• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ruta del Sol - Vuelta Ciclista a Andalucía 2021 (May 18-22)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nice top 10 for Tony Tolhoek!

E1rL9LPXIAMDB4U

Reactions: Sandisfan
Orluis Aular actually has several sprint results in minor races a couple of years ago. Had hopes for him, but he never really managed to up his level at the Pro circuit.
He's only been at the pro level for a year and a half, though; 2020 was far from a 'normal' year in terms of racing etc., and he's only 24 years old, so I'd say that the hopes shouldn't be extinguished just yet. Last year's results can also be tempered by the Vuelta a Venezuela running as a non-UCI race last year, too, as he won that to defend his crown from 2019. Overall, I think his problem is going to be along similar lines to guys like Carlos Barbero. He gets his best results in sprints after some obstacles and in more complex or uphill-but-not-too-uphill sprints, and for somebody with a fast finish he's pretty good uphill - I mean, he was 15th in the Tour de Hongrie without collecting any bonus seconds in the sprints, 17th on Mount Fuji in the Tour of Japan in 2019, and last year's Vuelta a Venezuela featured a not enormous but pretty reasonably-sized MTF at San Vicente de Nirgua, probably between cat.1 and cat.2 in most races (including Venezuela's own more mountainous races like the Vuelta a Tachirá and the Vuelta a Miranda). He also, back with Matrix-Powertag, was 2nd in the Pola de Lena stage of Asturias, with a 2km @ 10% climb close to the finish, ahead of Carapaz, so he may be more for the Felline/Gavazzi kind of mould than a Trentin which is where I'd kind of had him pegged before. He's also missed out in some races since joining Caja Rural because they've chosen to prefer the more proven Ion Aberasturi for the sprints.

I don't see today's finish as more cramped than the frequently visited murito at Valdepeñas de Jaén.
The narrowest point inside the fortress comes after they've been climbing for a while, with the last section on cobbles. I'm sure Guillén is going to send Escartín on a visit there.

TRENDING THREADS