• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 534 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tadej Pogacar "Whole Calendar" Slam Watchlist (also considering podiums)

1. Grand Tours:
Tour de France X2 (2020, 2021), 2nd (2022, 2023)
Giro de Italia: X (2024)
Vuelta a España: 3rd (2019)

2. Monuments:
Milano San Remo: 3rd (2024)
Ronde Van Vlaanderen: X (2023)
Paris Roubaix: TBA
Liege Bastogne Liege: X2 (2021, 2024), 3rd (2020)
Giro di Lombardia: X3 (2021,2022,2023)

3. World Championships and Olympic Races:
Olympic Road Race: 3rd (Tokyo 2020 -held in 2021-)
Olympic Time Trial: TBA
World Championship Road Race: 3rd (2023)
World Championship Time Trial: -

4. One Week Races:
París Nice: X (2023)
Tirreno-Adriático: X2 (2021, 2022)
Volta a Catalunya: X (2024)
Itzulia: 3rd (2021)
Tour de Romandie: TBA
Criterium du Dauphine: -
Tour de Suisse: TBA

5. Other Significant Races:
Omloop Het Volk / Het Nieuwsblad: TBA
UAE Tour (sigh): X2 (2021, 2022)
Strade Bianche: X2 (2022, 2024)
E3 Harelbeke: 3rd (2023)
Gent Wevelgem: TBA
Brabantse Pijl: TBA
Amstel Gold Race: X (2023)
Fleche Wallone: X (2023)
San Sebastian: -
Giro dell Emilia: 2nd (2022, 2023)
París - Tours: TBA

6. Stage Wins:
Giro de Italia Stage Wins: 3
Tour de France Stage Wins: 11
Vuelta a España Stage Wins: 3
Total GT Stage Wins: 17
Total Pro Wins: 73

7. "Minor" Accolades:
GP Montréal (2022), x2 Tour of Slovenia (2021, 2022), Tre Valli Varesine (2022), Tour of California (2019), Volta ao Algarve (2019), x2 Slovenian ITT Championships (2019, 2023), Slovenian Road Race Championships (2023).

Notes:
(1) "Other Significant Races" is a non-comprehensive list of races outside the well established and common accepted three categories (GT, Monuments, Seven "Historically/Traditional" One Week Races)
(2) "Minor Accolades" include another non-comprehensive list of other races won that might be missed by some users.
The aim is not to argue about which are the most relevant races but to keep track of which I feel are the most prestigious events regardless of the current official category.

Last edited:
From Strava he went 10” faster than Remco on Redoute. But with the downhill and next climb combined Pogi was only 6” faster in a 9’40” effort. So pretty equal performance from the attack and the Cornemont afterwards in their winning move.

Next in line Joseph Blackmore 40” down, in his LBL win 10 days earlier.

A level above the rest in these races.
But he was 14 seconds faster, I already confirmed that.

Reactions: Barkintheeye
No matter how hardcore fan you might be in favor of MVDP it’s hard to look past the achievements of Pog. He is definitely more versatile (on the road) than MVDP and he has beaten Mathieu at least once (RVV 2023) on his own ground. Should Pog continue to win spectacularly other classics such as MSR and PR (not too unlikely) he will clearly be the best Classics rider in this lifetime. Yet the next major showdown between these two is another divider: the next Road WC. Can Pog put that one down after having completed the Giro and the Tour? If yes then it’s something otherworldly to behold.

Its like Luke Rowe said on Eurosport during the race '' theres just isnt anyone who can do anything to him, hes that special ive never seen anything like him''

As long as ive watched cycling i havent seen anyone like this guy either hes truly something to behold beeing able to witness him is a pleasure and like someone typed in previous pages closest thing to Merckx there properly ever been indeed.

Its like Luke Rowe said on Eurosport during the race '' theres just isnt anyone who can do anything to him, hes that special ive never seen anything like him''

As long as ive watched cycling i havent seen anyone like this guy either hes truly something to behold beeing able to witness him is a pleasure and like someone typed in previous pages closest thing to Merckx there properly ever been indeed.

I get him having that reaction from seeing a great performance, but the race has been won exactly the same way the last two years, not really unique.

I get him having that reaction from seeing a great performance, but the race has been won exactly the same way the last two years, not really unique.
The difference between Remco and Pogacar is everyone talks about Remco's rolling ability but Pogacar have been putting more time in his rivals than Remco ever did. Pogacar would win with more than 2 minutes yesterday but he was cruising for a whole km.

The difference between Remco and Pogacar is everyone talks about Remco's rolling ability but Pogacar have been putting more time in his rivals than Remco ever did. Pogacar would win with more than 2 minutes yesterday but he was cruising for a whole km.

Yes he would do two minutes to the next best That's clear. I'm not much for comparing times between races as there are way too many variables. If you go down that route you could argue that 50% of the favorites where held up behind a crash and on and on we go. I just try to keep things in perspective. It was of course a great performance, no doubt, so was the performance of Remco. Sometimes memory can be very short when looking at it straight after or during the race.

Reactions: Poursuivant
There is always a case to be made about each race. As if we can quantify this… we can’t so there’s no reason to say one was better than the other
And yet I'm able to say with great confidence that e.g. Vingegaard's Tour win was greater than Rogla's Giro win last year.

I also think Pogi was more dominant this year in Liège than Evenepoel was last year, and if they faced each other that the former was more likely to drop the latter than the other way around.

And yet I'm able to say with great confidence that e.g. Vingegaard's Tour win was greater than Rogla's Giro win last year.

I also think Pogi was more dominant this year in Liège than Evenepoel was last year, and if they faced each other that the former was more likely to drop the latter than the other way around.
No, you're not. Dominance has got nothing to do with "greatness" .

Every cycling fan was watching the time trial in Giro because both Roglic and Thomas - even Almeida - had a chance. But specially Roglic after LPBF was in for a reversal that seemed scripted.

• Haha
Reactions: tobydawq
No, you're not. Dominance has got nothing to do with "greatness" .

Every cycling fan was watching the time trial in Giro because both Roglic and Thomas - even Almeida - had a chance. But specially Roglic after LPBF was in for a reversal that seemed scripted.
That's why he is talking about dominance.

Nevertheless, one Tour de France win has more greatness than a Giro d'italia, for some reason the Tour de France is the biggest and most important race of cycling.

Reactions: scribers
That's why he is talking about dominance.

Nevertheless, one Tour de France win has more greatness than a Giro d'italia, for some reason the Tour de France is the biggest and most important race of cycling.
To get a complete palmares, you must win every race. So I'd assume Poggi goes for P-N next year and maybe Dauphine too. Then Tour -Vuelta double. And a few selected classics.

To get a complete palmares, you must win every race. So I'd assume Poggi goes for P-N next year and maybe Dauphine too. Then Tour -Vuelta double. And a few selected classics.

Depends on what happens this year. If he gets the Giro-Tour double I even see a possible radical schedule change next year: going for all monuments (Flandres + Roubaix included) in the spring and Vuelta in the autumn.

Reactions: Sandisfan