• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 16: Pinzolo – Aprica 177 kms:Where legends are made

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Stage 16: Pinzolo – Aprica 177 kms:Where legends are mad

Angliru said:
cineteq said:
We said it last year, Aru was and is NOT a GT contender, but everybody laughed.

How can he not be a grand tour contender after finishing on the podium of the Giro and 4th at the Vuelta in the same year at such a young age?

5th

Looks like people don't have any idea of reading cycling. Katusha put an infernal train descending Aprica, it was intentional to hurt, to split the peloton.
They did. Contador had a mechanical. End of history.

The stupid would have been to wait, following radio instructions, etc. The carnage was done!!!!! look at the peloton in the flat.
PERIOD

Re: Re:

bambino said:
bambino said:
Miburo said:
lejarreta said:
Miburo said:
Stop saying landa was the strongest in this giro. He lost more than 4 min in the ITT.

And he wheelsucked a contador who was 50 sec behind on mortirolo in this stage.

Up Montirolo Landa was pulling Aru and all the rest up front, and he could have done more but Aru was not at his finest. It was a cronoescalada Landa vs Contador. He did wheelsucking AFTER Aru let him go, cause Contador already left them behind.

It seems you have only watched the stage highlights.

Ok he was pulling aru but it's a fact contador had to ride mortirolo 50 sec behind them and closed the gap.

Fact that landa didn't do anything in the last 40 km.

I don't really get all the defense that is pulled in to make everyone aware that Bertie was the best at the end. I did watch the whole race from 10km before Mortirolo and what I see happened was:

- Bertie mechanical - Katusha and Astana attacked (not fair, but reality)
- Bertie was reported to be max 50 sec behind, the highest gap I saw in Eurosport was 48 sec
- After mere 500m on the climb, Landa was already pulling Kruijswijk and Aru, just 3 of them left, Landa doing all the work
- Bertie came back to Landa/Aru in a range of 6km climbed, so he did 6km ~50 sec quicker than Aru (which pace Landa was forced to ride)
- Landa and Bertie took on Kruijswijk in about 500m later and the trio was formed

Now - for the remaining 40km odd before the attack, Landa indeed wheelsucked. But to be completely fair, I saw Bertie doing the pull for maybe around 1km total during that 40km. Maybe all the Bertie fans here thinks that riding in 2nd place in 3 mans trio is not wheelsucking, but hey, be fair if you blame Landa for wheelsucking, Contador was not doing like a whole lot either. Kruijswijk did 95% of the work once the trio was formed.

I agree that Mortiloro pullback probably took lot of energy from Bertie, but reality is that he did 6km ~50 odd sec. faster than Landa and then did lose 38 sec. in last 4km. That is the fact for this stage. I know you will say that he didn't have to respond and he had what it would've took to respond and he was just controlling the race. It might well be true, but hey, I guess we will never know.

And yes - I think Alberto's come back was phenomenal - no doubt about it. But was it historical given the pace that Aru had today... not sure.

This is so wrong. Kruijswijk rode on the front for the most part on Mortirolo, but it doesn't really matter to be in first or second position when the incline is so steep.

On the descent and on Aprica Contador clearly did the most work. No to take anything away from Kruijswijk, but it's just plane wrong that he worked more than Contador in the group.

This is so wrong. Kruijswijk rode on the front for the most part on Mortirolo, but it doesn't really matter to be in first or second position when the incline is so steep.

On the descent and on Aprica Contador clearly did the most work. No to take anything away from Kruijswijk, but it's just plane wrong that he worked more than Contador in the group.[/quote]

I'm not sure we looked the same race or you must've had continuous camera for the leading trio. I'm still 100% confident that I didn't see Bertie passing Steven more than maybe 5 times after they formed the trio, each time not more than maybe 30 seconds.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Aguirre said:
Looks like people don't have any idea of reading cycling. Katusha put an infernal train descending Aprica, it was intentional to hurt, to split the peloton.
They did. Contador had a mechanical. End of history.

The stupid would have been to wait, following radio instructions, etc. The carnage was done!!!!! look at the peloton in the flat.
PERIOD

You are right. If the role is reversed, Landa was mechanical. He would probably done and dusted already. And AC will leave Aru in the dust in Mortirilo. At the end, Astana wins the battle, but Contador still wins the war. He is still the one who holds pink jersey with 4+ minutes cushion. end of story too. :D

Angliru said:
ggusta said:
JRanton said:
IamIronMan said:
LOL Landa looks like he just went out for an easy 1 hour spin.

