• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Steven Kruijswijk

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Going to top 10 the Giro in excellent company.

There's now a genuine debate to be had as to where he and Gessink rank against each other - Krujswijk has ridden competatively against guys Gessink doesn't beat either - Scarponi, Nibali, Menchov, Rodriguez and Kreuziger all in the same ball park, on a very tough route.
Gesink easily beat Kreuziger and Rodriguez in last years TDF GC. He would have finished this giro as 2nd if he was there.

There is no comparison between him and Kruijswijk. As much as I like Kruijswijk.

Moondance said:
True. If the l'Aquila stage doesn't transpire the way it did, Mollema may have ridden a Top-10 too.

But I'm talking about how he did it. Mollema never finished a MTF with the best men that Giro. He kept the losses minimized, but whenever Basso, or Evans, or Scarponi, got going that Giro, TGBM went backwards.

Kruijsie has shown himself fully capable of at least holding his own to the likes of Neebs, Scaponi & Menchov when it comes to climbing. That's much more impressive than anything Mollema showed last year.

Absolutely, there's no doubt that Kruijswijk is already ahead of Mollema.
But he's still far from Gesink. I'm suprised how some people here are really underrating Gesink by a lot. Or how they seem to have forgotten that Gesink beat guys like Rodriguez and Kreuziger by minutes in last TDF, while Steven is still behind them

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
True. If the l'Aquila stage doesn't transpire the way it did, Mollema may have ridden a Top-10 too.

But I'm talking about how he did it. Mollema never finished a MTF with the best men that Giro. He kept the losses minimized, but whenever Basso, or Evans, or Scarponi, got going that Giro, TGBM went backwards.
Kruijsie has shown himself fully capable of at least holding his own to the likes of Neebs, Scaponi & Menchov when it comes to climbing. That's much more impressive than anything Mollema showed last year.

Blasphemy!!!!:eek:

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Going to top 10 the Giro in excellent company.

There's now a genuine debate to be had as to where he and Gessink rank against each other - Krujswijk has ridden competatively against guys Gessink doesn't beat either - Scarponi, Nibali, Menchov, Rodriguez and Kreuziger all in the same ball park, on a very tough route.

Not being a fanboy, but I'd say Gesink stands an excellent chance against all of them with the exception of Nibbles. (menchov is hit and miss, he has a much larger chance of actually winning a GT, but also can fail rather unspectacular)

-Scarponi: Typical Italy only rider.
-Nibbles: Won a GT, it just seems time till he wil win the Giro.
-Menchov, wins GT's but he is getting old.. and Gesink beating him in the next GT's doesn't seem farfetched.
Rodriguez: Ended behind Gesink last TdF.
Kreuziger: Admittedly I fail to see him reign GT's. So far less impressive in GT's than Gesink.

I really think you are selling Gesink short if you don't call him the prime candidate for the podium spot behind Contador and Schleckette.

Franklin said:
Not being a fanboy, but I'd say Gesink stands an excellent chance against all of them with the exception of Nibbles. (menchov is hit and miss, he has a much larger chance of actually winning a GT, but also can fail rather unspectacular)

-Menchov, wins GT's but he is getting old.. and Gesink beating him in the next GT's doesn't seem farfetched.
Kreuziger: Admittedly I fail to see him reign GT's. So far less impressive in GT's than Gesink.

I really think you are selling Gesink short if you don't call him the prime candidate for the podium spot behind Contador and Schleckette.

As already stated, I didn't start this post to particularly discuss Gesink, or to rate him against each of those guys in a detailed manner, but I really wouldn't say there is yet hard evidence that Gesink would beat most/all of those guys on a regular basis. I was just using them as a benchmark as they are all in the large group of guys who occasionally beat each other - it would not be an enormous shock if they all raced against Gesink, and he beat some, but not others.

I expect Gesink to kick on, but until he actually does in verifyable results, he's still in the very large group behind the top 2 at the moment (and to be honest I feel uncomfortable ranking him on parity with Basso, Menchov & Nibbles until he actually wins a GT.)

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Gesink beat Nibali at almost every race they rode head-to-head . Especially in general classifications and mountain stages.

don't see why he would be lesser just because Nibali chose the Giro/Vuelta route now and Gesink the Tour

And Menchov?

My point is that these guys are all much of a muchness. Gesink is not obviously much better than any of these guys. I didn't realise that was so controvertial for the dutch.

Franklin said:

No way he can get on a podium in the Tour.

Schleck
Samu
JVDB
(Contador)

So maybe 4th place is possible.

DenisMenchov said:
No way he can get on a podium in the Tour.

Schleck
Samu
JVDB
(Contador)

So maybe 4th place is possible.
If neither of them suffer falls or injuries this Tour, or get sick or something, I will bet good money that Gesink finishes above VdB2.

And to say that there is 'no way' Gesink can beat VdB2 this year is utter nonsense. At any rate Gesink has finished above VdB2 in every race they've ridden against each other this year.

Moondance said:
If neither of them suffer falls or injuries this Tour, or get sick or something, I will bet good money that Gesink finishes above VdB2.

And to say that there is 'no way' Gesink can beat VdB2 this year is utter nonsense. At any rate Gesink has finished above VdB2 in every race they've ridden against each other this year.

That is because VDBs main goal is the Tour, while Gesink performs better in other races, but is no where near Jurgen come July.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
DenisMenchov said:
That is because VDBs main goal is the Tour, while Gesink performs better in other races, but is no where near Jurgen come July.

and you base this on......
lol, JVDB has nothing on Gesink, one race in his career he performed better.
It was Gesink's first tour last year, he came 6th. One place behind JVDB and he had to ride for Menchov (and probably peaked too early... suisse).

JVDB first ride he came 15th (and don't tell me he was helping cuddles, cause he did anything but, whereas gesink actually towed mr. menchov).

so yeah, we shall see if JVDB will be miles ahead of gesink :rolleyes:

---

anyway enough of gesink, hopefully Kruijswijk can keep his top 10 today, I think he will.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
and you base this on......
lol, JVDB has nothing on Gesink, one race in his career he performed better.
It was Gesink's first tour last year, he came 6th. One place behind JVDB and he had to ride for Menchov (and probably peaked too early... suisse).

JVDB first ride he came 15th (and don't tell me he was helping cuddles, cause he did anything but, whereas gesink actually towed mr. menchov).

so yeah, we shall see if JVDB will be miles ahead of gesink :rolleyes:

---

anyway enough of gesink, hopefully Kruijswijk can keep his top 10 today, I think he will.

Well your opion that a yo-yo Gesnik s way of climbing is better than the smooth one of JVDBs, and that his great bikehandling skills alongside super time trialing will place him higher than JVDB is just because you are Dutch.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
DenisMenchov said:
Well your opion that a yo-yo Gesnik s way of climbing is better than the smooth one of JVDBs, and that his great bikehandling skills alongside super time trialing will place him higher than JVDB is just because you are Dutch.

no go re-read my posts please.
I don't think JVDB will beat samu, cuddles, basso either. You failed to argue the points I made, and merely made a personal jab. well done sir :rolleyes:

You are using nice words to hype up JVDB, but have yet to provide any reason for the no-chance-gesink-beats-JVDB claim.

----

excellent by Kruijswijk, 9th place, could have been even better !

TRENDING THREADS