• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Soudal - Quick Step Thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: The Quickstep Thread

Quickstep has got the be the best WT team at identifying and securing talent, at all levels. They manage to bring in promising young riders and useful veterans. Although I suppose it helps that they have very minor Grant Tour GC ambitions, so they can keep Jakobsen and Hodeg and Viviani and Gaviria (to use sprinting talent as an example). And of course it probably is not a hard sell to attract riders, who wouldn't want to join a team like this? They seem to cultivate an atmosphere that supports team success more than others. For example it has been such a joy to watch how Gilbert rides with them over the past year.

Morkov has been fantastic so far. Along with Richeze, also very impressive especially at the 2017 Giro, QS might have two of the most effectve leadout riders in the peloton. Since signing Cav and Renshaw, QS has cultivated maybe the best continuous sprint train. Note that many former QS train members have ended up at DD and elsewhere, with less success. As a classics team they will always have great riders to fill in the train (Stybar, Martin, Keisse, Gilbert, Chava, etc) but surely this is in part due to a concerted effort.

And on top of everything else their kit is gorgeous. What's not to love about this team.

I must admit this team is the TOP. I do not know their budget but it looks that none of the guys is over 1,5 mil.
So in terms results/budget, this team is levels above the others. They do not buy the best ready stars as Sky to remain dominant. They hire promising riders and their stars are helping to get these riders to another level. it is difficult to hate them if you love cycling.

They are the proof that cycling is as much a team sport as an individual one.

The TV time for QS company is huge and I doubt any other company in any sport will get the better time /money ratio.

SKSemtex said:
I must admit this team is the TOP. I do not know their budget but it looks that none of the guys is over 1,5 mil.
So in terms results/budget, this team is levels above the others. They do not buy the best ready stars as Sky to remain dominant. They hire promising riders and their stars are helping to get these riders to another level. it is difficult to hate them if you love cycling.

They are the proof that cycling is as much a team sport as an individual one.

The TV time for QS company is huge and I doubt any other company in any sport will get the better ratio.

The last time I saw anything printed for budgets (maybe 2 years ago) their budget was right at the average for all WT teams. They just know what type of team they are and go after riders who fit that mold. If I remember correctly theirs was around 15 million, Movistar's was 17 million, while Katusha and Sky were over 30 million for budgets. Obviously they know how to spend money for the type of riders that can do well in the type of races that they target.

So, today was proof again that Paris-Roubaix is nearly impossible to control. I think they did well by going on the offensive like they've been doing all year, but didn't have the luck this time. Stybar's move for a example could have considerably changed the race if Degenkolb, Stijn VDB, EBH and Bak were just a little bit stronger and had managed to bridge. Though he should have sat up earlier once those guys gave up the chase, which I think he could see himself on these wide roads.

Right before the decisive Sagan move, Lampaert had a mechanical and just regained contact when everybody started attacking, so there was no way he was going to ride to the front again. Gilbert and Terpstra had just closed a few gaps, while Stybar obviously was recovering from a 15k solo. Considering this, you can hardly blame them for not having a rider in the top 10 for a few seconds for the first time in 200kms.

All credits go to Sagan for having the balls and awareness. It does help of course when you're the strongest.

Edit: although they were responsible for gifting Sagan too much of a bonus.

So Jungels put the icing on the cake yesterday.
It has arguably been one of the best spring seasons ever for Quick Step. They were without any doubt the dominant team this spring.

27 victories by 12 different riders and alot of youngsters and neopros picking up their first wins. Hodeg and Jakobsen are only 21years old. Gaviria and Mas are still only 23. Not to mention Gaviria, Devenyns, Vakoc and De Plus were mostly injured. They even won stages in Catalunya and Basque country. Alaphilippe did what Martin never could in FW. Jakobsen just continued Kittel's streak in Schoten. 25year olds Alaphilippe and Jungels sharing the Ardennes.
They have shown immense teamspirit and great tactical nous which is very strange for them.

