• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 844 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bonking is when you've hit the wall by depleting your body's glycogen stored in the muscles and liver. Sprinting uses a different energy system - the Phosphagen System which doesn't metabolise glycogen.

Energy for Phoshagen System runs out after a 5-10 seconds (assuming a fresh effort, which is not the case here). Any kind of prolonged sprint (or sprint after an intense effort) uses glicolysis to generate ATP.

Energy for Phoshagen System runs out after a 5-10 seconds (assuming a fresh effort, which is not the case here). Any kind of prolonged sprint (or sprint after an intense effort) uses glicolysis to generate ATP.
Don't know how it exactly works with muscle recruitment but I would assume a sprint after a hard race still has some phosphagen involvement if the last few minutes before the sprint isn't too hard.

I think phosphagen recovery is a separate trait on it's own.

Nah, that's not a bonk. This is a bonk ...

Armstrong Joux Plane 2000 TdF

But I do agree that more likely Pogacar exaggerated his suffering on stage 11 to lull Visma into a false sense of security. I mean when you bonk you can usually still pull out a sprint? Since when is Vingegaard ever going to beat Pogacar in a sprint - like that day? But Visma obviously took the bait but were then relieved of their chutzpah on stage 15.
this, I was thinking about this stage it was a fake bonk; I remember after the stage Jonas said this is the turning point; a year before really was the turning point when Jonas caught him.

Reactions: Cookster15
Don't know how it exactly works with muscle recruitment but I would assume a sprint after a hard race still has some phosphagen involvement if the last few minutes before the sprint isn't too hard.

I think phosphagen recovery is a separate trait on it's own.

It's true that it can refill its super small "tank" quickly - in 1-3 minutes if there's a lot of oxygen available (light effort/recovery just before the sprint).

It's also true that even for very short efforts (i.e. 10-15 seconds) anaerobic glycolysis contributes substantially to the total energy yield so sugars shortcomings should be felt:

One thing is certain next season people are planning their season around him as he will gatekeep every big race and this leap he has done this year its gonne continue with the new coach, its only starting is what everyone says and close people too. Its also logical since he changed so much compared to before and naturaly got much more to go on which is a terrifying thought for the peloton when the gap to everyone is this big already.

One thing is certain next season people are planning their season around him as he will gatekeep every big race and this leap he has done this year its gonne continue with the new coach, its only starting is what everyone says and close people too. Its also logical since he changed so much compared to before and naturaly got much more to go on which is a terrifying thought for the peloton when the gap to everyone is this big already.
Even this year, a lot of riders missed the Giro because of him.

Reactions: Oldermanish
Zero chance he reach pog level. Goat will never lose another GT
This makes no sense. Jonas beat him in 2022 with a gap. Both of them improved their numbers and he beat him again in 2023 with a bigger gap. In the spring 2024 he showed strong improvement compared to 2023 and then crashed heavily in Spain. Without this he might have had the same improvement as Pogacar and beaten him - even Landa or Jorgenson had higher improvements than Jonas this year.

Reactions: scribers

TRENDING THREADS