• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Steven Kruijswijk

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

barmaher said:
What happened in stage 4? He lost around 8 minutes. If it hadn't happened he would be nailed on for a podium, with a chance of pink.

From what I know he was quite far back in the peloton when everything got blown apart. Basically positioning screwed him over.

That being said he did take some time back in breaks, some of which could have been lost time otherwise. So he wouldn't be a full 8 minutes closer, probably more like 3-5 minutes. That would put him in range for top 5 but a podium would still be dubious.

Either way he's been great the last week. If he can bring the same form, but be a bit more focused early on and go in as a leader he should make the Giro very interesting.

Nothing to do with focussing, he had simply nobody to position him better in those early stages.
Only one who could've done that were Keizer or Bennett. Bennett wasn't allowed to start and Keizer was in the break. The rest is too bad. He doesn't have a team like Astana or Tinkoff or Movistar.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Nothing to do with focussing, he had simply nobody to position him better in those early stages.
Only one who could've done that were Keizer or Bennett. Bennett wasn't allowed to start and Keizer was in the break. The rest is too bad. He doesn't have a team like Astana or Tinkoff or Movistar.
That was the stage that caught off guard a few riders that had no idea that Astana was going to push that hard. In a matter of seconds the peloton blew up completely. Since none of those guys were GC protected riders, they were bad positioned.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I was a little disappointed with Kruijswijk during the stage today, but if it's because he tried to match Contador and couldn't then there's no dishonor in that.

Hopefully tomorrow he'll be able gobble up some more points for the maglia azzurra.

After all, a pleasing day for him today. He stays in front of Intxausti, Landa didn't take the stage and Visconti ain't no factor tomorrow!

With Contador, Landa etc. all interested in a stage victory tomorrow there shouldn't be a large breakaway. Instead Contador, Landa, Hesjedal and Kruiswijk will probably all attack right from the bottom of the Finestre. Which should mean that there's a selected group on the gravel section which should contain Steven, but not Intxausti.

If he's as strong as on Tuesday he will win the Cima Coppin and take the blue jersey home.

Stage victory is between the others most likely, though!

40th over 8 minutes down after 4 stages, and now 7th in GC in the end. Even if he missed a stage win or a mountain jersey. Kruijswijk has definately rediscovered his 2011 legs. Good on him. Good news for Lotto as well, seems a more reliable option than Gesink at the moment ,with Gesink not giving much signs of his 2009/2010 legs ever returning

I remember telling a conti rider last year that Poorseyedi dropped a world class climber hard in his Langkawi win, he said 'Chaves?', I said no, a better one, and he had no idea who, from then on I knew some non-WT riders had less 'knowledge' than us viewers.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
He wants to ride the Tour as well. So I wonder how they will do that.

You would think with his recuperation it isn't a problem

Maybe he will go for the KOM jersey in the Tour to make up missing the one at the Giro? He could certainly ride with the best of them on some of the early mountaintop finishes to get points that way.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
pablohidalgo7 said:
Great giro for him, better legs than in 2011. He has been in top 5 in all the important stages.
Anybody knows if he is going to race in Suisse or in Dauphine?

I believe Kelderman and probably Gesink will do the Dauphine. LottoJumbo could field a pretty useful team for the Tour with Gesink, Ten Dam, Kelderman, Kruiswijk and Vanmarcke. They might even have a serious chance if they decide to go for the polka-dot. On the other hand, having seen countless highly thought of Rabo teams head to the Tour with great expectations, only to be disappointed time after time, I'll believe in a Dutch success after one happens. I also live in hope that Keldermerckx will finally pull it all together and do his early nickname justice.

Amsterhammer said:
pablohidalgo7 said:
Great giro for him, better legs than in 2011. He has been in top 5 in all the important stages.
Anybody knows if he is going to race in Suisse or in Dauphine?

I believe Kelderman and probably Gesink will do the Dauphine. LottoJumbo could field a pretty useful team for the Tour with Gesink, Ten Dam, Kelderman, Kruiswijk and Vanmarcke. They might even have a serious chance if they decide to go for the polka-dot. On the other hand, having seen countless highly thought of Rabo teams head to the Tour with great expectations, only to be disappointed time after time, I'll believe in a Dutch success after one happens. I also live in hope that Keldermerckx will finally pull it all together and do his early nickname justice.

Yeah kelderman will be strong in le tour, I believe he can figth for top 5.
According to PCS wilco will race the dauphine and Gesink the tour of Suisse.

TRENDING THREADS