• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Summer Games Paris 2024

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I was looking a little more closely at the road race circuit on the streets of Paris.
Almost every tourist knows Montmarte is very hilly, but they also do several passages up the Menilmontant and the Buttes Chaumont. Those climbs make for tough walking, let alone cycling. It will be a spectacle worth watching in those areas as well.

Those climbs are not labeled on the profile, but you can see the spikes.

I was looking a little more closely at the road race circuit on the streets of Paris.
Almost every tourist knows Montmarte is very hilly, but they also do several passages up the Menilmontant and the Buttes Chaumont. Those climbs make for tough walking, let alone cycling. It will be a spectacle worth watching in those areas as well.

Montmartre via Rue Lepic
montmartre-rue-lepic.png

This will look fantastic.

In his epic short film C’était un rendez-vous director Claude Lelouch used Rue Caulaincourt to get to Sacré-Cœur. He drove a Mercedes-Benz 450 SEL 6.9 with some 290hp through the quiet Sunday morning of Paris in 1976. He violated every speed limit there is. Later the film was dubbed with the sound of Lelouch's Ferrari 275GTB. Which of course sounds way better and screams beautifully.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL6fbi0ysQ0

Really looking forward to this.

He has declined.
according to Russian media, Syritsa will get the spot (although he is not on the IOC list yet)

Montmartre via Rue Lepic
montmartre-rue-lepic.png

This will look fantastic.

In his epic short film C’était un rendez-vous director Claude Lelouch used Rue Caulaincourt to get to Sacré-Cœur. He drove a Mercedes-Benz 450 SEL 6.9 with some 290hp through the quiet Sunday morning of Paris in 1976. He violated every speed limit there is. Later the film was dubbed with the sound of Lelouch's Ferrari 275GTB. Which of course sounds way better and screams beautifully.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL6fbi0ysQ0

Really looking forward to this.
I loved the film.
The ending is memorable too.

Belgium announced their team for the TT and Road race. It will be Evenepoel, Van Aert, Benoot and Stuyven for the RR and Evenepoel and Van Aert for the TT.

I think this is a good choice, 2 clear leaders.
Yeah, that looks solid.

Stuyven and Benoot are great riders that have always done their job for the National team.

They're both more connected to Wout (as teammates/friends) than to Remco but I have no doubt that they're professional and loyal enough to work for both leaders.

Remco would have probably preferred Lampaert instead of one of them though.

Yeah, that looks solid.

Stuyven and Benoot are great riders that have always done their job for the National team.

They're both more connected to Wout (as teammates/friends) than to Remco but I have no doubt that they're professional and loyal enough to work for both leaders.

He might have preferred that, but these are the better choices. How the race can unfold it probably also doesn't really matter. Evenepoel needs to attack early, and the race needs to be hard, so he doesn't need them.

Reactions: KenFiamingo
Yeah, that looks solid.

Realistically, Remco's best chance is in the ITT. And of course, he will be very competitive in the World's RR.

Rue Lepic is definitely harder as its cobbled. If it rains it could be really interesting. The super steep climb around Buttes Chaumont is rue Crimée. In fact it would be cool if they did a tour of that parc.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Urska Zigart has said that she won’t be selected for the Olympics. When she spoke to the Slovenian coach before Suisse and the National championships she was told that they had decided last year to take Ursa Pintar and Gienia Bujak because of their contribution to women’s cycling.

Kind of wild to spend a year talking about how Olympics selection is a big goal and you even post pone your wedding for it only to find out you weren’t even considered.

I have searched for a detailed map of the route in Paris but I can't find one.
My wife and I are Paris lovers and we have walked all over the city.
I'm really looking forward to seeing racing on more the just the usual circuit they do for TdF finishes.

Urska Zigart has said that she won’t be selected for the Olympics. When she spoke to the Slovenian coach before Suisse and the National championships she was told that they had decided last year to take Ursa Pintar and Gienia Bujak because of their contribution to women’s cycling.

Kind of wild to spend a year talking about how Olympics selection is a big goal and you even post pone your wedding for it only to find out you weren’t even considered.

I understand it is important to be an Olympian, however, Zigart is not suited by the Olympic route. She'll be fine for the World's

I have searched for a detailed map of the route in Paris but I can't find one.
My wife and I are Paris lovers and we have walked all over the city.
I'm really looking forward to seeing racing on more the just the usual circuit they do for TdF finishes.
I don't have a detailed map, but this should be enough to match it visually on Google Maps.

ns4ywvui3owsrawvntpr
otherwise, La-Flamme-Rouge is always a good choice for interactive race maps

Reactions: Wyndbrook
I'm surprised that the WC is on Tissot, but the OG isn't.

EDIT: I see Omega is the official timekeeper for the Games, hmm.
Yes, from Beijing 2008, Omega is exclusively an official timekeeper of the Oympic Games. They've done it before too. 1932 was the first time I think. Since then they have done it frequently, sometimes alone, sometimes in coordinaton with Longines and Tag Heuer under the guidance of Swiss Timing and later Swatch Group.

I understand it is important to be an Olympian, however, Zigart is not suited by the Olympic route. She'll be fine for the World's
oh yes she was very honest about the route not suiting her. It was more to do with the fact she was told she was in consideration all this time when they actually chose the team last year. They probably should have just been upfront about it from the beginning.

None of the other women suite the WC route but so she should have full support for that.