• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 515 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The landscape for a Vuelta good result is also coming together this year for UAE super domestiques. Let's assume Vingo will need a year to get back to his former self (god willing), and Roglic/Remco put it all on the line for le tour, I would consider NOT being on this tour squad if Pogi comes in ready to compete.

It's hard to imagine why they need Almeida there. There is no need for that many climbers. Starting the Tour with two alphas isn't ideal, but I suppose that's what Ayuso was promised.

So, if it were my decision then: Pogacar (leader), Ayuso (co-leader), Yates (stay with the leaders for as long as possible), Soler & Sivakov (mountain helper), Wellens (road captain), Bjerg & Politt (rouleur)
I dont really know where this is coming from, Ayuso co-leader to Pog ? Pog is an absolute alpha dog at UAE

3rd. But I agree with you. Mvdp should have won the velon last year. Pog is a brilliant cyclist, one of the best ever but there's no need to go over the top about him.

Sorry but no. Pogacar 2023 season was definitely better than Mvdp season. Finishing 2nd at the TdF after an injury a few weeks before, and being the only guy competitive with Vingegaard while having won Flanders, Amstel Gold race, and Fleche. WTH?! And then finishing 3rd at the WC.

Concerning the TdF even Ulrich never threatened Armstrong like Pogi threatened Vingo until the last few stages. In 2003 Ulrich was so close to Armstrong only because of TTs, never because of these epic climbing battles.

1) Pogi annihilate MVDP in climbing
2) Pogi annihilate MVDP in TTs
3) Pogi can mostly go 50/50 in any of the road race against MVDP.

I think he will work after seeing how stronger Pog is compared to him. I can see a scenario where Pog will put the hammer down already in stage 1 with a strong long range attack.
I doubt it. Maybe if he loses time and starts racing aggressively, with long-range attacks, which may be beneficial for Pog. But I don't think you should ever expect serious domestique work from Ayuso.

Reactions: Sandisfan
You can be proud and healthy, but refusing to work out of spite for the most talented rider in decades just because you consider your self at least good...it's not a good omen. Let's wait and see if the young spaniard is dumb or blind.

I define Solerismo as the blatant difference between your real quality/potential and your self-perceived quality/potential as a rider that makes you work solely for your objectives and goals while ignoring team duties that are established according to the DS perception . So every rider is prone to it, although Spanish riders seem to herald it all the more.

Reactions: scribers
You can be proud and healthy, but refusing to work out of spite for the most talented rider in decades just because you consider your self at least good...it's not a good omen. Let's wait and see if the young spaniard is dumb or blind.

I define Solerismo as the blatant difference between your real quality/potential and your self-perceived quality/potential as a rider that makes you work solely for your objectives and goals while ignoring team duties that are established according to the DS perception . So every rider is prone to it, although Spanish riders seem to herald it all the more.
He had a reality check in Tirreno when Vingegaard obliterated him. Deep insight he knows Pogacar is better. Even in UAE, they have their numbers. For some reason Visma was relying his faith more in Vingegaard instead of Roglic.

Reactions: Sandisfan
This thread is getting everyone banned it seems. First @mou and now @velaso montador
Rip velaso matodor! Will know ye more on the reanimating!
I just got i guess overly keen when certain same people came in here to talk about other rider all the time cause its not anyone who care to debate it in the own rider thread so have to do it here i guess.. Ill just put em on mute and life here will be better for everyone so you dont have to see me get personal or whatever with anyone, thats not nice :)

I just got promoted at work this morning so life is good, I wish everyone here the bestest of start and the best week hehe :)

Looking forwayd to Liege then Giro too soon will be fun.

Last edited:
I understand the sentiment, but I doubt Pogi will do a long range attack in a flat course on the TdF, they'll all going to be at his pursuit, with all the sprinters who don't care if they lose 1 hour in the mountains and he will lose extremely precious energy that he will need in the mountains.

3 weeks race is different than a 1 day race where you can blow all your candles and take a week to recover.

the biggest return to reality will be experienced by Ayuso at Liege and the Tour. His biggest problem is the same as Pogacar's until this year, which is that he is coached by San Millan. Ayuso has the physiology and mentality of a winner, but he will soon find out that considering the coach still 2 levels below Pog. ask yourself why the whole peloton praises Domen Novak on Catalonia, G says that he has never seen anything like that in his life from such a profile of a cyclist, he himself kept every escape for 1 min, constantly for 7 days and do you know who trains Domen Novak and why is he currently one of the best domestic players in the world?
Pog has gone to another planet compared to Pog from 2023, but soon the confrontation with reality is coming for the entire peloton and MVDP in Liege😉

