• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 71 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
His team looks far from unbeatable when it comes to the mountain stages. If Ineos play their cards right and JV don't go full Rabofail, the can put him under pressure.
Now if you just wait for the final climb you're probably not gonna beat this version of Pogi (unless he has a meltdown, gets sick or crashes).

...a poster here has been saying that for quite a while... ;-)

even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Yeah but Roglic is crippled.

I mean a mummified crippled Roglic only lost 44 seconds today, so that "convincing Pogacar win" scenario only came about because Roglic went into the ditch. That was not predictable.

2013 Froome meanwhile was inherently head & shoulders above all his rivals. He was in 2014 as well, but he himself went into a ditch & had a DNF which made Nibali look like a Terminator.

Just some food for thought.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Yeah but Roglic is crippled.

absolutely. i do not disagree. perhaps the extent of the gap between them would not end up as much ultimately, but it would be waaaaaay wider than last year.

i posted elsewhere -- it is silly to think Rog would be much (if any) improved on last year. meanwhile the only variable likely to be in ascendence is an amazing 21 year old, now 22.

this has been the history of cycling forever. and for the umpteenth time I suggest you look at the difference between the manner of Fignon's two wins.

He will be the next man to do the Giro Tour double

He will do triple Giro, Tour and Vuelta in one season :D.

On a serious note (or not). He is on trajectory to one of the greatest seasons in history. So far he won:

• UAE Tour
  • Tirreno-Adriatico
  • LBL
  • Tour of Slovenia
What he can still win:

• TDF (very likely, but still has to bring it home)
  • RR OI or TT OI (maybe even both :tearsofjoy:)
  • Vuelta (if he will even go, this one is really unlikely)
  • Il Lombardia (don't know if he will even ride it, but still)
Scary at 22y old. Beating everyone on climbs and TTs. How can you beat this guy?

Theoretically there are only 2 people who 'may' be able to beat him over next few years. Remco if his TT is even better than Pog and he can just follow in the mountains/learn to descend. Or Bernal if the tour rigs it so there are only 30km of TT and a few proper 7/hour 5 or 6 climb stages at altitude.

Wow,

We already knew about his skills & potential before last year's tour-yet he raised the bar by winning it in the last stage when all odds declared Roglic ......

& here we are on stage 5 of this year's Tour thinking he's going to be marked & Challenged by INEOS & Jumbo............. SO it happens he's already a minute + 45 secs ahead of his nearest challenger - and we haven't gotten to the mountains yet...... o_O

So what are the "limits" for this new rider Superstar? Should we start calling it the "Pogacar Reign" already? given what we've seen so far, who can realistically stop him?
Imagine if Pogacar goes to INEOS? o_O

Reactions: Poursuivant
absolutely. i do not disagree. perhaps the extent of the gap between them would not end up as much ultimately, but it would be waaaaaay wider than last year.

i posted elsewhere -- it is silly to think Rog would be much (if any) improved on last year. meanwhile the only variable likely to be in ascendence is an amazing 21 year old, now 22.

this has been the history of cycling forever. and for the umpteenth time I suggest you look at the difference between the manner of Fignon's two wins.

On the age factor (i.e. young riders getting better) you could be correct, but I'm a bit burned on that particular aspect of cycling after I spent years following (& supporting) Andy Schleck in the Tour.

The "he'll get better, he's young!" promise turned seriously sour by the end. So I'm not a total believer in young riders automatically improving with age. Likewise Roglic is an interesting case of someone who has reached huge heights but always had some mitigated circumstances which explained losses (like his pre-Tour dauphiné crash last year).

In Basque Country both Roglic & Pogacar were very evenly matched, so I based my assumption & predictions on that.

TRENDING THREADS