• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Shaun Stephens to Sky

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-sky-appoints-shaun-stephens-as-performance-coach

Shaun is replacing Bobby Julich.

And the irony: August, 2012 Shaun being interviewed wrt Aussie coaches being poached by other countries. Pretty wishy washy interview though. :-/

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational...opping-the-coach-poach-shaun-stephens/4181710

Shaun was Australia's head triathlon coach.

Sky just need a running coach and they should be set.
I said, the only thing better than a swimming coach, was a triathlon coach.

Blackcat said it here first folks

sniper said:
you're smarter than that, GJB, I know you are.
i'm feeling good today, so I'll spell it out, just for you:
fact 1: PEDs are pervasive in prosport including triathlon
fact 2: coaches most of the time know what their athletes are on
fact 3: Stephens is a very successful triathlon coach

now, if you have evidence that Shaun has actively tried to keep his athletes from using PEDs, post it.
until then the most plausible inference from facts 1-3 is that Shaun endulges doping.
sniper, you are shifting the burden of proof to the negative. This is considered a logical fallacy in legal, scientific and philosophical reasoning.

You are making the claim with 99% certainty, that Shaun Stephens (whom I know personally btw) is a doper, therefore it is you who must prove your alleged "facts" stated above. Specifically, you must provide evidence of the following....

1. Doping is pervasive in triathlon
2. All coaches know whether or not their athletes are doping
3. Athletes that Shaun Stephens coached were dopers
4. Shaun Stephens knew they were doping and encouraged it or allowed it to continue

If you can't prove any of these then your claim is simply airy fairy fluff and would get beaten down hard in any court or tribunal that would bother to hear it. Yes I realize this is an internet forum and not a court of law, but so what, it doesn't make your reasoning and accusation any more valid.

edit: and btw..... "indulge" might be the word you are looking for ;)

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
the sceptic said:
Well now they got swimming and triathlon covered. They just need to find a marathon coach now, to find out how those Kenyans get those marginal gains.

South Africa training camps. Give the whole team a blood virus and then - BOOM - smash June - October.

Too obvious?

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Well now they got swimming and triathlon covered. They just need to find a marathon coach now, to find out how those Kenyans get those marginal gains.

Maybe they will hire an Irish Christian Brother next

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
:D

Could you elaborate?

sure, be glad to. Just after I finish my swimbike rum
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?p=934556&highlight=triathlon#post934556

blackcat said:
thehog said:
1. Innovations in training
2. Weight loss
3. Reconnaissance of the course
4. Training as a team
5. Altitude camps
6. Peaking all season
7. Using a swim coach
8. Other teams “not innovating”
9. Hard work, dedication
10. Other people have never worked towards something in their lives like we have.
measuring, weighing, wanting
wanting, weighing, measuring your food.

plus the dope, the cleanbuterol in the spanish boef

they still have improvement left in them. Was not Lance using a rowing coach for triathlon?

great lateral thinking. Lets add more coaches.

Mrs John Murphy said:
...Sniper's point is that unlike picking a coach from say Track and Field, you pick a sport which has less/no testing, then there are not going to be any scandals waiting to come out - as they have done with Yates, Julich, Barry, etc

It goes back to the Prentice Steffen email about perception equalling reality. If you pick a coach who is perceived to be clean because there are no scandals then it creates the 'reality' of a clean team.

The aim is not to avoid doping but to avoid scandals.

Simple. If they want a sport with no testing, coaches perceived as clean, they should pick a tennis coach ;)

Toni Nadal
Marián Vajda
Patrick Mouratouglou

are all excellent possibilities.

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
sniper said:
just saying there are no real dodgy data points to be found on Shaun.
There is no doubt in my mind that this guy endulges whatever program he's confronted with as soon as his job at Sky starts. However, at first sight, it doesn't seem as if this guy was brought on board to significantly improve said program. He's replacing Yates, not Leinders.

Shaun is NOT replacing Yates - He is replacing Bobby Julich as a performance coach. He is not a Director Sportif.

He will work alongside Tim Kerrison, Head of Performance.

Maybe not surprising as this thread is in the Clinic that everyone is focusing on doping. But I do wonder if his lack of experience in pro-bike racing will be a disadvantage? It helps if riders have confidence in their DS; they are not likely to win you races, but they can avoid losing one.

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
For Sky to hire him, he clearly has to be a doping coach.

For Sky to hire such an obvious doping coach is just further proof that Sky are doping.

Join the dots!

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Tim_sleepless said:

For Sky to hire such an obvious doping coach is just further proof that Sky are doping.

Join the dots!
Your not making sense. Two separate statments without proof of anything other than that Sky has hired a new coach. YOU'RE OBVIOUSLY BIASED!

Tim_sleepless said:

Join the dots!

Velo1ticker said:
Your not making sense. Two separate statments without proof of anything other than that Sky has hired a new coach. YOU'RE OBVIOUSLY BIASED!

I think you just might have missed the heavy sarcasm bomb, there.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Uncle Toni.

calling an APB 4 Uncle Toni from Team Sky.

Tony+Nadal+Rafael+Nadal+Open+23hGA2d9rfLl.jpg

Dear Wiggo said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-sky-appoints-shaun-stephens-as-performance-coach

Shaun is replacing Bobby Julich.

And the irony: August, 2012 Shaun being interviewed wrt Aussie coaches being poached by other countries. Pretty wishy washy interview though. :-/

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational...opping-the-coach-poach-shaun-stephens/4181710

Shaun was Australia's head triathlon coach.

Sky just need a running coach and they should be set.

On paper this looks like an improved situation. Every time the sport can get rid of a proven EPO and Blood doper its a step in the right direction.

TRENDING THREADS