• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 606 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It depends on what you mean by better, but both are frankly just bad parcourses for him. But in Paris at least you can't say Van der Poel auto wins against him.

Olympics should be complete pandemonium though with such a small peloton from the start, and the favorite there for me is simply the Van Aert/Evenepoel combo
Add in no radios as well and things should hopefully be brutal.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It depends on what you mean by better, but both are frankly just bad parcourses for him. But in Paris at least you can't say Van der Poel auto wins against him.

Olympics should be complete pandemonium though with such a small peloton from the start, and the favorite there for me is simply the Van Aert/Evenepoel combo
I agree about the Belgians being the favorites but you agree Pogacar absolutely has a chance to win, right? Aside from that, the Olympics are the one case where I rate second and third places extremely highly because the medals have an importance outside of the cycling world. In a country like Austria, and I would guess it's similar with Slovenia, you get the front page of the newspaper if you win bronze.

I agree about the Belgians being the favorites but you agree Pogacar absolutely has a chance to win, right? Aside from that, the Olympics are the one case where I rate second and third places extremely highly because the medals have an importance outside of the cycling world. In a country like Austria, and I would guess it's similar with Slovenia, you get the front page of the newspaper if you win bronze.
For me a fit Pogacar is always going to be in the shakeup for the Olympics parcours we have this year but to actually win it probably requires dropping MVDP which will be a tough ask given his prep should be far more ideal than Pogs.

I mean, it's basically impossible to have 0 chance. But I think every intangible is stacked against him.

I mean, it's basically impossible to have 0 chance. But I think every intangible is stacked against him.
I don't know, I think people are underestimating the importance of strength even in a race like this. It's not just all a crapshoot. If he gets into a group with Evenepoel, I think Evenepoel works with him and suddenly he is absolutely in a position to win.

I don't know, I think people are underestimating the importance of strength even in a race like this. It's not just all a crapshoot. If he gets into a group with Evenepoel, I think Evenepoel works with him and suddenly he is absolutely in a position to win.
Belgian newspapers gonna be on fire if Evenepoel brings Pogacar to the line without Van Aert there.

My overall point is it's probably not hard enough for him to win by brute force, the tactical nature of the race does him no favors, and I think doing both Giro and Tour does him little favors as well.

Reactions: Miha81 and scribers
Did someone say Mamma di Pasta?

mLkj5p.gif

I would expect him to learn the lesson of Australia 2022 and not be too passive waiting for the last 3 laps while dangerous riders go up the road. This time if Remco anticipates Tadej will jump on it.

Reactions: Sandisfan

He already has a bronze medal.

Reactions: scribers