• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Shane Sutton - Team Sky coach

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
bobbins said:
He's not Brailsfords bodyguard, I think that title belongs to Fran Millar ;)

Which races did he win doped?

What Sky should be providing is transparency not zero tolerance.

I’m very uneasy about the shuffling of the deck chairs. I know Sutton has some very bad news coming soon so moving him to the background is more political than anti-doping.

Sky are making a mockery of the sport.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Why would they want to open a can of worms?

They are getting Knighthoods FFS
:D
thehog said:
I’m very uneasy about the shuffling of the deck chairs. I know Sutton has some very bad news coming soon so moving him to the background is more political than anti-doping.
do share

sky high

thehog said:

Sky are making a mockery of the sport.

me thinks that team sky are more interested in taking part in races

bad news for shane sutton? please tell more.............

when did making a mockery of the forum stop members posting?

As ever with anything to do with Sky, 2 possible explanations (at least!:eek:)

#1 Poor recovery from head injury; not wishing to travel so much etc

#2 Moving to track away from road provides more protection for News International if the rumours of drug taking in the 80's turn into allegations

Believe what you like!:)

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
sniper said:
Britain is the new Spain.

Yep Sutton is Britain/Australia's Valverde. Placing highly in such races as the Norwich Spring Classic, Sealink International and the Mazda Alpine tour. Questions need to be answered.

blackcat said:
thats a rhetorical question :D

I'm just curious - apparently Sutton was really only a coach, Yates only really drove the car, Leinders was only there to give advice on liquids, Julich was just a friendly face to the riders...

All these people who weren't involved in having anything to do with the team riding like USP.

Next it will be revealed that all that Dave 'we're investigating that' Brailsford's role was merely PR and making tea for Wiggins at the end of a stage.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I like Max Sciandri for one, as the mule for Cavendish.

Scandri as Motomax.

he also brings an excel spreadsheet from Luigi Cecchini.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:

This depends on the purpose of Sky's actions.

Sky's management (or most likely News International's lawyers) want to be able disassociate themselves from any riders or team-members found to have been doping in the past. The new "Zero Tolerance Policy" gives dodgy employees the chance to fess up and leave on good terms or get sacked in future.

Sky can then clear demonstrate they took doping seriously post-USADA, with subsequent relevations clearly the responsibility of the employees concerned if they signed the document knowing they had skeletons in the cupboard. As Sky can't question employees under oath, this is realistically all they can do.

I don't think Sky is bothered about clean cycling per se or the Clinic and other such forums; they are concerned about wider public opinion in the UK should something emerge in the future. My guess is that public opinion will accept that an employee whose dodgy past emerges after they were given the chance to "do the decent thing" is not Sky's fault. Particularly if they happen to be foreign.

There's a huge amount of goodwill in the UK towards Sir Brad and Sir Dave, and a very strong view that Sky, GB, Wiggo etc are clean. This goodwill/view will only be compromised if one of the current riders/senior managements gets busted for / seriously implicated in a recent offence (or Sir Brad turns into John Terry). Until this good will is eroded, internet chatter, even if well-founded, will most likely be dismissed as conspiracy theories/jealousy.

I'm no fortune teller, mind you. The Daily Mail may out Wiggo tomorrow, with pictures of him simultaneously taking EPO and sh*gging Chris Froome's other half!

Joachim

BANNED
Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Originally Posted by thehog

So what do people actually want here, because there seems to be some considerable confusion on this forum.

On the one hand, you have people doing their best to point out any possible Sky employee with some kind of skeleton in their closet, willing that it hits the headlines, but then critiscising the action taken by Sky against team members who get exposed. This is contradictory.

Now don't get me wrong, the accusation that Leinders may have been employed to provide doping assistance is reasonable, although it is far from a given. That staffers such as Sean Yates and Shane Sutton doped during their careers is neither here nor there.

Why were you all not shouting and screaming about Vaughters doping, and calling for his downfall in the years that he was acting as a team director prior to his confession?

Joachim said:
So what do people actually want here, because there seems to be some considerable confusion on this forum.

On the one hand, you have people doing their best to point out any possible Sky employee with some kind of skeleton in their closet, willing that it hits the headlines, but then critiscising the action taken by Sky against team members who get exposed. This is contradictory.

Now don't get me wrong, the accusation that Leinders may have been employed to provide doping assistance is reasonable, although it is far from a given. That staffers such as Sean Yates and Shane Sutton doped during their careers is neither here nor there.

Why were you all not shouting and screaming about Vaughters doping, and calling for his downfall in the years that he was acting as a team director prior to his confession?

No it isn't ;)

Shane Sutton

bobbins said:
He's not Brailsfords bodyguard, I think that title belongs to Fran Millar ;)

Which races did he win doped?

Think the 'Mail on Sunday' has a list of the races from the riders who he cheated out of prize money -race bonus- and future better contracts..

Wasn't he asked to leave the 1988 Tour of Ireland by an Irish Official called Pat, when he tried to pass off somebody else's urine at a dope test ???

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
orbeas said:
Think the 'Mail on Sunday' has a list of the races from the riders who he cheated out of prize money -race bonus- and future better contracts..

Wasn't he asked to leave the 1988 Tour of Ireland by an Irish Official called Pat, when he tried to pass off somebody else's urine at a dope test ???

Really? - got a link for that?

Wallace and Gromit said:
This depends on the purpose of Sky's actions.

Sky's management (or most likely News International's lawyers) want to be able disassociate themselves from any riders or team-members found to have been doping in the past. The new "Zero Tolerance Policy" gives dodgy employees the chance to fess up and leave on good terms or get sacked in future.

Sky can then clear demonstrate they took doping seriously post-USADA, with subsequent relevations clearly the responsibility of the employees concerned if they signed the document knowing they had skeletons in the cupboard. As Sky can't question employees under oath, this is realistically all they can do.

I don't think Sky is bothered about clean cycling per se or the Clinic and other such forums; they are concerned about wider public opinion in the UK should something emerge in the future. My guess is that public opinion will accept that an employee whose dodgy past emerges after they were given the chance to "do the decent thing" is not Sky's fault. Particularly if they happen to be foreign.

There's a huge amount of goodwill in the UK towards Sir Brad and Sir Dave, and a very strong view that Sky, GB, Wiggo etc are clean. This goodwill/view will only be compromised if one of the current riders/senior managements gets busted for / seriously implicated in a recent offence (or Sir Brad turns into John Terry). Until this good will is eroded, internet chatter, even if well-founded, will most likely be dismissed as conspiracy theories/jealousy.

I'm no fortune teller, mind you. The Daily Mail may out Wiggo tomorrow, with pictures of him simultaneously taking EPO and sh*gging Chris Froome's other half!

The problem is not now. Its 3-5 years from now.

When Jullich doesn’t get another job and Porte gets busted and does a tell all, he’ll tell the world the role Jullich played at Sky.

Jullich with a 2 year NDA, bitter, angry and twisted will also tell all about Porte, Wiggins, Froome and Sky.

That’s what cycling does. It tries to suppress to doping stories two years later. But they always bubble to the top.

USPS, T-Mobile, Kelme, Rabobank etc. etc. etc. – all of them came out in the end.

It just takes one guy to go down and then dominos fall.

TRENDING THREADS