• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sign here if you think Henao is a future star on the european scene.

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm not a translator but here it goes:
"Hit morally and physically. In big pain ‘cause I have fracture, but, thankful with life because it could have been worse when you risk that much. Anyway, we are here to fight again.
It hurts being unable to obtain this medal for the country, that yesterday it was evident it was possible. Anyway, when you risk that much (NdT: he says the same words again), you can lose it all. However, I have the peace of mind I gave my all and did everything within my possibilities to get a medal. Luck also plays a big part in cycling. Cycling is harsh that not only depends on the form but also on luck.
We were about to finish the descent, only missing the last two corners, that were very complicated, No road banking and we were going down very fast. Nibali was always ahead, descending really fast and trying to gap me. He was ahead and overshot the corner, he went out and I was very close to him, and I couldn’t stay upright either, so both fell on the same corner.
(answering to the last question seems more personal) .. my family, wife and son, I miss them so much, especially being alone. But I have overcome harder things and I’ll be back."

Gracias slosada!

Well it seems Nibali caused the crash then if Henao says he was always behind him and Nibali overshot the corner, but indeed it doesnt really matter it is part of racing unfortunately. Hope Henao can come back strong again and be there for Lombardia.

Re:

Ruudz0r said:
Sergio Henao said:
A little hurt physically and emotionally as well. I have a fracture. But well, I'm always grateful because it could've been worse, as always when you risk that much. We're here again to fight. What hurts is not being able to give my country that medal that we were starting to see might've been. But well, we saw that sometimes when you risk that much you can also lose things. But well, I'm at least at peace in that I gave everything, and did everything I could to get a medal. Luck sometimes has a big role to play, in cycling. Cycling is a tough sport in that in doesn't only depend on your phsyical condition do but also on luck. No, we were just, we were just about to finish the descent. We had two corners left, they were two very complicated corners; the camber, they really had no camber, those curves; very complicated. We were going at a lot of speed, Nibali was at front, he always goes down very fast, and was sort of trying to gap me, he was in front and the corner "took" him, he went out, and I was too [close] behind him and couldn't control it, and we both fell on the same curve. No I wan't [to thank? send regards to?] my wife, my family and my son. You don't know how much I miss you, and even more so right now. But god willing we haven't stopped and we've overcome more difficult things.
Boy, can Henao get a lot out in 1:41. I don't think it clears up too much about the crash though. I think Nibs lost control and they crashed, Henao doesn't seem to be blaming Nibali too much either. I'm sure if Nibali thought Henao was at fault we'd know about it by now.

P.S. SLosada beat me to it, but it's basically the same translation.

Re:

slosada said:
I'm not a translator but here it goes:
"Hit morally and physically. In big pain ‘cause I have fracture, but, thankful with life because it could have been worse when you risk that much. Anyway, we are here to fight again.
It hurts being unable to obtain this medal for the country, that yesterday it was evident it was possible. Anyway, when you risk that much (NdT: he says the same words again), you can lose it all. However, I have the peace of mind I gave my all and did everything within my possibilities to get a medal. Luck also plays a big part in cycling. Cycling is harsh that not only depends on the form but also on luck.
We were about to finish the descent, only missing the last two corners, that were very complicated, No road banking and we were going down very fast. Nibali was always ahead, descending really fast and trying to gap me. He was ahead and overshot the corner, he went out and I was very close to him, and I couldn’t stay upright either, so both fell on the same corner.
(answering to the last question seems more personal) .. my family, wife and son, I miss them so much, especially being alone. But I have overcome harder things and I’ll be back."

Tragic. Thanks for the translation!

Wish him well and he did win my heart during this race. Very strong.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Very sad tbh. His performance was bigger surprise to me than GVA. Henao rode absolutely great that day, epic ride on the last climb despite pulling the group a LOT before Italy attacked...
such a shame :(

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I hoped he would sign with Bahrain.. I fear Sky won't give him the opportunities he deserves. I hope to see him in the Giro in free role with his usual Pais Vasco peak. Also time to win F-W.

