• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Santos Tour Down Under Start List

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
maltiv said:
Alexander Kristoff not allowed to start the TDU because the UCI hasn't bothered to test him 4 times for the Biological passport (he doesn't have one as he was continental last year), thus they don't allow him to start, or do any races whatsoever before they have done it. So far they have done...0 tests.

Could take some time. UCI is amazing. No, really.

I suspect Andreas Stauff (Quick Step) is not starting for the same reason
http://www.qsi-cycling.com/nl/QST_DownUnder

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
This is going to be great!

1. DAVIS Allan AUS
11. ARMSTRONG Lance USA
21. EVANS Cadel AUS
41. GREIPEL Andre GER
107. VICHOT Arthur FRA
111. VALVERDE Alejandro ESP

Six immensely talented riders fighting it out for three podium places. Riding for French outfit Francaise Des Jeux, young upstart Arthur Vichot may be the dark horse in the 2010 TDU. The local support for the Frenchman has moved up a gear since his team's arrival in Adelaide earlier today.

spin sam said:

1. DAVIS Allan AUS
11. ARMSTRONG Lance USA
21. EVANS Cadel AUS
41. GREIPEL Andre GER
107. VICHOT Arthur FRA

Six immensely talented riders fighting it out for three podium places. Riding for French outfit Francaise Des Jeux, young upstart Arthur Vichot may be the dark horse in the 2010 TDU. The local support for the Frenchman has moved up a gear since his team's arrival in Adelaide earlier today.

well, 2 out of 6 ain't the worst I've seen...but again, maybe it is...
http://tdu.cyclingfever.com/index.html

spin sam said:

1. DAVIS Allan AUS
11. ARMSTRONG Lance USA
21. EVANS Cadel AUS
41. GREIPEL Andre GER
107. VICHOT Arthur FRA

I don't know anything about Vichot but of your list only Davis and Greipel will be seriously gunning for the podium. Armstrong, Evans and Valverde will be just there to begin stretching the off-season cobwebs out of their legs (and if Valverde is anything like Pereiro - he'll mostly be there to hit the nightclubs).

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Tugboat said:
I don't know anything about Vichot but of your list only Davis and Greipel will be seriously gunning for the podium. Armstrong, Evans and Valverde will be just there to begin stretching the off-season cobwebs out of their legs (and if Valverde is anything like Pereiro - he'll mostly be there to hit the nightclubs).

Dunno how hard Davis was 'trying' at the Aussie Nat's on the weekend, but he looked very ordinary & overweight. He'll need to find some form quickly if he's going to challenge at the TDU, regardless of what he's said in the media

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Some twitter updates from today.....

Rupert Guinness:
"I have never heard/felt so much buzz abt the Tour Down Under from so many - from fans, riders, gen non-cycling public and newspaper editors! "
about 13 hours ago from web

"Have a feeling this year's Tour Down Under will exceed past editions in crowd nos, hype and how the peloton races. Grt way to start 2010! "
about 13 hours ago from web

Lance:
"@rupertguinness now that is cool! All of us in the peloton are psyched for @tourdownunder. Show time!"
about 12 hours ago from UberTwitter in reply to rupertguinness

Heading to the airport here in Kona. Sad to be leaving this great island - can't wait to get back. Looking fwd to getting to Adelaide tho!!
about 2 hours ago from UberTwitter

Cadel:
This Melbourne weather has melted my Caesar Salad :eek:(
7:42 PM Jan 10th from Echofon @johnlelangue

Welcome to Australia! Only 40C there? 43 here in Melbourne..... Be careful boys....
7:35 PM Jan 10th from Echofon

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
What's the deal with Travis Meyer next week? He's on the CyclingFever startlist for the TdU, but isn't he going to Bejing to race on the track starting on the 22nd? And if he is riding for a couple of days at the TdU, why on the UNISA-Australia team?

