• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sean Yates

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
BroDeal said:
Yates confirms that Wiggins threatened to pull out of the 2012 Tour because of Froome riding ahead of him on a stage. It is a tragedy and a stain on cycling that a crybaby like this is recognized as winning the Tour.

The way Froome was riding, Wiggo did pull out of last year's Tour - even if it was virtual. He wasn't even in the same race. Froome made him look like a complete fraud, and was too stupid to realize the doubt he was casting on himself in the process.

Dave.

Bernie's eyesore said:
Given how bitter Yates seems to be about the way he was forced out at Sky, it's quite surprising he hasn't chosen to reveal any of his dark secrets about Sky's doping programme in this new book. Obviously he didn't want his sons to know the truth about what their dad used to get up to, that's the only explanation I can think of. Now he's lumbered with a book which will barely sell a copy when he could easily have had a massive best seller on his hands.

Yeh: he could easily have lied and sold more copies
But then he might well have gone to jail
Open your eyes!

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
D-Queued said:
The way Froome was riding, Wiggo did pull out of last year's Tour - even if it was virtual. He wasn't even in the same race. Froome made him look like a complete fraud, and was too stupid to realize the doubt he was casting on himself in the process.

Dave.

Good one ! This year , all he has to do is sign on and everyone is happy ! It remains to be seen what takes place at the Tour of Britain ?

" "he has had two strokes and has a pacemaker fitted to his ailing heart"

Didn't know that, wow that's terrible, how can he even be climbing Mont Ventoux and Alpe-d'Huez with a pacemaker ?!"

Couple of Giros past , i rode up the TT course on the rest day with him . The year before i was riding on the rest day in one direction , as he was riding the other , around that bump that they used for the ITT the next day . Both times he was getting along pretty quickly . He was training for races both times , so the pacemaker was indeed working well . As regards the strokes , whilst i knew of them , i am not sure of the timeframe ?

veganrob said:
Yates sounds like a bitter dude but I agree with you, he is not giving up anything.

Well put yourself in his shoes. Everything was going well until idiot Lance s c r e w e d over Floyd's entry for the Tour of California and Floyd wrote his letter. Sean was doing what every other pro on the juice had been doing, working with the new bunch of "clean riders". All the jabber, jabber, jabber, clean Sky, zero tolerance, stuff was being peddled with no real problem until Barry gets blown out of the water with his statement to USADA. Then with the spotlight on Sky, "I wuz shocked" Brailsford needs a sideshow and act to show how ruthless he is on throwing out all the dopers he has hired. So he throws Yates under the bus. No easy treatment for Sean like Sutton gets. Sean was the better rider doing the business with the boys n Lance. Sutton was riding round city centres in the UK. Both undoubtedly up to their eyes in it like everyone on the scene at the time
Sean has to leave with nothing. If Yates had been dodgy and likely to squeal his head off he would have been found a nice little background job.

So he does the book. More of the "I saw nuffing guv" story. People can either be dumb and think that although the PED arms race has been nuclear for 20 years and clearly the vast fortune spent on tests has only caught the odd imbecile who can't do the sums, Sean is talking about physical ability, or for those who can add 1 and 1 and get close to 2, Sean is putting it in language that is as close to exposure as his code of ethics will allow.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Yates confirms that Wiggins threatened to pull out of the 2012 Tour because of Froome riding ahead of him on a stage. It is a tragedy and a stain on cycling that a crybaby like this is recognized as winning the Tour.

It also blew the 'cool mod dude' personality he was trying so hard to cultivate out of the 'Sky' :D

Wiggins could be the weak link in spilling the beans on Sky.

Freddythefrog said:
Well certainly Yates ain't going to be the guy that cracks, nor for that matter is it going to be Tony Doyle, Malcolm Elliott, Shane Sutton or Boardman.

Or maybe nobody's going to do it, because there are no beans to be spilled.
There sure is some dirty washing being aired in public, but thats not the same thing.
Although one causes the other sometimes;)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
coinneach said:
Or maybe nobody's going to do it, because there are no beans to be spilled.
There sure is some dirty washing being aired in public, but thats not the same thing.
Although one causes the other sometimes;)

Course not. Wiggins went from gruppetto to podium on pillows, warm ups and warms downs, same for Froome. :rolleyes:

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
BroDeal said:
It is a tragedy and a stain on cycling that a crybaby like this [Wiggins] is recognized as winning the Tour.

FFS. Don't be such a drama queen!

