• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rujano can win this Giro, believes Savio

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yes, this is not at all a real surprise, is it? Rujano looked solid in the build-up, I didn't exactly expect him to win the Giro but it was clear he underperformed due to some unknown reason.

Mononucleosis sucks, though. Let's hope he recovers soon.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Yeah, he's an idiot for not being able to diagnose mononucleosis, from a sore throat.:rolleyes:
Never mind, look at the plus side, you already have next year's excuse sorted.

no he's an idiot for jumping to conclusions. just as you are :rolleyes:

Ryo Hazuki said:
no he's an idiot for jumping to conclusions. just as you are :rolleyes:

Of course, once again you are right.
He should have ignored the doctor's original, sore throat diagnosis
and jumped to the more obvious conclusion that it was mononucleosis.:rolleyes:

I'm quite sure that the two can patch things up, given they now know the seriousness of the problem.

Hopefully, Rujano will have more sense than you, not call Savio an idiot and burn his one, viable European boat in the process.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Cunego had mononuceleosis during 2005 Giro, and still he stayed in the race until the end and supported Simoni as much as he was able to in the mountains, though it was evident that he was clearly struggling. So it is possible, and this is what you call professionalism.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Gregory said:
Cunego had mononuceleosis during 2005 Giro, and still he stayed in the race until the end and supported Simoni as much as he was able to in the mountains, though it was evident that he was clearly struggling. So it is possible, and this is what you call professionalism.

cunego didn't have a throat infection + pfeiffer. besides it's so pathetic to compare cases you don't know anything about.

Gloin22 said:
Rujano is defo leaving Androni at the end of season. Might have been his last Giro ever too, as after this I dobut many other teams would want him in the team. Colombia possibly as only one.
Rujano's history of erratic behavior won't helping him out. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if a desperate team would hire him.

Stupid answer by Savio

When Mollema had pfeiffer beginning 2008, when they diagnosed it, they also only found traces, nothing active. This is normal. It can still bother you for a year and for some riders even longer.
Same when it was diagnosed with Cunego btw.

So Savio proves he is an idiot. Congratulations Gianni

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Stupid answer by Savio

When Mollema had pfeiffer beginning 2008, when they diagnosed it, they also only found traces, nothing active. This is normal. It can still bother you for a year and for some riders even longer.

Savio has Pellizotti now so not a big drama. Rujano is talented but unreliable.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Stupid answer by Savio

But what about this?
“[Team doctor] Luca Romano confirmed that Rujano never presented any medical pathology that would prevent him from continuing in the race,” Savio said. “In fact, in every team meeting in the first 17 stages, the rider always said that he felt good, and the team always ‘sacrificed’ two riders to ride alongside the ‘captain.’”

Savio labelled Rujano’s announcement that he was now preparing for the London 2012 Olympics as “incongruous” but insisted that the rider could still redeem himself later in the campaign.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Stupid answer by Savio

It's nice to see Ryo being represented with dignity while he's *away*, using his own favorite words :D

I think folks are simply choosing who's words they want to believe and speculating accordingly. Given the lack of definitive proof, one way or another, I suppose for me, it's currently down to credibility.
Given that Savio appears to have offered the olive branch and Rujano appears to be aiming for the fast approaching Olympics, while supposedly suffering from a long term illness, gives me cause to doubt the rider more than the manager.

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I think a lot of people are very unfair on this forum against Gianni Savio, he is a man a lot of should pay more attention to and give more respect.
When José Rujano reentered the Team last year, Gianni Savio said that this was the last chance for Rujano, as you can see if you do a search on Cyclingnews. He talked a lot about what happened in 2005 and forwards to 2011. He wanted to give José one more opportunity to race in Europe, but he also made it clear that this was the last time, no more gambling.

Unfortunately it went wrong during this year Giro d´Italia, me as a fan also made the questions "what is wrong with José?" no one knew the answer.
I think most fans of Androni was surprised when the news that he had abonded the race came out. But to blame things on virus etc. .. hm!

I have meet the Teamdoctor, a remarkleby man, honest, nice and we talked a lot about cycling, in Italy and in the world .. And I don´t think he would gamble and to tell things to please Gianni, if a rider is sick or injuried he is.. So to say "he is paid by Gianni" is just ridicoulous.

But still the Team made a marvelous Giro d´Italia: Roberto Ferrari, Miguel Rubiano, Alessandro De Marchi, Fabio Felline, Emanuele Sella (rode with antibiotics) Carlos Ochoa (got caught with bronchitis) José Serpa (rode almost the whole Giro with a broken bone in his hand). The Team is great! great riders, great staff, Generous, polite, .. or just plain best!

Best reg.
Fritz

Cykelbloggar said:
When José Rujano reentered the Team last year, Gianni Savio said that this was the last chance for Rujano, as you can see if you do a search on Cyclingnews. He talked a lot about what happened in 2005 and forwards to 2011. He wanted to give José one more opportunity to race in Europe, but he also made it clear that this was the last time, no more gambling.

[...]

I have meet the Teamdoctor, a remarkleby man, honest, nice and we talked a lot about cycling, in Italy and in the world .. And I don´t think he would gamble and to tell things to please Gianni, if a rider is sick or injuried he is.. So to say "he is paid by Gianni" is just ridicoulous.

Best reg.
Fritz

I would tend to agree with you.
Why would Savio risk to be in a controversy like that if he wasn't sure of Rujano's antics knowing very well his sponsor is the country of Venezuela where Rujano is from?

Cykelbloggar said:
I think a lot of people are very unfair on this forum against Gianni Savio, he is a man a lot of should pay more attention to and give more respect.

Unfortunately it went wrong during this year Giro d´Italia, me as a fan also made the questions "what is wrong with José?" no one knew the answer.
I think most fans of Androni was surprised when the news that he had abonded the race came out. But to blame things on virus etc. .. hm!

But still the Team made a marvelous Giro d´Italia: Roberto Ferrari, Miguel Rubiano, Alessandro De Marchi, Fabio Felline, Emanuele Sella (rode with antibiotics) Carlos Ochoa (got caught with bronchitis) José Serpa (rode almost the whole Giro with a broken bone in his hand). The Team is great! great riders, great staff, Generous, polite, .. or just plain best!

Best reg.
Fritz

Savio is quite familiar with Rujano and knows more than anyone what comes with having him on his team and the risk that it entails. He got a pretty good return on his investment last year with a great deal of exposure and a stage win. This year is the downside of the Rujano equation. Like someone said the truth is probably somewhere in the middle of Savio and Rujano's interpretations.

I agree with you that Savio is quite underrated in that he gets the more out of his riders than the 80% of the other DS' out there especially at the Giro. For the most part his teams come into the Giro every year and out perform the majority of the World Tour teams.

the journey of magnificent rujanito goes on and on

he just beat by two minutes the old record of El Desafío a la Culata, a mountain bike race

i feel in catalunya it will be quite the showdown

rujano1Culata.jpg

_O_