• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 19, Friday September 12 | Salvaterro do Miño - Cangas do Morrazo | 180.5km

Vuelta 2014, Stage 19, Salvaterro do Miño - Cangas do Morrazo | 180.5km

Still no thread, you lazy peeps?

Arnout said:
Stage 19, Friday September 12 | Salvaterro do Miño - Cangas do Morrazo | 180.5km Stage URL

19_perfil.png

I hadn't looked at this stage profile when I wrote about last stage, but this looks even more like a breakaway stage. I think Tiralongo will win here, but don't put money on it. Most teams will be resting to deliver a final effort the next day.

Don't think much will happen, maybe Froome wants to get some silly time bonuses?

3rd week of a grand tour; got to be a break for the win and a rest day for everyone else surely...

I think the first sprint is to far in for any GC guys to try and pick up a time bonus.

LuLu to try for a stage now he has the KOM in the bag? He was climbing well yesterday.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't think much will happen here. I was just reading the last 2km of the Faro have been cancelled.

I agree, Matthews should be OK for getting over this.

gooner said:
I don't think much will happen here. I was just reading the last 2km of the Faro have been cancelled.

no, that already is the new profile up there. Originally they were supposed to go to the top of the Alto do Morrazo (which is the Alto Monte Faro + ~2,3km at 9%), but that was cancelled weeks ago.

That Condé didn't have a look in the roadbook for weeks doesn't mean it was cancelled recently :p

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
If I can quote dr.juice from AC thread...:)
Dr. Juice said:
Today's stage could be more dangerous than saturday when Alberto will be the strongest.
If I was on the other side....I would plan to attack full gas on that 4.7 km climb at 8, xx %. It's harder than yesterday's climb.
Only Froome, Rodriguez, Valverde, Aru, Contador and maybe 1-2 others left at the top.
Then, they attack him at turns on the flat....he has to cover every single attack...no one works for him.
Now I hope nobody from Sky, Katusha or Movistar reads this. :D
Its not really likely but its doable imo.

ILovecycling said:
If I can quote dr.juice from AC thread...:)

Its not really likely but its doable imo.

An impossible plan. If we assume they would cooperate (for instance Froome and Valverde), that would mean that one of them is going to lose time to the other: Froome attacking --> AC responding --> Valverde attacking --> AC responding ...-->....-->.... --> Valverde attacking --> AC not responding -->
2 scenarios: 1. Froome doesn't respond (he loses time to Valverde, which is irrational) 2. he responds to Valverde (and drags AC with him so nobody gains any or loses any time)

And if it was team-based effort, like Moreno and JRod attacking at turns, Contador would probably only respond to JRod and not worry about Moreno. In other words the strategy wouldn't tire him (AC)

BotD: Wouter POELS (175), Laurent MANGEL (95) and Pim LIGTHART (148)

They have a couple of minutes

I was expecting a larger break tbh. Maybe some will bridge on the first climb.

Would be good to know who is on the front of the peloton.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Ballsy by Giant here.

A few will attack on the climb. I can't see GC guys doing stuff on the climb as they want to conserve energy for tomorrow and Sunday.