• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

State of the Peloton 2024

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Geraint Thomas underperformed in 2018 relative to 2022? He got more energetic and hungry a couple of years after winning the Tour?

Sounds as plausible as Chris Horner winning the 2013 Vuelta clean.
Ya, no that doesn't make sense. I don't know the numbers too well, I assumed the post 2020 numbers mentioned were all the new breed of younger riders compared to the Ineos crowd being before 2020.

Reactions: CJCycling
The funny thing is all the other endurance sports are leaning on cycling to explain away all their new records as well now (carbs, tech, professionalism…). And even funnier to use cycling as evidence of clean sport.
There have been many times the number of doping busts in Athletics (including some record holders and medalists) than in cycling since the break in testing during the pandemic. So it’s not just the spring-y shoes.

Reactions: noob
Close the Clinic! These faster speeds are all down to “recovery pajamas" and "smart mattresses" ...
https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/road-training/pro-cyclings-pursuit-of-perfect-sleep/

this all makes more sense to me than the nutrition stuff. im a terrible sleeper and the difference between a broken 6-7 hours and a full 8+ is massive. Lance always says he used to sleep 9 hours straight through the night every night during the Tour. if i could do that Ullrich might not be able to drop me either.

this all makes more sense to me than the nutrition stuff. im a terrible sleeper and the difference between a broken 6-7 hours and a full 8+ is massive. Lance always says he used to sleep 9 hours straight through the night every night during the Tour. if i could do that Ullrich might not be able to drop me either.
Or could do this

And surely that sleep was primary source of his success?

Reactions: AstralVelo
Makes me wonder what the heck they're giving him at UAE. I know it wasn't just missing out on the dip in the ice tub.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/th...shed-for-return-at-gp-quebec-and-gp-montreal/
... after the Tour when I switched off, my body went kind of into shutdown mode and I was feeling quite bad the first two weeks."

... and Lance's buddy George thinks it's all down to technology ...
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...-falling-into-a-dark-era-of-cycling-as-he-did
Watching the current peloton however, the now 51-year-old is quite hopeful that today's generation haven't fallen into the same pitfalls as he did back in the day. “I think the sport is in such a better place now. [Athletes] will never be confronted with those decisions that we were. They’re so focused on nutrition, technology, altitude training. In many ways, they’ve surpassed the benefits of doping by technology."

Close the Clinic! These faster speeds are all down to “recovery pajamas" and "smart mattresses" ...
https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/road-training/pro-cyclings-pursuit-of-perfect-sleep/
Like an add for the bed and pyjama companies :joycat:

I'm actually struck by this lately; the effect is two-fold by claiming it's the new materials, be it food, pyjama, drinks, beds, bikes etc etc it all also has the effect of ads for those companies!

The exact same way beauty influencers claim it's their new skin care when really they just had fillers and botox.

Last edited:
Reactions: E_F_
Makes me wonder what the heck they're giving him at UAE. I know it wasn't just missing out on the dip in the ice tub.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/th...shed-for-return-at-gp-quebec-and-gp-montreal/

... and Lance's buddy George thinks it's all down to technology ...
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...-falling-into-a-dark-era-of-cycling-as-he-did
I mean, just look at how all the other UAE guys who got the rocketfuel at the Tour faded at the Vuelta, that stuff probably takes a toll on your body. Also half of Bora getting sick and multiple riders dropping out the day after they and Roglic dropped the biggest watts bomb.

The softest pillow at night is a clear conscience.

I mean, just look at how all the other UAE guys who got the rocketfuel at the Tour faded at the Vuelta, that stuff probably takes a toll on your body. Also half of Bora getting sick and multiple riders dropping out the day after they and Roglic dropped the biggest watts bomb.
Even Pogi said that he was totally destroyed after the Tour and can't even drop three Lotto-Dstny guys on a climb 7 weeks later.

What are you guys even talking about, Pogačar looked the most convincing he ever has at this point in the season after having won the Giro-Tour double. Like what, if you race really hard for weeks on this drug, you will experience fatigue? That also happens if you aren‘t doping.
Pogi won that last TT at the Tour by over 1 minute (and still managed to wave to people on the way) and looked like it was a jaunt before stage 1. To read that he was knocked out for 2 weeks afterwards is surprising.

What are you guys even talking about, Pogačar looked the most convincing he ever has at this point in the season after having won the Giro-Tour double. Like what, if you race really hard for weeks on this drug, you will experience fatigue? That also happens if you aren‘t doping.

It can also happen if you aren't racing, but still take a lot of drugs.