• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sign here if you think Henao is a future star on the european scene.

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
DNP-Old said:
Oh, I thought the ones you linked to showed bad performances. If not, then why do you bring up the Pais Vasco '13 and '15 ITT's? He lost the race because of these. To Rodriguez and Quintana.
So because he lost the GC, it suddenly is a bad TT? Of course not. He lost Itzulia in the TT this year and it was still a heck of a performance.[/quote]
When you lose the GC to Rodriguez and Quintana in an ITT, I'd say it's a bad performance, yes.[/quote]
rodriguez ok, but quintana is a good timetrialist and he lost it in a hilly itt, so it's a bad example in general. that's why I didn't put that result here

Ryo Hazuki said:
Hugo Koblet said:
DNP-Old said:
Oh, I thought the ones you linked to showed bad performances. If not, then why do you bring up the Pais Vasco '13 and '15 ITT's? He lost the race because of these. To Rodriguez and Quintana.
So because he lost the GC, it suddenly is a bad TT? Of course not. He lost Itzulia in the TT this year and it was still a heck of a performance.
When you lose the GC to Rodriguez and Quintana in an ITT, I'd say it's a bad performance, yes.[/quote]
rodriguez ok, but quintana is a good timetrialist and he lost it in a hilly itt, so it's a bad example in general. that's why I didn't put that result here[/quote]
Yes, but look where this whole discussion started: It was with AlexNYC who said "Also, there really is no excuse for him sucking so badly in TTs. If Quintana can get better, he can too". Quintana has improved a lot, and so should Henao be able to do.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
quintana has always been a natural timetrialist from young age. not henao. quintana also has a perfect position on the bike, henao not bad but not as perfect as quintana.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Vasilis said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=23955
The result itself may not look so bad, but he did fall from 1st to 12th on GC, so it's still clearly a weakness. Although I'm not sure if you already agree with me :p
it's a weakness but he's definitely not very bad at it according to alexnyc. the giro 2013 where after wiggins dropped out and before he got sick he was absolute a beast trying for gc. he rode a very strong long itt

Ryo Hazuki said:
Vasilis said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
The result itself may not look so bad, but he did fall from 1st to 12th on GC, so it's still clearly a weakness. Although I'm not sure if you already agree with me :p
it's a weakness but he's definitely not very bad at it according to alexnyc. the giro 2013 where after wiggins dropped out and before he got sick he was absolute a beast trying for gc. he rode a very strong long itt
If the TT is undulating, it really seems to help him. The only flat TT that comes to mind as a good performance is in California.

Ryo Hazuki said:
Vasilis said:
Ryo Hazuki said:

The problem with blindly looking at race statistics is that you miss all the context of what actually happened during the race. Looking at those placings, it definitely looks like my assesment of his TT skills, which was based purely on memory, was too harsh; he has indeed had some OK TT results scattered throughout the years. My original point though was that he has consistently lost races due to poor time-trialing, which is extremely frustrating for such a talented rider. I expected him to get a lot better at TTing, which hasn't happened judging by his performance at the Tour of Pologne last year.

Also, saying that Quintana has always been good is a red-herring. Yes, he was good in hilly TTs, but not so when actually required to use a TT bike. He has gotten a lot better on TT bikes. If you look at his form at Romandie's ITT earlier this year compared to the past, you'll immediately be struck by how stable he now looks on the bike. In any case, there are much better and recent examples than Quintana; e.g., Landa and Chaves.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

roundabout said:
http://netstorage.lequipe.fr/ASO/cyclisme/le-tour/2016/reglement/TDF16_Reglement_BD.pdf

article 20
Thank you. I won't read it but I suppose there is a rule. In this case pretty stupid rule.

