• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Shane Sutton - Team Sky coach

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

When I was a kid I was always confused by the word “curry” because my non-Indian friends used it in a way that didn’t make any sense to me. They called everything from a dry potato saute with spices, to soupy lentils, to chicken in a cream sauce “curry.” Indians usually only use the word “curry” when they are speaking English and then only when referring to something with a sauce or gravy, rather than a spice.

Curry is a word invented by the British back when they ruled India. It is the anglicized version of the Tamil word kari, meaning sauce and is now commonly used to describe almost any food of South Asian origin.

I used to get really upset when people would use the word “curry”. I would insist that foods be called by their proper names because there is no such thing as curry in Indian food and that curries are a British invention.

http://indiaphile.info/what-is-curry-and-a-recipe-for-garam-masala/

Yup. As someone who cooks a lot of Sindhi, Punjabi, Goan and Maharashtran foods I'll agree that curry refers to a gravy based dish. Sabji is a dry (ex: aloo ghobi) or semi-dry food that is almost like a stir-fry. Dal refers to lentil based dishes and can range from thick to soupy. Kadhis are yogurt based and usually soupy - often with dumpling like additions. Chutneys are sauces and dips. Pickles are thick, preserved sauces such as lime pickle and are served much like a chutney. Masala can either refer to a spice blend or a cooked spice and tomato/onion blend. The latter is usually the base for a gravy.

John Swanson

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Catwhoorg said:
The biggest question, is it Dal, Dhal or Daal ?

Depends which language you're speaking! Dal is Hindi and I think Dhal is Sanskrit or something. Daal is most likely a transliteration. There's lots of different words for the same thing in India. Both Shepu and Suva (Hindi) refer to Dill.

John Swanson

Re:

The Carrot said:
It'll be interesting to see what happens next. Anyone who crosses Sutton is usually 'toast' and it doesn't take a lot to cross him. That system of management works only if you have lots of capable replacements waiting in the wings, but that doesn't seem to be the case at the mo. Trott has publicly backed her team mate and Kenny has actually criticised Sutton, so he won't be happy. Off course the riders' comments would never have 'made the light of day' had they been uttered to a mainstream newspaper.

Kenny hasn't won much, by his standards, recently, but as Gregory Bauge said to him: 'So, if I understand you well, for the next four years you will just relax and then when it comes to Rio [the 2016 Olympics], bang'
To which Jason Kenny OBE replied "Oui, mon ami, or perhaps since
the Worlds are in London I might just go 'bang' there as well." :eek: :)

#ChaRiotsofFire

Re:

The Carrot said:
Looks like the latest 'marginal gains' have been broken out a few months early.
It may look like that to you, but perhaps you didn't watch the event and just prefer Clinic banalities as the explanation of any success. Occasionally, giving a little credit where it its due adds to one's own credit.

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site

wrinklyvet said:
The Carrot said:
It may look like that to you, but perhaps you didn't watch the event and just prefer Clinic banalities as the explanation of any success. Occasionally, giving a little credit where it its due adds to one's own credit.

I was talking about something like new tub glue making a difference. Why, what did you think I meant?

The Carrot said:
wrinklyvet said:
The Carrot said:

I was talking about something like new tub glue making a difference. Why, what did you think I meant?
Yes, that's plausible - but no more than that!

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
pastronef said:
they stepped up for the week end

men sprint and women omnium until now

kudos Shane!

Kudos indeed, clearly a genius. Looks like the strategy of calling your charges 'c___s' regularly, works. Perhaps I'll see if that works with the people I'm responsible for.

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes! yesssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“The boys timed it so well and this is right up there. It brings everything together for them. It’s a special moment for the guys and the team. What a spectacle,” Great Britain’s Technical Director Shane Sutton told Cyclingnews after the race.

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
pastronef said:

“The boys timed it so well and this is right up there. It brings everything together for them. It’s a special moment for the guys and the team. What a spectacle,” Great Britain’s Technical Director Shane Sutton told Cyclingnews after the race.

Pass the tissues.

To the victor go the spoils and therein lies the problem.

The Carrot said:
pastronef said:

Pass the tissues.

To the victor go the spoils and therein lies the problem.

Very cryptic. Pretend I am stupid and tell me what the problem is.

When Varnish questioned the decision not to renew her contract, she alleges Sutton told her that, at 25, she was ‘too old’ and she should ‘just move on and get on with having a baby’.

She also describes a very macho culture within British Cycling; an environment in which Varnish says she was once told her ‘ass’ was too big. Varnish says she has been completely cut off from the British Cycling programme since being axed.

‘Don’t get me wrong, the boys don’t get it easy,’ she says, ‘but I can’t imagine him (Sutton) saying something to one of the men about their body shape or telling them to go off and have a baby. After 2012 I was told that, “with an ass like mine I couldn’t change position within the team sprint”. It basically implies the stronger woman has to go in “man one” position because I’m quite glute dominant, shall we say.’

My god. 1952 is calling. Shane Sutton is all class.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3554439/Jess-Varnish-makes-sensational-claims-against-British-cycling-chief-told-baby-bum-big.html

thehog said:
When Varnish questioned the decision not to renew her contract, she alleges Sutton told her that, at 25, she was ‘too old’ and she should ‘just move on and get on with having a baby’.

She also describes a very macho culture within British Cycling; an environment in which Varnish says she was once told her ‘***’ was too big. Varnish says she has been completely cut off from the British Cycling programme since being axed.

‘Don’t get me wrong, the boys don’t get it easy,’ she says, ‘but I can’t imagine him (Sutton) saying something to one of the men about their body shape or telling them to go off and have a baby. After 2012 I was told that, “with an *** like mine I couldn’t change position within the team sprint”. It basically implies the stronger woman has to go in “man one” position because I’m quite glute dominant, shall we say.’

My god. 1952 is calling. Shane Sutton is all class.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3554439/Jess-Varnish-makes-sensational-claims-against-British-cycling-chief-told-baby-bum-big.html

This is beautiful:
Shane v. "Simone de Beauvoir"
he never met such an able adversary on the track.

Even Aunty is on the case: http://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/36117976

The Carrot said:
wrinklyvet said:
The Carrot said:

Then it should not have been posted in the clinic, my friend.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Disappointed Sutton didn't go with something like this:

'Well, Jess's arse exceeds median track sprinter size by a statistically significant amount and further, the data indicates that 25 years old is a scientifically optimal time to have a baby. At British Cycling, everything is evidence based"

Would you prefer he said, "Look Jess, your butt does look big in Rapha but if you take this AICAR it will fit nice and snugly, and if you take this Pot Belge you'll sprint quicker too."?

Sutton has always been a bit of a gob sh!te.

TRENDING THREADS