He could have won the Giro today. So sad when the strongest man in a GT doesn't win the GC. :(

I sense sarcasm.

I sense extreme delusional stupidity.

ahhhh....but my own sarcasm went unsensed! :D I was trying to leave jranton an 'out' but they had apparently set the controls for the center of the sun!

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

ggusta said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
Angliru said:
For the umpteenth time, Schleck was on the attack, off the front when he threw his chain. When his rivals responded to his attack were they to suddenly slow their roll because Andy likely tried using his front derailleur on a mountain incline?
Some would argue, yes. That to many was the heart of the issue.

Beyond chaingate, what else would we remember Andy for? he's like Tonya Harding (sort of)

Galibier

Re:

Alcanelo said:
Anyone know where I can watch the whole stage again in English? They have it in French on YT but would love to hear the English version??

do you have directv? call up and get bein sports (ch620) it (and several other sports channels included) will add like $14/mo and then when it's over you can cancel it

Re: Stage 16: Pinzolo – Aprica 177 kms:Where legends are mad

I don't know if it was already mentioned but wtf ride of the day goes to Bole. He was 19th in a group with Uran and Nieve among others. He is climbing better than sprinting nowadays. Maybe he should move to Sky and become a GT contender in 2 years :p

Angliru said:
irondan said:
TommyGun said:
sunnyIce said:
ay ay ay ... cringe worthy.

“It was a really beautiful day for me, maybe even more than the last one,” Landa said. “We saw that Contador had a problem and Katusha rode the group full gas and we collaborated with them.

Jeez, this guy has no soul!
Respect for the leaders jersey is gone forever, never mind that Contador did the same thing to Schleck. This is now the status quo.

For the umpteenth time, Schleck was on the attack, off the front when he threw his chain. When his rivals responded to his attack were they to suddenly slow their roll because Andy likely tried using his front derailleur on a mountain incline? He attacked, they responded, he muffed his shift. He had to pay the cost for screwing up.
I said NEVER MIND that Contador did the same thing to Schleck because I didn't want to hear exactly what you just said. I watched the same race you did.

ggusta said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
Angliru said:
For the umpteenth time, Schleck was on the attack, off the front when he threw his chain. When his rivals responded to his attack were they to suddenly slow their roll because Andy likely tried using his front derailleur on a mountain incline?
Some would argue, yes. That to many was the heart of the issue.

Beyond chaingate, what else would we remember Andy for? he's like Tonya Harding (sort of)
Avoriaz? Liege? Galibier? There's also the small matter of Andy winning the 2010 Tour.

irondan said:
Angliru said:
irondan said:
TommyGun said:
sunnyIce said:
ay ay ay ... cringe worthy.

“It was a really beautiful day for me, maybe even more than the last one,” Landa said. “We saw that Contador had a problem and Katusha rode the group full gas and we collaborated with them.

Jeez, this guy has no soul!
Respect for the leaders jersey is gone forever, never mind that Contador did the same thing to Schleck. This is now the status quo.

For the umpteenth time, Schleck was on the attack, off the front when he threw his chain. When his rivals responded to his attack were they to suddenly slow their roll because Andy likely tried using his front derailleur on a mountain incline? He attacked, they responded, he muffed his shift. He had to pay the cost for screwing up.
I said NEVER MIND that Contador did the same thing to Schleck because I didn't want to hear exactly what you just said. I watched the same race you did.

Tell me more about this Schleck fellow and his chain.

8c0ee545.jpg

Well once again there is relevance in discussing chaingate and other times when people waited (or not) when having a discussion of whether someone should have waited or not attacked. Especially when one of the protagonists in chaingate is involved in the subsequent discussion.

Not sure why the moderator reaction to something fairly obvious. If it gets out of hand, just ask people to move on. No need to attempt to eliminate any discussion of a relevant incident.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Did anyone ask Contador whether climbing the Mortirolo on Basso's back wheel presented a problem with gearing? I know these guys are pretty specific and plan quite a lot of detail into their machines. Looked at some points today that AC couldn't get into the right zone climbing out of the saddle.

Re:

red_flanders said:
Well once again there is relevance in discussing chaingate and other times when people waited (or not) when having a discussion of whether someone should have waited or not attacked. Especially when one of the protagonists in chaingate is involved in the subsequent discussion.

Not sure why the moderator reaction to something fairly obvious. If it gets out of hand, just ask people to move on. No need to attempt to eliminate any discussion of a relevant incident.
It's already out of hand. We got pictures of Andy Schleck in here already and now there's people debating what he'll be remembered for.
There are other threads for this out there.

TRENDING THREADS