Last edited:
the biggest return to reality will be experienced by Ayuso at Liege and the Tour. His biggest problem is the same as Pogacar's until this year, which is that he is coached by San Millan. Ayuso has the physiology and mentality of a winner, but he will soon find out that considering the coach still 2 levels below Pog. ask yourself why the whole peloton praises Domen Novak on Catalonia, G says that he has never seen anything like that in his life from such a profile of a cyclist, he himself kept every escape for 1 min, constantly for 7 days and do you know who trains Domen Novak and why is he currently one of the best domestic players in the world?
Pog has gone to another planet compared to Pog from 2023, but soon the confrontation with reality is coming for the entire peloton and MVDP in Liege😉
Will he win by more than 2 minutes?

San Millan is training Sivakov, now just follow his development this season, at the first race in Valencia after the 1st leg, Sivakov's knee hurt without falling due to poor preparation for the season, now in Catalonia he was one less man for Pogacar. as he competes more, he will improve in form, but just follow Sivakov's level as it was and as it will be now with Millan, and he is in the best years for progress and a peak of his career

"We have been working together for a year, so far he is the best trainer I have had. Very responsive, very professional. He has a slightly different way of training, which obviously suits me. I have improved in all numbers since last year. I think we're on the right track. I trust him, which is the most important thing. I do what he says. He also listens to me when I say I'm tired. He adjusts the training. I think trust between the coach and the rider is the most important thing. I also think, that it is the right decision for Tadej and that he can progress a lot."

"I'm doing my job the way the team wanted, maybe even better, Tadej (Pogačar, op. a.) is also satisfied and that's the most important thing for me,"

"The coach is very professional and devotes himself to us individually. I have never received the kind of support I receive from him. He takes care of me every day, calls me or sends me an SMS, analyzes all my training sessions. When I upload the training data to the platform, within half an hour at the latest I get an assessment of the effectiveness of the training and the possibility of improvement."

"We enjoyed ourselves, because we had a great time. Each one of us knew why he was there. When Tadej (Pogačar) performs, we know what our tasks are. I think that Tadej is in a class of his own and that he has never been so good, which he also showed in the race. The rest of the competitors also did their job very well"

"I have to say that I am very satisfied. The team is also very satisfied with the way I do my work, and I may even have exceeded their expectations. Of course, the most important thing for me is Pogačar's satisfaction."

"We have been working together for a year, so far he is the best trainer I have had. Very responsive, very professional. He has a slightly different way of training, which obviously suits me. I have improved in all numbers since last year. I think we're on the right track. I trust him, which is the most important thing. I do what he says. He also listens to me when I say I'm tired. He adjusts the training. I think trust between the coach and the rider is the most important thing. I also think, that it is the right decision for Tadej and that he can progress a lot."

"I'm doing my job the way the team wanted, maybe even better, Tadej (Pogačar, op. a.) is also satisfied and that's the most important thing for me,"

"The coach is very professional and devotes himself to us individually. I have never received the kind of support I receive from him. He takes care of me every day, calls me or sends me an SMS, analyzes all my training sessions. When I upload the training data to the platform, within half an hour at the latest I get an assessment of the effectiveness of the training and the possibility of improvement."

"We enjoyed ourselves, because we had a great time. Each one of us knew why he was there. When Tadej (Pogačar) performs, we know what our tasks are. I think that Tadej is in a class of his own and that he has never been so good, which he also showed in the race. The rest of the competitors also did their job very well"

"I have to say that I am very satisfied. The team is also very satisfied with the way I do my work, and I may even have exceeded their expectations. Of course, the most important thing for me is Pogačar's satisfaction."
Source?

Reactions: RedheadDane
MVP was 6th in Liege in 2020. I wouldn't rule out a top5 or even a top3 place for him, especially if he manages to stay with some small group of strong guys and outsprint them at the line.
I very much believe too he can podium hes lighter this year too and his form is insane, glasgow form and hes so strong its pathetic. But even tho from podium in liege to do something with Pog i need to see it to believe it lets just say it like that.

people are not ready for the monster that is coming down from the Sierra Nevada mountains, my information tells me that Majka and Gross do not want to train with him and new trainers and mechanics had to come for the two of them in Nevada. Sola, Kavcnik and a physio who is also and the private coach who takes lactate samples on the field are in one car, and the other mechanic, coach and DS Marzano are in the car that follows Majka and Groschartner in training. The world has never seen this, this level Pog, absolutely broke all personal records and on it is at such a level that it would sweep Jonas but literally demolish it instantly and if the accident did not happen to Jonas at all, even if he recovers and is at 95%, there is no point in embarrassing and humiliating himself additionally without ideal preparation