
Porte was impresive some days in the Tour as a domestique, yes, but he took it easy some days as the second ITT. If he would gave his best that day, he could have won, but he took a rest to help other days...Froome was impresive as domestique of Wiggins, becouse he was second helping him...strong all the days in all kind of stages, in the Vuelta as well.

Porte has been impresive in one week races, becouse he is a good time trialist, but Uran has been 7th (starting injured) and second in the Giro as a domestique. In one he helped Cavs, and in another he helped Wiggo. It is not the same that if the team work for you.

That doesnt mean that Porte wouldnt do a great Giro or even won it, he has the TTT, the first ITT, very good for him, and the climb ITT, not bad. He can improve, and he can demostrate he can win as well a GT, of course, he has been impresive since he started cycling, except his second year with Saxo in the mountains, but he was a domestique in both Giro and Tour, and that year he did incredible ITT, maybe better than ever.

But now I d bet that even Evans will finish better in GC.

Porte:

Carrera 2010 2011 2012 2013
Giro de Italia 7º 81º - -
Tour de Francia - 72º 34º 19º
Vuelta a España - - 68º

Rigo:

Giro de Italia - 35° - 7° 2°
Tour de Francia 52° - 24° - -
Vuelta a España - 33° - 29° 27°

Evans:

2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
Giro de Italia 14º - - - - - - - 5º - - 3º
Tour de Francia - - - 7º 4º 2º 2º 30º 26º 1º 7º 39º
Vuelta a España - Ab. 30º - - 4º - 3º - - - -

Evans will struggle once we get into 3rd week. However I have little doubt we will see much more of this:

090-Tappa%2012-10.jpg

And I agree with you, he will have to wait until stage 12 to get it.

the asian said:
I'd say he has a better chance of a podium finish at the Giro than Porte.

Porte is getting over-hyped due to his short stage racing form, but GT's are a different kettle of fish.

Porte will fade away and Uran will most likely fight for 3rd.

^^ This ^^
Folks here forget that over the last two years he "worked" for someone else while making 7th & runner-up.
If Rigo comes to Il Giro with last year's form & well supported, I have no doubt he'll be sharing the podium with Quintana & Purito. :)

Michele said:
Sorry guys but didnt Rigoberto moves to Omega for have a captain role at next Tour?
Did I miss anything?:confused:

I thought that as well...and the team still doubt about Giro or Tour, but Omega in the Tour will be all for Cav, and Tony in the ITT and if Kiatlowski go, to fight maybe for whrite...No way for Rigo.

The problem for Rigo was: wich other team suited for his Tour ambitions? Omega is bad with Cav, but SKY no way, Movistar has some leaders...BMC as well, Garmin as well, they trust Talansky for the future, Rabobank as well, and..Riogo was well paid in SKy, it is not a question to go to a team that cant pay a similar amount.

Anyway, I think that Omega is not the best team if you want a team around you in the Tour as Froome has, as Valverde has,...

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it would have figured heavily in his decision to sign for OPQS but, if he wants it, Uran will also be the clear choice for team principal in the hilly classics, especially LBL and Lombardia.

The Ponferrada course could be a good one for Uran, so I can see him being happy with Giro-Vuelta-Worlds this year, at least. He came mighty f'ing close in Firenze...

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
dwightyorke said:
I don't think it would have figured heavily in his decision to sign for OPQS but, if he wants it, Uran will also be the clear choice for team principal in the hilly classics, especially LBL and Lombardia.

The Ponferrada course could be a good one for Uran, so I can see him being happy with Giro-Vuelta-Worlds this year, at least. He came mighty f'ing close in Firenze...

he also was at sky

Escarabajo said:
Come on Rigo, don't go to the Giro. It is a waste of time trying for a lesser GC position in this race when you can place similar in the Tour. It makes no sense at all you going to the Giro!!
He can do similar place en the Tour, that is true, but in the Tour, all is going to be Cavendish, and a little for Tony Martin... no more. With that he has no chances to win.. in the Giro, with Quintana, Purito, Evans, as well as Porte, Scarponi,... it will be difficult, but there is a possibility even with harder rivals.

Also, is not bad to run giro and vuelta, is his first year in the team, he can mak two top 5 and a good role in Ponferrada..

Taxus4a said:
He can do similar place en the Tour, that is true, but in the Tour, all is going to be Cavendish, and a little for Tony Martin... no more. With that he has no chances to win.. in the Giro, with Quintana, Purito, Evans, as well as Porte, Scarponi,... it will be difficult, but there is a possibility even with harder rivals.

pablocastellanosarejola said:
Also, is not bad to run giro and vuelta, is his first year in the team, he can mak two top 5 and a good role in Ponferrada..
Whos cares if it is the first year in the Team. Why did he move to that team for then?

He already done the Giro twice in the last two years. He is not going to win it this year. So why go there again???

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Whos cares if it is the first year in the Team. Why did he move to that team for then?

He already done the Giro twice in the last two years. He is not going to win it this year. So why go there again???

Gotta agree, what does another Top 5 or podium adds to Uran palmares. He's done the race 2 years in a row, doing Tour now is the right.

Even Stage win at Tour would now be much more valuable.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
a stagewin would be best result yes. podium is doubtful but could be, since froome's compeition will be very weak. I don't expect the schlecks anymore and uran is no worse than valverde, or jvdb.

You guys seems to forget that Uran has improved in every Giro he attempted in the last 2 years. Maybe he can step up again as a sole team leader.

And, as he is doing the Giro, he could also focus on the Vuelta. Maybe he could fight for the victory there, against Rodriguez, Valverde and Quintana.

Taxus4a said:
So the question is: Wich team Omega will bring to the Giro??: With Brambilla, Verona and others young riders is not possible to do a good TTT, at least one of De Gendt, Tony Martin or Kiatloskwki should go to make a good TTT, and later be strong in the mountains as well. Poels, Bakelants, could be good in the TTT, but it is not the same.

But, if Rigo ride Giro, the others are supossed to be on the Tour...

Poels and De Gendt will both going to ride the Giro.

MagnusMagnussen said:
Poels and De Gendt will both going to ride the Giro.

Thanks for the info, lately I was almost sure about that... but not sure...
they are all rides to figh for a good GC, so the question is that if they would work for Rigo, as Rigo good friend Matteo Carrara worked for him in Mortirolo in his bif victory in Stelvio.
De gendt is a good rider, but he is not a guaranty in GC he finally was in the podium, but Rigo was all the Giro one step forward than him...and Rigo shine in almost all the races he race, but De Gendt is more irregular.

Poels is a very good rider, as well a rider for GC.

I think Bambrilla will go.. he is a good climber, and eeven in San Luis recently did a good ITT.
the rest? will be a team for Cav?

TRENDING THREADS