• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sky next year

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Froome

Porte (post Giro so 2nd to last guy in the mountains)
Kennaugh (last guy in mountains)

Sivstov (general motors)
Kiri
Stannard

Thomas (Cobbles and Mountains)
Eisel (Road Captain and cobbles)

EBH (stage hunter)

4 British licensed riders.
Maybe due to the start location they work a 5th one in.

May 26, 2011
Visit site
If Dave has any sense he will make Bernie the road captain for the tdf - he's the man for sheltering Froomedawg over the cobbles.

Nieve and Porte will provide the high mountain duties.

Sorry - but can't see Wiggins at the 3 GTs.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
MatParker117 said:
He was in the sprint with Hushovd and Canc in 2010 so yes along with Eisel.

Would love to see Bernie at the tour but my prediction is that he is competing against Stannard/Kiri for a spot. Can't see Brailsford dropping either, as although things went tits up for Kiri this year, I think his ability on intermediate stages would give him the edge over Bernie. The only other option would be to take less climbing doms but after Froome's isolation this year I can't see it happening.

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/news/51889/Porte-confident-of-finding-Giro-Tour-balance

"Obviously the big goal for me next year is the Giro. I haven't really sat down and talked to the team about it but I think it's the next step for me," he said during a publicity event in Saitama near Tokyo on Friday.

"They want to develop me into a Grand Tour racer and that's hopefully going to be my first big opportunity to lead a team.

"I'd like to start the Tour Down Under, then Paris-Nice, I'd like to go back and defend that too.

"But come July I want to be there in England for the start (of the Tour de France). I do think I can do a good Giro and come out and be good in the mountains and help Chris (Froome) there."

Alex76 said:
Thomas.... Has he actually done anything that warrants all this GT love?

I'm doing a vague recollection of Phil Ligget "After his impressive climb on Corkscrew Hill- I expect him to be on the podium at this year's TDF":p:eek::confused::D

Even as an Aussie i acknowledge that a good ride on Corkscrew does not mean someone will top 3 at the TDF

Catwhoorg said:
Finishing this years TdF having broken his Pelvis earns him an early team nomination next year. He did contribute as well despite that injury.

Held white jersey in 2010 and 2011. Losing it 2011 waiting to see if Wiggo was getting up. 2011 he had a real good go on Stage 12 being overhauled only on the final climb.

Someone who is a real team player, and can be stage hunter if need be. Just what the team needs.
He's a good rider, but a stage hunter? Geraint Thomas has only ever won 1 road race in his career...which was a stage in TDU this year.

greenedge said:
The sprint stage that EBH won in 11- Thomas if he was not doing a leadout i think could have won (Gerrans vs Sagan style)- that was a massive gap he got/ a hard sprint.
Your memory must fail you, he didn't have a gap at all and he was only in the wind for 1-2 seconds before EBH flew past him. Actually Mollema did most of the leadout for EBH that day (unintentionally, of course).

May 31, 2013
Visit site
CycloAndy said:
Would love to see Bernie at the tour but my prediction is that he is competing against Stannard/Kiri for a spot. Can't see Brailsford dropping either, as although things went tits up for Kiri this year, I think his ability on intermediate stages would give him the edge over Bernie. The only other option would be to take less climbing doms but after Froome's isolation this year I can't see it happening.

Shouldn't discount Knees either, as he is a better climber than stannard and eisel

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Stannard - British. Amazing flat rider. Can also climb a bit actually.

Eisel - Well same as Stannard bar the climbing, but better on cobbles and general leading the team if necessary.

I think Knees will be doing Giro again.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Think Knees must be one of th most underrated helpers here on CN. Can't see why Sky won't use him in next years tour now that Wiggo is not insisting on having him as a helper.

Knees is a great dom and he will be competing for a spot with Stannard but I think Stannard's nationality and relative youth will get him the spot. I think they'll use Knees for the giro (as Eisel and Stannard will be recovering from the classics) and vuelta.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
I think they will dump Thomas, if Sir Wiggo gets serious again.

He wont, and they won't.

Wiggs is done, I think as far as GT's are concerned. I think his cr^p performance in the world's sealed it - he can't be trusted to do the work for froome. Might actually be a decent replacement for s/o in the 'classics squad', who will still do nothing.

Thomas, Stannard, and Kennaugh in the mountains are your brits, me thinks. Have a hunch, Neive will take over from Porte as no 1 dom to allow porte to do the giro, if the rumours about Neive are true.

Deignan might be useful in the tour, but I expect to see him at the Giro, with a couple of Brits (Edmondson?). (the race may be in Ireland, but if it's going past Ballymena there wil be plenty of British support on stages 1 and 2!)

Tour squad will be onedimensional. EBH will be lucky to get in, never mind Eisel. No Team TT. one TT. Mountain after mountain.

Giro :
Porte, Henao 1, Henao 2, Knees, Sitsiou, Pate, Edmondson, Swift, Puccio

Tour
Froome, Neive, Kennaugh, Porte, Stannard, Thomas, Kiriyenka, Cataldo, EBH

Vuelta
Neive, Hanao 1, Dombowski, Lopez, whoever else has legs

martinvickers said:
Deignan might be useful in the tour, but I expect to see him at the Giro, with a couple of Brits (Edmondson?). (the race may be in Ireland, but if it's going past Ballymena there wil be plenty of British support on stages 1 and 2!)

Yeah, I'd go so far as too say it's a dead cert that Deignan will be at the Giro. In fact if I was being super cynical I'd say he purely was brought in to cash in on the enormous new found interest in cycling in Ireland and the Giro is the perfect shop window for him. There's always been a level of Irish people not liking British sporting teams and Deignan would certainly go some way to offsetting this. Expect to see lots more sky jersey's on Irish roads after next may.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
happytramp said:
Yeah, I'd go so far as too say it's a dead cert that Deignan will be at the Giro. In fact if I was being super cynical I'd say he purely was brought in to cash in on the enormous new found interest in cycling in Ireland and the Giro is the perfect shop window for him. There's always been a level of Irish people not liking British sporting teams and Deignan would certainly go some way to offsetting this. Expect to see lots more sky jersey's on Irish roads after next may.

Sky have a lot of customers in Ireland so makes sense. I still think he is a fairly decent signing from a non-commercial standpoint but I imagine they would have signed a slightly better rider instead if he wasn't Irish.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
CycloAndy said:
Sky have a lot of customers in Ireland so makes sense. I still think he is a fairly decent signing from a non-commercial standpoint but I imagine they would have signed a slightly better rider instead if he wasn't Irish.

a company like sky really isn't gonna care for a nation of 6 million people

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
a company like sky really isn't gonna care for a nation of 6 million people

One rider out of 25-30 probably reflects the share Irish customers account for Skys revenue reasonably well. At least better than no riders.

TRENDING THREADS