We get that you don't like Wiggins, but your post above is the sort of thing that my maiden aunt would say when she had over done the dose of gin in her afternoon tea!

9731131833_b3f651c819_o.jpg

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Wallace and Gromit said:
Well I wouldn't disagree with that, but describing the situation as a tragedy and a stain on cycling is just over emotional b*llocks.

I dont think BroDeal is being over emotional. He is critical of Wiggins being a cry baby. BroDeal is telling it straight. When the lat time a GT winner was crying in the yellow about leaving the race because he team mate dropped him?

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
I dont think BroDeal is being over emotional. He is critical of Wiggins being a cry baby. BroDeal is telling it straight.

Wiggins complaining about Froome is a tragedy? Come on...

The problem with applying such labels to nigh-on irrelevant situations is that it trivialises the serious stuff. One might think that a clearly doped up 42 year old winning the Vuelta is something of a tragedy for cycling, but it's apparently no more serious that an inter-team spat that is being heavily milked to sell a few books. (On the assumptions that a tragedy is well up the scale of seriousness. Or would Horner winning be "very tragic"?)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Wallace and Gromit said:

Shakespearean tragedy ;)

Wallace and Gromit said:
The problem with applying such labels to nigh-on irrelevant situations is that it trivialises the serious stuff. One might think that a clearly doped up 42 year old winning the Vuelta is something of a tragedy for cycling, but it's apparently no more serious that an inter-team spat that is being heavily milked to sell a few books. (On the assumptions that a tragedy is well up the scale of seriousness. Or would Horner winning be "very tragic"?)

So we dont believe Yates? Sell a few books? No longer in the sky fold so dismiss it.

Wiggins was a doped up 32 year old winning the tdf. Yep it was a tradegy. Horner a near 42 year old winning La Vuelta is a comedy.

Wallace and Gromit said:

This is not complaining about a teammate. This was someone who was leader of his team leading the Tour and was about to leave the race because a teammate showed him up on a climb. This goes way beyond a tiff with a teammate. This was disgraceful behavior by someone in a sport that celebrates the ability to suffer. This is not a rider that anyone should be proud of as a representative of the sport. What is the moral from this crybaby? If you suffer a setback--well, not even a setback, but a hint of one that does not affect your chances of winning--pout and moan and tell everyone you want to leave the race?

Wiggins has less grinta than Andy Schleck. In fact, he makes Schleck look like Jens Voigt in comparison. Aside from his natural and contemptible pantywaist, Wiggins problem with Froome was that he showed everyone the race was fixed in the same way the Brits used to whinge about Ferrari fixing races for Schumi. If Wiggins had any honor or integrity, which he does not as proved by the way he broke his word with Garmin, then the would hand over his TdF title to Froome. Armstrong is handing over his Olympic medal. Why cannot Wiggins hand over his illegitimate TdF jerseys?

BroDeal said:
LeMond never threatened to pull out. He was just p!ssed that Hinault broke his word. LeMond then went out on the road and beat the guy. I am not seeing a parallel. In fact it looks like the exact opposite.

From "Slaying the Badger" chapter 13, "I said to Tapie, 'F*** it, I'm done, I'm going home.' I said, 'I'm not going to race against Hinault, against my teammate. I can't do it any more.'"

Lemond says it was an empty threat and he wasn't really going to do it, but then I imagine Wiggo's comments would fall in the same category.

wansteadimp said:
From "Slaying the Badger" chapter 13, "I said to Tapie, 'F*** it, I'm done, I'm going home.' I said, 'I'm not going to race against Hinault, against my teammate. I can't do it any more.'"

Lemond says it was an empty threat and he wasn't really going to do it, but then I imagine Wiggo's comments would fall in the same category.

Judging by Wiggins fragile ego, I think he meant it.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
BroDeal said:
He was just p!ssed that Hinault broke his word. LeMond then went out on the road and beat the guy. I am not seeing a parallel. In fact it looks like the exact opposite.

I suggest you check out the TT result two days after Froome went "off message". Wiggins beat Froome by miles.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
BroDeal said:
If Wiggins had any honor or integrity, which he does not as proved by the way he broke his word with Garmin, then the would hand over his TdF title to Froome.

Never had you down as a Froome fan, Bro. You'll get into trouble with the Forum mafia for suggesting that the Forum's second favourite definite doper deserved to win the Tour last year. At the very least, you'll get labelled a dopers' apologist or a Skybot. It could be as bad a horse's head in your bed from the Hog.