• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Samuel Samu Sanchez official awesomness thread.

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
nvpacchi said:
Class, nuff said

I'd love to see him do Giro/Vuelta double next year. He has said he would like to participate in the Giro again, but if/when no one knows

Agree, I'd much rather see him dominate in the Giro or Vuelta then see him try the tour again. I think next year he should do the GT that is most suited to him, I think he could do very well in the Giro.

Parrulo said:
make that 4.

Nibali doesn't feel as talented , not uphill, not downhill and not time trialling.

Sanchez was almost at Andy/Contador's level in 2010, and was pretty much the best climber in 2011. Nibali was crushed by Contador in 2011, and couldn't keep up with Wiggins this year.

I can't remember them racing each other recently, but my feeling is that Sanchez is a better all round rider than Nibali.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
mb2612 said:
Nibali doesn't feel as talented , not uphill, not downhill and not time trialling.

Sanchez was almost at Andy/Contador's level in 2010, and was pretty much the best climber in 2011. Nibali was crushed by Contador in 2011, and couldn't keep up with Wiggins this year.

I can't remember them racing each other recently, but my feeling is that Sanchez is a better all round rider than Nibali.

and only 5th in GC. LOL

May 19, 2011
Visit site
mb2612 said:

this is just laughable, your feeling must be so special and so different from majority normal people:D

I thought you were ignoring me :D

Anyway, you're right. In 2011 he lost heaps of time in the first stages, and he had a bad day on the Galibier stage, but other than that he was the best climber (or at least was always the first of the favorites group in mountain stages).

May 19, 2011
Visit site
mb2612 said:
Well, do you have any evidence to the contrary?

one solid evidence I have is racing results unless you think one olympic gold medal is more than two GT win, if that is the case we have to go back to your special feelings.

Apr 26, 2010
be.net
i really don't get this pointless debate. we're not talking here about cycling palmares - we're talking about pure awesomeness. :D

maxmartin said:
one solid evidence I have is racing results unless you think one olympic gold medal is more than two GT win, if that is the case we have to go back to your special feelings.

if you thin Nibali has two GT wins then you clearly have special feelings.

Snachez has won more GT mountain stages than Nibali, more PT TTs than Nibali, and done better in GT TTs as well.

Sanchez has a better record in LBL and Lombardia combined.

Nibali on the other hand, has picked his moment, and managed to peak for races which better riders are not. Hence why he has such a good results, and hence why I'm a fan. It doesn't mean he's a better rider than Sanchez.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:

LOL First, timing of that thread is off, Nibali did very poor in Vuelta and Samu did a pretty decent job in Tour. Second only 64 people are voting, the sample is just too small to get a meaningful conclusion. Third, since you are simply asking who is better, you should at least have a third choice of the same level. I bet if you have similar thread right now or better after Nibali stands on WC podium, polling result will be different.:D

May 19, 2011
Visit site
mb2612 said:
if you thin Nibali has two GT wins then you clearly have special feelings.

LOL, I am trying to say is IF Samu won two GT then i would consider his Palmares at similar level with Nibali, unless you think Olympic gold is worth or more than two GTs.

Parrulo said:
at 27 samu hadn't half the palmares nibali already has, actually imo nibali already has a better palmares then samu as imho a GT win > olympic gold. that should count for something.

The argument isnt about who will have a better career or who will go down in history as the better rider. Nibali no doubt.

Its about who is better right now, as regards the tour de france, and last few years Samu has been a better climber and tter. 1 on 1 it would be a surprise to see Nibali beat Sanchez over a 3 week gt.

Of course over the next few years Samu will fade and Nibali will continue to improve and he will surpass him.

Its like arguing that Moreno Moser is a better rider right now than Gilbert because he has so many years to improve.

maxmartin said:
LOL First, timing of that thread is off, Nibali did very poor in Vuelta and Samu did a pretty decent job in Tour. Second only 64 people are voting, the sample is just too small to get a meaningful conclusion. Third, since you are simply asking who is better, you should at least have a third choice of the same level. I bet if you have similar thread right now or better after Nibali stands on WC podium, polling result will be different.:D

Its about who would have done better in the tour de france this year had samu not had his 2 crashes ( when he was 34, NOT, next year when he is at the past it age). Or if you want, who would have done better in 2010 or 11 had Nibali been there, or Giro, Vuelta in 2010 and 11.

GTs comprise of 2 major aspects.

1 tts, 2 climbing.

When it comes to tting Sanchez has clearly been the better tter, only cineteq who confuses Nibali with Contador, would dispute that.

As for mountains, it seems to me Samus mountain performances in 2010 and 2011 tour de france, are clearly superior to any mountain performance Nibali has ever shown.

Or do you disagree with that.

well hitch if it is unfair to compare a peak of his abiliyies nibali to a then past his peak sanchez, why is it fair to compare a peak of his abilities sanchez to a developing nibali?

also to the guy that said sanchez has a better LBL and GdL record then nibali, well sanchez best result in lbl is a 10th place so i wonder how does that beat a second place.

on the GdL sanchez best result is a second place and nibali's is a 5th, tho nibali did mess up big time last year when he could have won if he hadn't rushed into a solo ride 50k from the line.

in terms of 1 week races they both have 1 major win each funny enough achieved this year for both( TA for nibbles and VaPB for samu)

and in terms of GT's nibali has 1 win and 3 more podiums while samu has no win and only has a vuelta podium (i don't consider the 2010 tour a podium)

i would go and say they are at the same level but that doesn't suit the hitchs way of thinking so he will just find some way to make it the way he wants :rolleyes: