• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 662 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think Pog won’t be safe from Jonas until he gets an advantage that would suffice for Almeida/Yates to bring it home. Jonas already switched to his pre-TT 2023 rhetoric and while last year, I was just having fun at observing all those (I thought empty) threats he was making, this year as a fan, I’m taking them seriously… There will be a moment when Jonas drops Pog and Pog needs to control it this time using his team if necessary to do damage limitation. Or try to drain Jonas before this happens (again - using the team).

Reactions: Savant12
If he win giro-tour this year i believe its not question that he is the greatest of all time
theres not much question about it even now is it? Do people actually believe Merckx would beat the likes of Vingegaard in the mountains and Van der Poel in flandern? Noone actually believes that. Think the media has crowned him the goat already. Sure would just be another thing pilled up if he wins the double ofcourse.

Last edited:
theres not much question about it even now is it? Do people actually believe Merckx would beat the likes of Vingegaard in the mountains and Van der Poel in flandern? Noone actually believes that. Think the media has crowned him the goat already. Sure would just be another thing pilled up if he wins the double ofcourse.
He is bored. He is racing a lot better but he still is a kid in a candy shop when he is in a race. I think he won't attack in stage 9 but 2 or 3 years ago, he would attack for sure.

• Wow
Reactions: SHAD0W93
And Vingegaard accurately stated he took 7 minutes in 2 stages last year.
Then Pogacar needs to crash and get hurt like he was last year so its totally not relevant but then were back to they need something to happen to him and same with Mvdp in classics as they are just not as strong them. If anything it wrecks of inferior complex ngl but dont know in what way he said it properly in no way a disrespectful way just interpretrated like that by someone who read betwen the lines.

Reactions: snipeheem
Only if you resort to extensive hyperboleing could you claim that Merckx would beat the best of today, even if you give him the best of today's equipment. One really must assume that he could've been substantially better than he actually was. That might not be all too unlikely and at his time he really needn't to be any better than he was but beating Van der Poel at Paris-Roubaix or Flanders or Pog at LBL or Le Tour.... no.

And Vingegaard accurately stated he took 7 minutes in 2 stages last year.
Do you know my opinion? He is right, we just need to embrace this healthy rivalry. Vingegaard is insecure because he knows he doesn't have the level to beat Pogacar (in this moment, maybe in the third week he can have the level) so he is playing mind games with him, trying to turn a defeat in a small win. For that reason, he (and Visma) said they were expecting to lose 2 minutes until Galibier. They said any time loss inferior to one minute in the TT (for Pogacar) would be great for Vingegaard. For me this is just mind games and trying to shake off the pressure and putting everything on Pogacar’s shoulders.

Jack Nicholson wouldn't be in the top 100 golfers now, Ali would get battered by the top 25 boxers, Bradman would be lucky to average 20. This is such a pathetic basic argument.

Jack Nicholson wouldn't be in the top 100 golfers now, Ali would get battered by the top 25 boxers, Bradman would be lucky to average 20. This is such a pathetic basic argument.
I dont think Merckx woulda been close to even riders like Mas in the mountains or Bettiol, Skujins in flandern or most of the peleton today even its ludacrious to think that and only nostalgia talking nothing else :tearsofjoy:
Wasnt meant as a argument just a simple fact and all that is correct ofcourse and normal.

Do you know my opinion? He is right, we just need to embrace this healthy rivalry. Vingegaard is insecure because he knows he doesn't have the level to beat Pogacar (in this moment, maybe in the third week he can have the level) so he is playing mind games with him, trying to turn a defeat in a small win. For that reason, he (and Visma) said they were expecting to lose 2 minutes until Galibier. They said any time loss inferior to one minute in the TT (for Pogacar) would be great for Vingegaard. For me this is just mind games and trying to shake off the pressure and putting everything on Pogacar’s shoulders.
Actually Vingegaard is proving by far he is the best GT rider in normal conditions.

He is "injured". 3 months ago he was in the hospital with broken ribs, collarbone and pneumotorax, and after one week of racing he just lost 1 min and 15s. Now imagine he was in top shape in this race......

When he was in the hospital 3 months ago and you said to him that he was just going to the final part of the Tour with a gap of 1 min and 15, he would buy that deal everyday! That's why he is confident and not insecure, because he knows 1 min and 15 s is not that much for him.

He just needs one super day in the last week, and is game over. It will be bad news for Pogacar if he get's in top shape, in the last week.

• Haha
Reactions: James M
Actually Vingegaard is proving by far he is the best GT rider in normal conditions.

He is "injured". 3 months ago he was in the hospital with broken ribs, collarbone and pneumotorax, and after one week of racing he just lost 1 min and 15s. Now imagine he was in top shape in this race......

When he was in the hospital 3 months ago and you said to him that he was just going to the final part of the Tour with a gap of 1 min and 15, he would buy that deal everyday! That's why he is confident and not insecure, because he knows 1 min and 15 s is not that much for him.

He just needs one super day in the last week, and is game over. It will be bad news for Pogacar if he get's in top shape, in the last week.
How your opinion changes... before the Tour you were saying Vingegaard would only start the Tour if he was at his best, now you are saying he is far from his best shape. You said you wouldn't give excuses (his injuries) if he was beaten, your narrative is already changing... C'mon dude, be consistent in your opinion for once.

How can he be that when he has 2 GT wins and noone vs Pogacar when he wanst hurt. Gotte be wildest take ive heard. Might be different generation talking here but haha that made me laugh out loud atleast.:tearsofjoy: Your picture didnt exactly help but atleast it made help to make sense of what you typed:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Reactions: snipeheem
How your opinion changes... before the Tour you were saying Vingegaard would only start the Tour if he was at his best, now you are saying he is far from his best shape. You said you wouldn't give excuses (his injuries) if he was beaten, your narrative is already changing... C'mon dude, be consistent in your opinion for once.
might it be a case of wanting to believe something to suit your narrative thing i wonder haha ;) some minds can work like that eventually they believe it too. But atleast it got me cracking up ngl:laughing::laughing::tearsofjoy:

How can he be that when he has 2 GT wins and noone vs Pogacar when he wanst hurt. Gotte be wildest take ive heard. Might be different generation talking here but haha that made me laugh out loud atleast.:tearsofjoy: Your picture didnt exactly help but atleast it made help to make sense of what you typed:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Pogi wasn't hurt in 2022 preparations. He had inferior team though.

[[Content deleted]]

Last edited by a moderator:

Did you expect anything else? If Vinge wins you will read about greatest GC rider forever. If Vinge losses (and Pogi wins) you will read about Pogacar's average numbers for at least one year ;)

No, i didn't said that. I said he was going to the Tour if he was able to start in decent shape, and be able to peak in the last week.

If we don't count "injuries", it's 1-0 to Vingegaard at the moment.

Let's not forget Vingegaard was "injured" in 2021.

In 2022, nobody was injured, so 1-0, if we also don’t count last year because Pogacar was "injured".

Reactions: Berniece