I don't agree that him joining Bahrain would have been a good idea.That team looks like Nibali&friends at the moment and Henao deserves more.Sky usually repays the riders which do well by giving them opportunities to ride for themselves.Waiting for him to be even better than this year and hopefully add some big wins to his results.

Re: Re:

DBotero said:
Escarabajo said:
He'll have his chances in Italy and some other races. he knows he has no chance in the Tour so he is happy at Sky helping Froome.

That's way he's staying.He seems happy at Sky even that sometimes he didn't get the chances he deserved.

I don't want to see him at the Giro. Froome needs and deserves to have the A team (Thomas, Henao, Nieve and Poels) fresh for the Tour.

JRanton said:
DBotero said:
Escarabajo said:
He'll have his chances in Italy and some other races. he knows he has no chance in the Tour so he is happy at Sky helping Froome.

That's way he's staying.He seems happy at Sky even that sometimes he didn't get the chances he deserved.

I don't want to see him at the Giro. Froome needs and deserves to have the A team (Thomas, Henao, Nieve and Poels) fresh for the Tour.

Yep. And he won't get a chance in the Vuelta either unless Froome decides to skip it, which he certainly won't if he loses again this year.

I understand Henao's decision though. Sky is probably the team that can pay him the most and Colombian riders really need to make the most of their economic opportunities while they're still active in the sport.

Henao would get a good salary at Chinese Lampre ..If they are prepared to pay Ben Swift 500K then Heano would probably get a million

If he is happy at SKY then fine but I feel fro him as he will have very few opportunites if SKY have a dedicated team for Chris Froome for all his stage races as is been dicussed after stage 15 of the Vuelta

Good move to stay at Sky I reckon. Doubt he could win the Tour on another team but why not have crack at the Giro as co-leader with Landa? Then one or both work for Froome in the Tour. Also, should get opportunities as a protected rider in Flèche and Liege, alongside Poels and Kwiato. Maybe Amstel too. Also, some of the early season week long stage races - Tirreno, Paris-Nice, Catalonia, Pays Basque, Trentino. If not the Giro, maybe leadership in the Tour of California? Finally, maybe protected role in Vuelta and Lombardia. Not bad possibilities whilst riding for probably the best and highest paying team...

Re:

dastott said:
Good move to stay at Sky I reckon. Doubt he could win the Tour on another team but why not have crack at the Giro as co-leader with Landa? Then one or both work for Froome in the Tour. Also, should get opportunities as a protected rider in Flèche and Liege, alongside Poels and Kwiato. Maybe Amstel too. Also, some of the early season week long stage races - Tirreno, Paris-Nice, Catalonia, Pays Basque, Trentino. If not the Giro, maybe leadership in the Tour of California? Finally, maybe protected role in Vuelta and Lombardia. Not bad possibilities whilst riding for probably the best and highest paying team...

Froome leads Vuelta & Tour
Landa the Giro (but Poels wants this leadership also)
Poles and Kwait lead n Ardennes
Froome, Thomas & Landa will lead early stage races ...with a plethora of riders waiting in the wings including Kwait

Henao willfind it hard to get leadeship.... SKY don't do joint leadership
As I said a pity he didn't go elsewhere

HelloDolly said:
dastott said:

Froome leads Vuelta & Tour
Landa the Giro (but Poels wants this leadership also)
Poles and Kwait lead n Ardennes
Froome, Thomas & Landa will lead early stage races ...with a plethora of riders waiting in the wings including Kwait

Henao willfind it hard to get leadeship.... SKY don't do joint leadership
As I said a pity he didn't go elsewhere

Fleche is Henao race. And you can back 2 riders in a race like Fleche. Actually, you can back 2 riders in all Classics races and that's why Sky does for years. In stage races they only protect one riders, but in classics they always had 2 leaders.

I think he will be protected in Pais Vasco, Fleche and post Tour races like San Sebastian, Lombardia if he still has the form.