• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 266 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
His wrist might be broken. But the complication of the fracture I believe is marketing from UAE. His rivals of course knows this.

He will be flying in July.
Good friend had a scaphoid fracture from football years ago and it took awful long to heal since its apparently a bone that is not well supplied with blood. That said, it was not extremly painful for him. Lets just see.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Pothole causing the fall of Pogacar in Liege-Bastogne-Liege is filled two days after the race

That looks like several different holes that've been patched. All of that broken pavement should have been removed and replaced and looks like some of it was. That's some public works competence for you.

Poorly maintained roads are a huge hazard when cycling. But in racing it is asking for crashes. Pot holes don't necessarily have to be filled they just have to be seen by the riders with adequate warning. Perhaps there is more to this that I am missing but it seems inexcusable that race organizers can't simply drive the route to inspect for dangerous road imperfections before each stage or race and put a marshal waving a flag at those points in the road. Not difficult or expensive. This is an example where sport safety can be improved without resorting to weird and bizarre world of airbags on bikes as I have seen suggested in this forum on other threads related to safety.

@Cookster15

In case of the picture above. Where the hole was spread over half of the lane. There should really be no excuses there. It's not just about pro peloton. That is a hazard to public transport.

As for the apparel. You might consider something bizarre ATM. But i am sure that a lot of people felt like that when introducing helmet. Like 20 years back and years prior to mandatory introduction. A lot of bizarre opposition from that era. I am sure that the helmet was not the last piece of safety oriented apparel introduced in road cycling. Apparel that can statistically prove it is effective. So just give it time and likely some day you will wear it too. And it won't feel weird or bizarre. Especially when you crash.

@Cookster15

In case of the picture above. Where the hole was spread over half of the lane. There should really be no excuses there. It's not just about pro peloton. That is a hazard to public transport.

As for the apparel. You might consider something bizarre ATM. But i am sure that a lot of people felt like that when introducing helmet. Like 20 years back and years prior to mandatory introduction. A lot of bizarre opposition from that era. I am sure that the helmet was not the last piece of safety oriented apparel introduced in road cycling. Apparel that can statistically prove it is effective. So just give it time and likely some day you will wear it too. And it won't feel weird or bizarre. Especially when you crash.
We’ve already established it’s a great idea for amateur or specifically recreational cyclists, because that is who the market is geared towards. When the many issues that have been brought up that you ignore get addressed I and others all agreed it would be in the peloton. The state it’s in, isn’t viable or safe for the professional racing. The problem with helmets when they were first coming out were looks, weight, vision, and heat. All of those were addressed and improved on getting to the point now. When the technological advancement is there, your wish will be granted.

Reactions: Cookster15
@SHAD0W93

The whole thing started with the question if it could be done. I feel that it was proven it could be done. And on top of that we all agreed is that some ironing out would still be needed.

Based on the current state of things UCI could say something like in 2025 and on this race it will be mandatory to wear an air bag vest. To test the waters. But obviously they won't. Hence we will get it around 2045. 40 years after the helmet. But hey. Better late then never. Personally i am confident it will happen. Why? Because it works and there is no real reason on why one wouldn't wear it. Once they take it seriously and produce a pro peloton variant. But enough about that for now. This won't get solved today!

I don’t know if it’s my sleep deprived brain or what but I fail to see how the airbag around the collarbone would help with a hand fracture, especially when we brought up arm and hand fractures will occur. This math just isn’t adding up. I don’t even know if driving the route is the answer. They should honestly ride it so they get a closer feeling to how the riders will feel when they’re on the roads. The NFL has the NFLPA for their players to be represented made up of former and current players. What if cycling had the same with their riders.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedheadDane
I've been to the future, and I can tell you that CyclistAbi will one day launch a line of protectice clothing, which will almost make crash-related injuries a thing of the past.

Below you'll see a picture of Pogačar winning the 2032 Tour de France on a very high tech Colnago bike:
XOOyTDU.jpg
Lol at the hair sticking out of the helmet...fantastic!

@Cookster15

Looking at that picture it appeared a larger area had been marked for repair and the paint demarcation was aged. There is also patches of different age based on the asphalt discoloration. If I were to guess the organizers or someone did highlight for repair and some slacker did the minimum and probably told the organizing staff "all done". After you drive a few cars over that area it would ravel into a worse situation and Tadej followed someone that didn't see it. Going that fast in a tight pack doesn't give you any reaction time. Sucks, big time.

@Cookster15

Maybe someone can figure it out but I am struggling to visualise how airbags on bikes could possibly work - technology or not?

Helmets are very easy - they sit on your head. Fashion wise we adjusted (yes I am from the pre helmet era). But where would an airbag sit on a race bike?

Not saying it’s impossible just saying it isn’t as simple as putting airbags in cars. There are many other safety aspects that can be considered first. Like too many motos and support vehicles?

