• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question Should triathletes be allowed on bikes?

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
nothing like tri-geeks to lighten up my day.

shame i don't see many of those in portugal. . . . we have plenty of freds tho, last march on a BTT ride before the start the guy that was in front of me must have asked "how much does that weight?" about 20 times to different people and about different components. he also bragged about his new 50g lighter wheels which would make a tremendous difference in his performance

krebs303 said:
:) thumbs up GTF. That saddle will perfect for my SoftRide. Are those wingy things supposed to keep you from cracking your walnuts?

I should find the thread because the inventor added video. The reasoning is something like having those two prongs jamming into your crotch prevents you from sliding forward off the saddle, making maintaining an aero position easier.

BroDeal said:
I should find the thread because the inventor added video. The reasoning is something like having those two prongs jamming into your crotch prevents you from sliding forward off the saddle, making maintaining an aero position easier.

Wow! This thread is always good for a laugh. :D
That saddle is unreal...and I am female. Does not look comfy. :eek:

Well, if tri geeks are not good at cycling then how else can they keep from sliding off the bike. Hmm...with that in mind maybe one prong sticking straight up would suffice.....

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
BroDeal said:

Is sliding forward on the saddle really a serious problem...on second thought, these are triathletes, so it probably is a serious problem for them. :eek:

krebs303 said:
OK that's not real. Is it April fools? That is not possible to ride. it's pointed skyward. sick joke ha ha. it can't be, no sirree Bob. jokes on me. please don't let it be real.

The thread.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum....949;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

I'll start by saying I don't care what your opinion is on my modification, its quite likely the weirdest thing you've ever heard, I just want to know if its legal.

I would consider myself like TJ Tollakson, in that I'm constantly adjusting modifying and fabricating equipment to suit my desires. I like to ride steep, which necessitates I also ride on the front part of the saddle (an adamo in my case). Now, as many people would say, sitting steep and getting low in front, while putting out decent power gives you a strong sensation that you're going to fling yourself right over the aerobars, you use a lot of core and upper body muscle to counteract what is essentially an unbalanced position. To combat most of this, I have a fairly aggressive upward tilt to my saddle, which puts a lot more weight on the saddle and takes it off my arms, I imagine many people do this. Recently, I have felt that if I in fact had something to "post up" against, on the front of the saddle which prevented me from sliding off the front, I would be much more relaxed and comfortable.

To this end, I used a 1/4 inch steel bar which basically make a U shape and a right angle shape to allow it to attach to the front of the seat rails, and extend around to where it forms a couple "posts" (I padded them, about 1.5 inches tall) where the adamo seat ends in the front, its as if you had a longer adamo saddle and bent the ends up at a right angle (except a little wider). I rode on it and like how it works, it'll take more adjustments to get right though. Now, it definitely looks odd, and I can see a ref zeroing in on it before a race, so is this mod legal? I didn't see anything mentioned in the rules to this end, but they do make a statement saying weird things may or may not be legal. It confers no aerodynamic or power advantage. We have racks that attach from the seat rails back to hold bottles etc., so why not this?

I guess if cowboys ride a saddle with a saddle horn ...:rolleyes:

this just is too weird and I hope those prongs teach that I-dot a lesson.

...it's giving krebby nightmares :mad:

if that guy installed this on his stem then he could put his face in it when he TT 'd so he wouldn't slide forward

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
One prong saddle horn system for lady triathletes to stop them sliding backwards. Not sure thats such a good idea.

Maybe a clipless fastening device attached to the triathletes backside area to the saddle to stop them moving forward or backwards could work instead of prongs. :eek:

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
GPdesAmeriques said:
I though Gran Fondos were the new golf. How do you close multi-million dollar deals in an Ironman transition zone? :)

In American Gran Fondos are just renamed centuries. In Italy they are a science experiment.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Gold!

I have just read through the entire thread (and links) and now it's 5am BUT I swear I haven't laughed so much for a long time! Absolute gold! Thanks everyone!

Special shout out to the guys and gals on slowtwitch, but surely some of these posts there cannot be serious?!

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
42x16ss said:
I had a good laugh on the Sunday morning when I went up Mt Nebo to the north of Brisbane. About a third of the way up I passed a good size (20-25) group of triathletes, most with aerobars and deep dish wheels on. The clincher was 3-4 people up there on their TT bikes. One guy was on a Merida Warp with Dura Ace C50's, Aero helmet trying to climb an 8%+ section in the aerobars :confused:.

I was riding the Tourmalet (West side) last year and there was a guy riding a TT bike up it!

Another gem from Slowtwitch.

I have seen someone bring a bike into a store, to have the rental race wheels removed, and the training wheels 'installed'.

At a WTC half ironman event, I saw two completitors stop, and ask if we had a spare tire (this was a run handup station). One of the two did not even know how to remove his rear wheel.

I marvel at the courage it takes to train for, and attempt a half ironman while not knowing how to take a wheel off...lol

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Another gem from Slowtwitch.

and he didn't write it as "courage" with any irony? I'm glad guys that usually compare penile dimension alongside golf scores are more likely to gravitate to Tri-dickery than bike racing so I don't have to witness such measurements. They truly have a full sack o' courage!