• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ruta del Sol - Vuelta Ciclista a Andalucía 2021 (May 18-22)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Koronin, you make it sound like Movistar are the worst chauvinists. I know they prefer Spanish riders, and it annoys me enough, but I don't believe for one second they would ever be so dumb to buy López and put him below Mas in the pecking order just because he's not Spanish.

At the Tour I think they will be equal co-leaders. At La Vuelta if Valverde has form he'll be above the others.

Sky/Ineos have a different philosophy than Movistar. Also Movistar will do almost anything to ensure having at minimum a co-leader of la Vuelta who is a Spaniard.
Reductio ad absurdum. You argued that Quintana crashing out of the 2014 Vuelta was proof that they were right not to have him as leader... but no team bases their plans around the team leader crashing. Even Euskaltel. Chris Froome crashed out of the 2014 Tour, but he was the defending champion and the favourite, so he was the sole leader of Sky and rightfully so. Yet your argument would appear to be that because he crashed out of that race, he wouldn't have deserved to be the leader, and when called out on this you claim it's to do with differences in team philosophy - but a rider crashing out is not part of team philosophy. Nairo Quintana had just won the Giro and was trying to do the Giro-Vuelta double, and was leading the race at the time he crashed out of it - which was proof positive that he did deserve to be the leader.

In 2007, Caisse d'Épargne abandoned ship on Pereiro and threw their weight behind the two Russians when Pereiro lost fifty seconds.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Reductio ad absurdum. You argued that Quintana crashing out of the 2014 Vuelta was proof that they were right not to have him as leader... but no team bases their plans around the team leader crashing. Even Euskaltel. Chris Froome crashed out of the 2014 Tour, but he was the defending champion and the favourite, so he was the sole leader of Sky and rightfully so. Yet your argument would appear to be that because he crashed out of that race, he wouldn't have deserved to be the leader, and when called out on this you claim it's to do with differences in team philosophy - but a rider crashing out is not part of team philosophy. Nairo Quintana had just won the Giro and was trying to do the Giro-Vuelta double, and was leading the race at the time he crashed out of it - which was proof positive that he did deserve to be the leader.

In 2007, Caisse d'Épargne abandoned ship on Pereiro and threw their weight behind the two Russians when Pereiro lost fifty seconds.

There's also a trust issue. Movistar never fully trusted Quintana. Personally I think teams should have a plan B.

But why would that have anything to do with riding for Lopez?

They don't know if they can trust him or not. He said when he signed he was going to be a co-leader in races and that he is fine with that set up. He has to prove to them they can trust him and unfortunately his getting Covid and not being able to be part of their pre season training camp didn't help and his long recovery time at least didn't set him back much due to when they want him racing for the Tour.

They don't know if they can trust him or not. He said when he signed he was going to be a co-leader in races and that he is fine with that set up. He has to prove to them they can trust him and unfortunately his getting Covid and not being able to be part of their pre season training camp didn't help and his long recovery time at least didn't set him back much due to when they want him racing for the Tour.
That's a ridiculous theory. If you sign someone, you assume you can trust that person until proven otherwise.

Quintana was definitely viewed as co-leader of the team during his time there. And he did a ton of PR appearances for Movistar (the sponsor), I'd say close to the same level as Valverde.
I don't think Mas will be anything like that. He's a good rider but doesn't have the charisma of either Quintana or Valverde.

The race co-leader talk is useless. At the Tour, Movistar won't ever need to control the race.
At the Vuelta, they probably will try to control the race. But, obviously, they're not going to make any of riders work for another when he's higher in GC.

Not for the crash, more for his reaction right afterwards (shouting at Impey).
Though, my mother did have a very practical view on things: He (Stannard) should have crossed the line - with his bike - first, and then started the shouting.
His reaction was very mild for what just happened tbh. Impey's actions were worse than the ones Bouhanni did and got a ban for. At least there you could argue that it was real racing incident with Bouhanni trying to follow the wheel of Viviani. Did anyone expect Stewart to apologise for his tweets afterwards? I doubt it.

Anyway, Stannard is confirmed to ride the Dauphine - I watched an interview with the ISN sprint coach ex Aussie Pro Allan Davis who claimed that Impey was going to win the stage, and was not to blame for the crash - It appears that ISN is trying to avoid an UCI disciplinary investigation.

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS