• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 93 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Equally, it is impossible to be a one-time winner of the Tour de France who wins again, as when you win again you are a two time winner rather than a one time winner.

If u read my post I am simply pointing out that all the one-time winners obviously lost the next time. But that also means they likely failed to repeat after losing (Zoetemelk, Ocana, Riis, Van Impe, etc. etc. )

There is nothing here for Bernal to break, he will just join Lambot, Leducq, Magne, Maes, Bartali, Coppi and Thevenet as two time winners with at least one loss in between.

Which is rare. That is my only point.

All I was noting was Pog may want to focus on the TDF to see if he can tie or break the most important record in cycling. If he tries to do the giro Tdf double, he may struggle to win the TDF… at which point winning it again in future years appears rare in these cases. Why risk it? Just focus on the TDF. Throw in the Vuelta. And once u have taken six, go for the giro.

Okay. Done on this. Arguing in circles it seems.

domination? ;-)

He was at a beach yesterday so I guess he might try something else than altitude camp: Beach Camp :p

But I would like to know if he will indeed do Lombardia and if he will do other races. Hoping for the Worlds. Not sure the parcours is for him, but then again, which parcours is not for him ;). And I am from Belgium so any Belgian race would be fun.

His girlfriend Urska will ride the Tour of Norway starting August 12.

Agree.. But'll be hard to win that race. That race is so perfect for Van Art. I fell the calendar missing a great 1 week races for climbers as alternative for La Vuelta.
Don't think it should appeal to the clibmers, but I wish it were harder and more prestigious. I think it could be a great stage race for classics riders, more so than Benelux Tour.

For climbers you can't compete with the Vuelta, so if they don't wanna do that there's kinda nothing except for Lombardia, so I would love some really hard climby one day races to happen during the Vuelta.

Reactions: Offline
Don't think it should appeal to the clibmers, but I wish it were harder and more prestigious. I think it could be a great stage race for classics riders, more so than Benelux Tour.

For climbers you can't compete with the Vuelta, so if they don't wanna do that there's kinda nothing except for Lombardia, so I would love some really hard climby one day races to happen during the Vuelta.

Agree. I don't want Tour of Britain to appeal for climbers. I was talking about a new race I felt the world tour / pro series was missing.

Reactions: Red Rick

How could a stage race be better for classics riders than the Benelux Tour?

He is already the only rider to win the Tour and a monument in the same year since Hinault.

Including the WCRR (and OGRR even if it doesn't make a difference here), only LeMond ('89) and Roche ('87) have managed to do so in the same year. Including the WCTT and OGTT would add Wiggins ('12) and Indurain ('95). It has been more common to win another GT in the same year, done by Froome ('17), Pantani ('98), Indurain ('92, '93) and Roche ('87).

Only Roche (and not even Hinault) managed to win two of the biggest races and the Tour in the same year, the famous Triple Crown. Merckx is the last to do so before Roche.

TRENDING THREADS