• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sagan Clean?

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
0% chance he's clean but we could be looking at the premier cyclist of our generation.

In the case he's busted I hope he takes his medicine and takes the 6-9 month suspension instead of dragging the case through the mud for months to years.

That and I hope he goes easy on the motors. It's comical the first couple of times but it gets old fast.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

ctaylor said:
On the bright side, at least he looks like an athletic human, rather than a Salbutamol powered stick man!
that correlates well with Sagan whole light years from best climbers ability.

So no, he doesn't look any more or less human.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

DirtyWorks said:
ctaylor said:
On the bright side, at least he looks like an athletic human, rather than a Salbutamol powered stick man!

Right. I'd argue he's clean-ish given how consistently he rides. Unlike a Froome, he was a prodigious talent.
There is basically no way to compare so called talent. So argumenting with talent doesn't make a sense.

DirtyWorks said:
ctaylor said:

Right. I'd argue he's clean-ish given how consistently he rides. Unlike a Froome, he was a prodigious talent.
It's a shame Pistolero is banned because now actually would be a good time to bring up Valverde.

Now, given your contrasting Sagan as somebody who has always had the level and consistently so vs. somebody like Froome, who is far less elegant on a bike, has deficiencies in a number of skills and so forth, I actually agree with you to some extent, but that doesn't necessarily make Sagan any cleaner per se, just that were the péloton to be completely paniagua as of tomorrow, we could expect Sagan to continue to be one of the top performers. After all, Valverde was one of the most ridiculously talented kids Spain ever produced. Not just at espoir level (which was actually his weakest time results-wise), not just at junior level, but back to cadets and back to when he was 11 years old when he went on his ridiculous winning streak that led to the "El Imbatido" nickname. Alejandro Valverde is just about the first guy you should be able to point to and say, "that guy always had the talent to be one of the best". But he's also a well-known doper and nobody in their right mind would say that his consistent excellence into his late 30s is a sign of cleanliness. Somewhere along the line he started doping and seemingly never stopped, but we can't pinpoint exactly where, because he kept on getting results.

Sagan, like Valverde, has consistently been a top results-getter from very early on. How clean that makes him is a total crapshoot. All we can say with any certainty is that on the Cipollini scale, he's more like Basso than di Luca.

Libertine Seguros said:
DirtyWorks said:
ctaylor said:

It's a shame Pistolero is banned because now actually would be a good time to bring up Valverde.

Now, given your contrasting Sagan as somebody who has always had the level and consistently so vs. somebody like Froome, who is far less elegant on a bike, has deficiencies in a number of skills and so forth, I actually agree with you to some extent, but that doesn't necessarily make Sagan any cleaner per se, just that were the péloton to be completely paniagua as of tomorrow, we could expect Sagan to continue to be one of the top performers. After all, Valverde was one of the most ridiculously talented kids Spain ever produced. Not just at espoir level (which was actually his weakest time results-wise), not just at junior level, but back to cadets and back to when he was 11 years old when he went on his ridiculous winning streak that led to the "El Imbatido" nickname. Alejandro Valverde is just about the first guy you should be able to point to and say, "that guy always had the talent to be one of the best". But he's also a well-known doper and nobody in their right mind would say that his consistent excellence into his late 30s is a sign of cleanliness. Somewhere along the line he started doping and seemingly never stopped, but we can't pinpoint exactly where, because he kept on getting results.

Sagan, like Valverde, has consistently been a top results-getter from very early on. How clean that makes him is a total crapshoot. All we can say with any certainty is that on the Cipollini scale, he's more like Basso than di Luca.

Wow, a Valverde/Sagan comparison that actually makes a lot of sense. Actually it is a good comparison. It's riders like both Valverde and Sagan that have always been good and continue to be good won't raise suspicion like a rider who was never good and then becomes great overnight.

Re:

GuyIncognito said:
Basso being that guy that even Aldo Sassi said didn't have the natural talent of others.
It's always a crapshoot with everyone, we can't know
Please tell me more. I got into cycling when he had just changed team to CSC, so I got to know him a lot around that period of time because the media in Denmark loved him. Don't really know that much before he joined up with Riis

Libertine Seguros said:
DirtyWorks said:
ctaylor said:

There are always exceptions.

Doping techniques vary. A rider will change techniques over time, and sometimes be forced to change them due to losing a doc or a new test showing up. This can cause serious performance fluctuations for athletes who are big dope users and big dope responders. What are the odds that Valverde has been on a top notch functioning doping programme every year for the last 15-20 years? There has to be a sublime talent level filling in the gaps in dope efficacy at times, in my opinion. (Not saying this to defend Valverde in some strange way.. he's just the example used for the topic)

Valv.Piti said:
GuyIncognito said:
Basso being that guy that even Aldo Sassi said didn't have the natural talent of others.
It's always a crapshoot with everyone, we can't know
Please tell me more. I got into cycling when he had just changed team to CSC, so I got to know him a lot around that period of time because the media in Denmark loved him. Don't really know that much before he joined up with Riis

Haha, no talent whatsoever..Already at the Fassa Bortolo, before CSC, challenging/ripping top dogs like Vinokourov, Beloki, Jaja, Millar and taking white jersey at the TdF :cool:

King Boonen said:
akrogirl said:
All the comments in the Clinic about Thomas and Dumoulin, but Sagan has been totally ridiculous this Tour.
I think the issue is that Sagan doesn’t have a large number of people defending him so conversations are not perpetuated.
Yeah, Sagan is a pretty clear open and shut case. A massive talent who is taking what is necessary to realize his talent in the pro peloton.

Re:

Aimar16 said:
Which part is ridiculous? Finishing more than two minutes behind his team on the 35 km TTT or a very tight sprint victory over Kristoff?

As we were watching the team time trial, I told my husband that I thought Sagan was tanking it so that he had a better chance of winning the the sprint the following day.

TRENDING THREADS