• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 366 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Teddy & Juan TdF leadership fun and games have begun. (let's hope Solar also does the TdF - pure entertainment!)
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...-has-wishes-but-they-dont-come-true-so-easily
“I think he is growing up as a rider, as a person also. He has a super level, but the management need to decide for him what he is going to do, because everybody has wishes but they don’t come true so easily," Pogacar said of his teammate in an interview with GCN.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Maybe, but he also lost to Vingegaard in 2021.

I think the question is whether a different approach would make a difference. If he doesn't race LBL but spends his time training or uses an easier race as training, then maybe he doesn't crash.

Personally I prefer that he does as many classics as he wants, but he shouldn't expect to be better in the Tour than in previous years with the same schedule.
In 2021 he beat Vingegaard by 5 minutes. Here is stage 8 for a reminder of his superiority. By the TT the Tour was over.

For 2023, I think you might be discounting the effect of his LBL crash on what eventuated in July. Last year I think Pogacar was a shot to match Vingegaard until his crash. At PN he rode Vingegaard off his wheel on stage 4. I also prefer he does the spring classics but the LBL crash injury put a huge dent in his prep. He and UAE did everything they could to overcome that setback but it wasn't enough. He did a great TT despite losing 1'38" but that emptied him and he paid for it the following day. That's what happens when you lack base condition.

In 2021 he was 23. Last year he was 24. I think we can assume that without the LBL crash Pog would have been better in July. Maybe not good enough to topple Vingegaard but better nonetheless. Such as not imploding and losing nearly 6 minutes on stage 17.

I meant 2022 but mistyped. No need to be snarky.

That aside, I don't disagree that Pogacar's base was probably hurt by being off the bike during a critical build phase. We'll never know if he could have beaten Vingegaard if his training wasn't interrupted. My point is that not racing so intensely allows for more control over variables, like crashes or having to go deep in the red when it might not be a great idea. It could benefit him.

Situations like this remind me how much I dislike that the TdF is the 800 pound gorilla of pro cycling. I want to see Pogacar win every monument, every GT, WCRR and the Olympics. That would be an amazing feat.

I don't care if he wins another TdF, to be honest.

I meant 2022 but mistyped. No need to be snarky.

That aside, I don't disagree that Pogacar's base was probably hurt by being off the bike during a critical build phase. We'll never know if he could have beaten Vingegaard if his training wasn't interrupted. My point is that not racing so intensely allows for more control over variables, like crashes or having to go deep in the red when it might not be a great idea. It could benefit him.

Situations like this remind me how much I dislike that the TdF is the 800 pound gorilla of pro cycling. I want to see Pogacar win every monument, every GT, WCRR and the Olympics. That would be an amazing feat.

I don't care if he wins another TdF, to be honest.

Pogacar lost to the JV team.

It was essentially Pog v JV team.

"All's fair in love and war."

Reactions: Cookster15
In the off season, some people go to a hardstyle show in Amsterdam (Evenepoel). Looks like fun!
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CzjVQMMMcb4/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Other people go to Giro de Rigo; also they dance (van Aert). Good times!
View: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzgwluArDYS/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

We've already talked about the Vingegaards going to a royal gala dinner. So classy and stylish!

But you could also sing with your friends and national team accompanied by not one but two accordions! (Mohorič, Pogačar, Novak, Govekar, Mezgec, Vovko, Jerman.)

View: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Czje8KDsiXC/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Last edited:
I think his focus and the teams will be on winning yellow back at the Tour. Other than the UAE Tour it is really important. UAE will send Yates again to the UAE Tour and allow Tadej to build slowly also with the addition of not being coached by Inigo San Milan for 2024, will be interesting to see how he further develops.

Pogi should do some Classics (Strade, MSR, RVV, LBL) AND the Giro 2024 and then come into the Tour with an already dominant season under his belt. He can still be good in July off of the Giro, which he can win without being in top form.
I guess he still can pull of a decent Tour result then. But he will be absolutely chanceless vs. Vingegaard. Not sure the team, sponsors, and even himself want that. While I like his very round profile, its also a bit running away from your biggest obstacles (the Evenepoel style if you want so).

I guess he still can pull of a decent Tour result then. But he will be absolutely chanceless vs. Vingegaard. Not sure the team, sponsors, and even himself want that. While I like his very round profile, its also a bit running away from your biggest obstacles (the Evenepoel style if you want so).
Nah, it is nowhere close to that if he does Strade, MSR, RVV, LBL and the Giro... before also going Tour.

But you could also sing with your friends and national team accompanied by not one but two accordions! (Mohorič, Pogačar, Novak, Govekar, Mezgec, Vovko, Jerman.)

View: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Czje8KDsiXC/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I spoke too soon. Even more fun to be had apparently - Pogačar and Bujak were named Slovenian cyclists of the year - Ravbar young Slovenian cyclist of the year - Mohorič, Roglič and Erzen received special prizes.

Dress code for cyclists seems to have been sneakers? They all look happy and comfortable.

View: https://twitter.com/Cocaloca99/status/1724156322898227331?t=xf3X0_CKWMwuvSn4OMIHug&s=19

Last edited:
  • Love
66133040.jpg

It was great seeing the magnificent Pogi again in Monaco recently, at the Beking charity critérium event. He's simply too adorable for words! A true modern day cycling icon. Here's a photo I took of him and his lovely pro-cyclist fiance Urška Žigart posing for my camera. That was so lovely of them.

UPDATE: I'm trying to upload a photo from my phone but can't seem to do it. Can someone explain how, please?

It was great seeing the magnificent Pogi again in Monaco recently, at the Beking charity critérium event. He's simply too adorable for words! A true modern day cycling icon. Here's a photo I took of him and his lovely pro-cyclist fiance Urška Žigart posing for my camera. That was so lovely of them.

UPDATE: I'm trying to upload a photo from my phone but can't seem to do it. Can someone explain how, please?
Upload it to a hosting site, like https://imgur.com/. Then copy the image link and insert an image here (Ctrl+P) by pasting the URL.