There were ofcourse some downsides aswell. Alaphilippe has confirmed that he won't win stage races with high MTF's. Gaviria has problem staying upright. The lack of GC results eventhough Mas did great in PV and Jungels' sickness. Questionable tactics in Paris Roubaix.

Onwards to the 2nd part of the season!

Re:

Jungle Cycle said:
are they going to Romandie with Gaviria AND Viviani??
btw why not a Romandie thread yet..
Yeah QS sending its 2 best sprinters to the same race, it's interesting to see how the 2 sprinters work together.

I think Viviani is racing here to get ready for the Gio while Gaviria is getting into shape after months off the bike.

This Maes deal is strange to me and leaves me with a few questions.

In general, how is non-alcoholic beer thought of in Belgium or Europe? In the US, it is not popular at all (I have never seen or known anyone to drink it) and is only spoken of as the subject of jokes. Personally I have no interest in it, though I don't drink soda, and I think of non-alcoholic beer as filling a similar role.

Is the regular (alcoholic) Maes, Maes-Pils, any good? Am I correct in assuming if they are sponsoring a cycling team that it is more of a mass-production beer?

I would also imagine that is against some rules for an actualy alcohol to sponsor a cycling team, so officially Maes 0.0% is the sponsor. Is this a roundabout way to promote Maes or an attempt to specifically promote Maes 0.0%?

LiquidCrystalDynamic said:

In general, how is non-alcoholic beer thought of in Belgium or Europe? In the US, it is not popular at all (I have never seen or known anyone to drink it) and is only spoken of as the subject of jokes. Personally I have no interest in it, though I don't drink soda, and I think of non-alcoholic beer as filling a similar role.

Is the regular (alcoholic) Maes, Maes-Pils, any good? Am I correct in assuming if they are sponsoring a cycling team that it is more of a mass-production beer?

I would also imagine that is against some rules for an actualy alcohol to sponsor a cycling team, so officially Maes 0.0% is the sponsor. Is this a roundabout way to promote Maes or an attempt to specifically promote Maes 0.0%?

Non alcoholic beer is already very big in parts of Europe, notably Spain and Germany. It is rapidly growing elsewhere and breweries are engaged in heavy marketing pushes.

No, the alcoholic version of Maes is not good. Belgium has the best brewing tradition in the world, but it has its bland mass market pilsners like everywhere else.

Yes, the brewery presumably hopes that advertising for Maes 0,0 will also provide bonus advertising for other Maes branded beer.

Zinoviev Letter said:
Non alcoholic beer is already very big in parts of Europe, notably Spain and Germany. It is rapidly growing elsewhere and breweries are engaged in heavy marketing pushes.

Even the quality has improved in the past years, due to better technology. It's not the same as alcoholic lager beer and not even close to the famous Belgian beer, but not too bad.

Zinoviev Letter said:

No, the alcoholic version of Maes is not good. Belgium has the best brewing tradition in the world, but it has its bland mass market pilsners like everywhere else.

Yes, the brewery presumably hopes that advertising for Maes 0,0 will also provide bonus advertising for other Maes branded beer.

It is also very popular also in former east block countries with 0.0% alcohol tolerance while driving. Your driving license can be taken by police just for one alcoholic beer or one glass of wine. With a huge fine. As the beer is considered here probably the best drink to quench the thirst, alcohol-free beers are becoming very popular. Especially now when the quality has improved a lot.

SKSemtex said:
Zinoviev Letter said:

It is also very popular also in former east block countries with 0.0% alcohol tolerance while driving. Your driving license can be taken by police just for one alcoholic beer or one glass of wine. With a huge fine. As the beer is considered here probably the best drink to quench the thirst, alcohol-free beers are becoming very popular. Especially now when the quality has improved a lot.

This makes sense. Basically non alcoholic beer no longer has the same strong burnt grain aftertaste that it used to have, so it can be more widely sold to people who like the taste of beer and find it relaxing or refreshing to have one but for whatever reason don’t want alcohol in their system. I’ve even seen it marketed as a kind of sports drink in Germany.

