• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Samuel Samu Sanchez official awesomness thread.

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm really dissapointed about this as I thought he would certainly be someone to animate the race in the alps and Pyrenees and make it a far more unpredictable race. With someone like him gone the tour will definitely be poorer for him having gone.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
jsem94 said:
Samu + Anton in the Vuelta? If that is the case... it just makes the wait for the Vuelta all that more terrible.

I have this dreadful feeling come the 2nd week of the Vuelta it will in fact be Nieve leading Euskaltel.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Sad to see anyone crashout.

His tears made me immediately think of the training and sacrifice that goes into a goal event for these guys and the heart break when it ends with a crash on a non decript piece of road...until next year.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
hoerpi said:
Especially since Nieve is supposed to skip the Vuelta this year :)

Really?
Do you have anymore on information on that I would be interested to know why he would when it would not affect his season.

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Froome19 said:
Really?
Do you have anymore on information on that I would be interested to know why he would when it would not affect his season.

This article indicates that it will be too much to do the Vuelta. Lombardia and Beijing both have good routes for him this year.

“What I want now is to know the exact extent of the injuries.
Health comes first, then we'll talk about schedules, competitions... I look to the future with optimism, so the first thing is to know the exact extent of the lesions. Once you know, start working on the recovery as soon as possible."

"I’ve broken something for the first time in my career,” he said. “I’ve often hit the ground, but I had never done myself much harm. I don’t remember the fall very well; there was a slowdown and I braked too, but I noticed that someone rammed me from behind and I went flying. I took a good hit and then I also noticed that someone fell on me. I tried to get up quickly, but I was dizzy and I had to lie down again. Then I realised that I could not continue."

“For the first time in a long time I cried, it was a very tough situation,” he continued. “I’ve made a lot of sacrifices to get it to this race, and having to leave it like this hurts. I am sorry for my teammates, who have done to much to help me and I imagine will be disappointed; but they are great professionals and I am sure you will see them in this Tour."

"What remains now is to absorb what happened,” he concluded. “I said yesterday that it is important not to fall... Despite losing a minute in the day yesterday, both the team and I were relaxed. We knew it was a long Tour, with the two time trials, the Alps and Pyrénées there was a lot of race to come and was finding my rhythm."

“Today's stage I liked, but the way things are I don’t want to look back but forward, take it all in and learn. When all goes well you don’t get many lessons, but when these things happen, you have to learn.”

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...-Sanchez-but-collarbone-appears-unbroken.aspx

May 19, 2011
Visit site
"I cried in the ambulance, and I cried a lot, but that was because I knew what I could have done in this year's Tour," he said, "even though I lost some time on Saturday's stage, I could tell I was getting better and better.

"If you are going like crap and have an injury, well that's it, you abandon and move on, but I knew I was going well.

He says he was particularly moved by some riders' interest in his health. Ivan Basso called him up on his mobile as soon as the stage had finished, to see if he was ok. "That's the nice side of this sport," Sánchez concluded.

maxmartin said:
He says he was particularly moved by some riders' interest in his health. Ivan Basso called him up on his mobile as soon as the stage had finished, to see if he was ok. "That's the nice side of this sport," Sánchez concluded.

"Wiggins also called and told me to go f*ck myself and I deserved to crash and next time I see Alberto to tell him he's a c***"

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Btw Samu injuries are less than feared. He didn't break his collarbone but did fracture his hand. He might defend his Title in Lodon, however not in great shape :)

Still something to be happy about, means he will have better form at Vuelta and Worlds.

201279195050_cas_samue.jpg