Official Website Startlist:
UNISA - AUSTRALIA (AUS)
181. MATTHEWS Michael ACT
182. DENNIS Rohan SA
183. CLARKE Simon VIC
184. ROE Timothy SA
185. CANTWELL Jonathan QLD
186. McDONALD Peter NSW
187. Australia open road champion (TBC)

CyclingFever
UNISA - AUSTRALIA
181 MATTHEWS Michael Australia
182 DENNIS Rohan Australia
183 CLARKE Simon Australia
184 ROE Thimothy Australia
185 CANTWELL Jonathan Australia
186 MCDONALD Peter Australia
187 MEYER Travis Austral

:confused:

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
asockpuppet said:
Dunno how hard Davis was 'trying' at the Aussie Nat's on the weekend, but he looked very ordinary & overweight. He'll need to find some form quickly if he's going to challenge at the TDU, regardless of what he's said in the media

I agree and Mt Bunningyong is a pretty similar climb to Wilunga Hill
Both are about 3 to 4km long and are about 6 - 7%

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I agree and Mt Bunningyong is a pretty similar climb to Wilunga Hill
Both are about 3 to 4km long and are about 6 - 7%

I guess the biggest difference in the 2 climbs is they don't have to get over Wilunga Hill 16 times!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
asockpuppet said:
I guess the biggest difference in the 2 climbs is they don't have to get over Wilunga Hill 16 times!
+1
The pace will be more on though on Wilunga as some teams will be trying to rip the race apart to try and launch a rider away on Wilunga.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
*G*K*S* said:
What's the deal with Travis Meyer next week? He's on the CyclingFever startlist for the TdU, but isn't he going to Bejing to race on the track starting on the 22nd? And if he is riding for a couple of days at the TdU, why on the UNISA-Australia team?

UNISA - AUSTRALIA (AUS)
182. DENNIS Rohan SA
183. CLARKE Simon VIC
184. ROE Timothy SA
186. McDONALD Peter NSW

CyclingFever
UNISA - AUSTRALIA
187 MEYER Travis Austral

You'll have to ask Lucybears about Cyclingfever. Personally I don't think Travis Meyer will be at the start and that Kemp will probably get the spot, but there still hasn't been an official announcement.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Cyclingfever have jumped to the conclusion that as Travis Meyer is national champion, he will take that reserved spot in Unisa. But thats just not going to happen.

Unless Garmin change their planned lineup, he wont be in the race.

*G*K*S* said:

UNISA - AUSTRALIA (AUS)
182. DENNIS Rohan SA
183. CLARKE Simon VIC
184. ROE Timothy SA
186. McDONALD Peter NSW

CyclingFever
UNISA - AUSTRALIA
187 MEYER Travis Austral

he's not on cyclingfever startlist any more. David Kemp will be added if my dutch friends get their act together....

Tugboat said:

precisely,

"I won't even try to win it," from Valverde

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
asockpuppet said:

The race report on CN said he was doing some work on the front of the peloton in the last few laps, but I don't remember seeing that (from a vantage point near the top of the hill). From what I recall, Allan and Scott got dropped by the peloton up the climb on the last couple of laps.

Had they been doing any work on the front before that, though?

spin sam said:

1. DAVIS Allan AUS
11. ARMSTRONG Lance USA
21. EVANS Cadel AUS
41. GREIPEL Andre GER
107. VICHOT Arthur FRA

btw, if anybody doesn't know why spin sam has Vichot in his six choices, this thread explains all
http://www.pacc.org.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2337

The best way to see the race is to hire a decent car with sat navigation and plot the day's ride. Last year it was possible to see the race 2 or 3 times plus the finish. My buddy and I did that and also took in a winery or two during the race on most days. (GREAT wineries in SA!).

There are organised bus tours too, which pick the best spots for viewing but I imagine they'd be booked out by now.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
taiwan said:
It's just a wind up, I think. Hopefully Vichot will find out what's happening before he gets paranoid.

They are even talking about waiting outside his hotel each morning to get his autograph and photo taken. If he doesn't figure it out, he will have a restraining order against them IMO.

TRENDING THREADS