Nearly all non alcoholic beers are pilsners or similar in style (kolschs etc), both because that’s the most popular type of beer and because those beers are generally supposed to be cold, refreshing, crisp and not particularly complex in flavour. There are a few non alcoholic ales though and some wheat beers.

The big breweries are putting a very big push on to popularize it in places where it used to be very rare and even held in a certain amount of contempt. There are bigger profit margins (no booze taxes) and no advertising restrictions. Ireland and Britain used to be like the US in their attitudes to non alcoholic beer, but in the last couple of years a succession of big beer brands have launched their non alcoholic versions and started ad campaigns. I’d expect the same to happen in the US soon. Anheuser-Busch, one of the super giant brewing conglomerates claim that they expect non alcoholic beer to make up 20% of their total sales in six or seven years time.

Zinoviev Letter said:
SKSemtex said:
Zinoviev Letter said:

This makes sense. Basically non alcoholic beer no longer has the same strong burnt grain aftertaste that it used to have, so it can be more widely sold to people who like the taste of beer and find it relaxing or refreshing to have one but for whatever reason don’t want alcohol in their system. I’ve even seen it marketed as a kind of sports drink in Germany.

Nearly all non alcoholic beers are pilsners or similar in style (kolschs etc), both because that’s the most popular type of beer and because those beers are generally supposed to be cold, refreshing, crisp and not particularly complex in flavour. There are a few non alcoholic ales though and some wheat beers.

The big breweries are putting a very big push on to popularize it in places where it used to be very rare and even held in a certain amount of contempt. There are bigger profit margins (no booze taxes) and no advertising restrictions. Ireland and Britain used to be like the US in their attitudes to non alcoholic beer, but in the last couple of years a succession of big beer brands have launched their non alcoholic versions and started ad campaigns. I’d expect the same to happen in the US soon. Anheuser-Busch, one of the super giant brewing conglomerates claim that they expect non alcoholic beer to make up 20% of their total sales in six or seven years time.

Let's stop calling American beer the beer. I cannot even imagine how awful their nonalcoholic beer must be. :lol:
But you are right with proper marketing profit margin can be even higher (lesser competition, no additional tax)

Maes will be a cosponsor (indefinite duration), but they are still looking for a title sponsor.
The contract with Quick Step ends this year and they will no longer be the title sponsor, but remain as a cosponsor for the next 3 years.
Lidl has no intention on investing more than what they're doing now. They have a contract until end of 2019, with an option for 2020 and 2021.
Same deal with Specialized.

If they can't find a new title sponsor, they'll use "The Wolfpack" :cool:

Amazing how a team like Quick Step is struggling every year to find sponsors... Lefevere hopes Alaphilippe will open some doors in France.

Re:

Valanga said:
Maes will be a cosponsor (indefinite duration), but they are still looking for a title sponsor.
The contract with Quick Step ends this year and they will no longer be the title sponsor, but remain as a cosponsor for the next 3 years.
Lidl has no intention on investing more than what they're doing now. They have a contract until end of 2019, with an option for 2020 and 2021.

Amazing how a team like Quick Step is struggling every year to find sponsors... Lefevere hopes Alaphilippe will open some doors in France.

Maybe Evenepoel can open doors in Belgium. A new belgian gaint.

Re:

Valanga said:

You are right. It is very sad to know that one of the most successful teams in history with such an amazing amount of wins has a problem to find long term rich sponsor.

Something is really wrong with the present model.

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

King Boonen said:
Not all American beer is garbage, bog water... just most :)

perhaps depends how you define "most" - by number of breweries I would question it (even though I have only sampled around 100 products from smaller brands) - by market share (guess Anheuser-Bush, Miller & Coors will have more than 2/3) you're definitely right ...
but mass market beer (mostly lager) is crap in most countries anyway (Czech Republic perhaps being one of the few exceptions)

TRENDING THREADS