Do motorcycles even have airbags? There are airbag jackets but with the emphasis on aerodynamics - and cooling - that presents other challenges for bike racing. So let’s worry about all the easy and obvious ways to improve safety first.

Maybe someone can figure it out but I am struggling to visualise how airbags on bikes could possibly work - technology or not?

Helmets are very easy - they sit on your head. Fashion wise we adjusted (yes I am from the pre helmet era). But where would an airbag sit on a race bike?

Not saying it’s impossible just saying it isn’t as simple as putting airbags in cars. There are many other safety aspects that can be considered first. Like too many motos and support vehicles?

Do motorcycles even have airbags? There are airbag jackets but with the emphasis on aerodynamics - and cooling - that presents other challenges for bike racing. So let’s worry about all the easy and obvious ways to improve safety first.
The airbag they’re referring too is the airbag jacket recreational cyclists use, and you’re points were brought up by many in the crashes thread when this was brought as a solution. there’s probably 5-7 pages of just that topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cookster15
Seriously, I think people who are outraged about this pothole are spoiled in regards to roads. Most roads in Germany now look like this, there are potholes everywhere. If nobody wants to spend the money on roads maintenance or close the roads for that for years, you think they do it just to have smooth roads for a bike race? Do you think there is just this one pothole in the whole stretch of road?
Many European roads look like streusel cake, it's normal, and you can also not put a sign to every single one. :joycat:
Sorry for laughing, I just wonder if you have an idea what these streets usually look like...

Second topic is the fracture - a hand/wrist fracture can take a long time to heal and it can have serious implications for racing. Sure, you can get on the trainer immediately, but there are many movements of a bike racer that are difficult to perform if you can't hold the bars with all strength, especially sprinting.

Unfortunately I see it as a major setback for Pogacar.

I've been to the future, and I can tell you that CyclistAbi will one day launch a line of protectice clothing, which will almost make crash-related injuries a thing of the past.

Below you'll see a picture of Pogačar winning the 2032 Tour de France on a very high tech Colnago bike:
XOOyTDU.jpg

In my research I also came across a few other models:

The Taylor Phinney/Ashton Lambie/Magnus Cort
s-l300.jpg

The Froome
images

And the philosophical Froglic
il_fullxfull.3473178391_pp39.jpg

Seriously, I think people who are outraged about this pothole are spoiled in regards to roads. Most roads in Germany now look like this, there are potholes everywhere. If nobody wants to spend the money on roads maintenance or close the roads for that for years, you think they do it just to have smooth roads for a bike race? Do you think there is just this one pothole in the whole stretch of road?
Many European roads look like streusel cake, it's normal, and you can also not put a sign to every single one. :joycat:
Sorry for laughing, I just wonder if you have an idea what these streets usually look like...

Second topic is the fracture - a hand/wrist fracture can take a long time to heal and it can have serious implications for racing. Sure, you can get on the trainer immediately, but there are many movements of a bike racer that are difficult to perform if you can't hold the bars with all strength, especially sprinting.

Unfortunately I see it as a major setback for Pogacar.

Maybe that's why there are potholes on the roads because people like you are in the majority who think that's normal. And there's no outrage that corrupt politicians only care about lining the pockets of their oligarch masters with taxpayer money. Europe is slowly but surely becoming a giant shithole, lagging behind Asia in everything.

Btw, as I wrote before if he gets the best treatment like the MotoGP guys he'll be fit quite soon.

You make a reasonable point about general conditions but this is a specific race. The fact that they had been repairing potholes; particularly in very high speed areas and assuring participants that those areas are safe is the issue. Most racers are used to that risk and ride accordingly while a responsible promoter should take the measures to minimize the very large problems. I wouldn't blame the local government since these are farm roads. Unless the promoter paid them to do it and the end product was what we saw. The promoter is the responsible party for marking risks like road furniture and posting marshalls to direct riders away from traffic diverters not visible in a large pack.

I am indeed spoiled as hell as Austrian. For some reason we have the best roads I have ever seen which makes me actually wonder often why roads in other countries are so shitty (incl. Germany, Luxembourg, France, Italy where I have driven a car so far in Western Europe). Switzerland was good as well, Iceland was superb on the one real road they have.

Reactions: Sandisfan and BR2
I am indeed spoiled as hell as Austrian. For some reason we have the best roads I have ever seen which makes me actually wonder often why roads in other countries are so shitty (incl. Germany, Luxembourg, France, Italy where I have driven a car so far in Western Europe). Switzerland was good as well, Iceland was superb on the one real road they have.
Shout out to Spain as well. I've been cycling in Andalucia / Sierra Nevada and the roads were mostly pristine. Mallorca less so but still pretty good.
France and Italy can be quite a mixed bag in my experience.

TRENDING THREADS