Kokoso said:
roundabout said:
http://netstorage.lequipe.fr/ASO/cyclisme/le-tour/2016/reglement/TDF16_Reglement_BD.pdf

article 20
Thank you. I won't read it but I suppose there is a rule. In this case pretty stupid rule.
The rule is the 3km rule. If anything happens in the last 3km of the race, you are awarded the time from the group you are in. Crashes, mechanicals, etc. Judging by the number of posts you have, I assume that you are being sarcastic and/or just baiting. Hard to believe you have been active for 6 years and don't know about such a fundamental rule and the reasons behind it. Even harder to believe you think it's a "stupid rule". Now, if this is your take in the proposed rule that on flat stages they take GC time at the 3km point, maybe I can see that.

One most mountain top finishes, the 3km rule is waived. This was not a mountain top finish.

The only time this rule becomes "stupid" is in the following scenario: There is a split in the peloton on a flat stage. Chase group is on pace to catch the peloton. Peloton crashes just inside 3km. The riders that crash get back up and soft pedal knowing that they will finish at the same time as peloton. Chase group catches the group that crashed but can't get around them due to size of group and cannot keep same pace going due to soft pedaling. Chase group can't catch peloton and complain that this was due to soft pedalers. So far, complains haven't won them time.

Regarding Sergio Henao (bringing it back to the topic). He has been phenomenal and has been the only sky rider to really protect & help Froomey in the mountain tops. His attacks have been perfect and twice so far he has paced Froome back when he has fallen behind. This is Sergio's first Tour de France, something that in any other team would have been unthinkable. Hard to believe that he hasn't been picked as a lieutenant for Froome before, regardless of the riders that have had that role before.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

gospina said:
The rule is the 3km rule. If anything happens in the last 3km of the race, you are awarded the time from the group you are in. Crashes, mechanicals, etc. Judging by the number of posts you have, I assume that you are being sarcastic and/or just baiting. Hard to believe you have been active for 6 years and don't know about such a fundamental rule and the reasons behind it. Even harder to believe you think it's a "stupid rule". Now, if this is your take in the proposed rule that on flat stages they take GC time at the 3km point, maybe I can see that.

One most mountain top finishes, the 3km rule is waived. This was not a mountain top finish.

The only time this rule becomes "stupid" is in the following scenario: There is a split in the peloton on a flat stage. Chase group is on pace to catch the peloton. Peloton crashes just inside 3km. The riders that crash get back up and soft pedal knowing that they will finish at the same time as peloton. Chase group catches the group that crashed but can't get around them due to size of group and cannot keep same pace going due to soft pedaling. Chase group can't catch peloton and complain that this was due to soft pedalers. So far, complains haven't won them time.
Sincerely I wasn't baiting (I never do that), nor sarcastic (that I do sometimes). I thought this rule only applies in sprinter stages where there is clear sense of this rule.
The rule is stupid in case you're describing, agreed. And it's stupid in case of Henao, too. Puncture asi bad luck and I feel sorry fow whoever it affects, but it's part of racing. Porte had puncture outside 3 km and lost time, Henao inside three km and did not. That doesn't make sense. Nobody pushed them down, it wasn't part of the crash etc.

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site

gospina said:
Kokoso said:
roundabout said:

article 20

Remember this happened in 2011 Tour to Alberto who was slowed down by a group including wiggins, they got winners time alberto lost over a minute. To make it worst it wasn't even a flat finish.
About Henao I don't think he'll be as good in third week, with Nieve tired and Thomas below par Froome could find himself isolated unless Landa hits form.

After Geraint Thomas' dreadful performance and Suisse and mediocre performance so far here, Henao has been given leeway to ride his own GC. Slightly disappointed he hasn't gone better lately, but then again, he really isn't a GC contender, at least not in the Tour. Could very well see him win a Vuelta like this year tho, would be absolutely perfect for him, but not after a Tour de France.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
After Geraint Thomas' dreadful performance and Suisse and mediocre performance so far here, Henao has been given leeway to ride his own GC. Slightly disappointed he hasn't gone better lately, but then again, he really isn't a GC contender, at least not in the Tour. Could very well see him win a Vuelta like this year tho, would be absolutely perfect for him, but not after a Tour de France.
Where did you read that?

Besides most of the damage was done on the TT where he has the similar problems as Quintana. He has done good so far IMHO.

TRENDING THREADS