• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tadej Pogacar and Mauro Giannetti

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
One thing i find odd though, is that the pundits doesn't even offer doping as a possibility but instead leans on the fact that nobody has been caught so there for cycling is clean.
In my Country the reporters are very anti-doping (of course) but they are just in a awe and say that he is special, no doubt he is but why is he special? they don't even broach the subject, which i find disturbing and also bad reporting. I dont suggest they come out and slander him of course but when something is off this many times, the idea must be there, no?
Is your country a Soviet country?

We simply have no idea, and from some reactions of other riders it almost looks like they don't either.
Okay, they probably know a bit more than we do, because we are absolutely clueless, aren't we?

To me it looks like some kind of blood-doping, some pretty old-school thing just modernised. Not that I know anything about these things, that's just what it resembles, especially since Pogacar doesn't have the most constant highest level, very high, yes, but it looks like he can up his game for certain events/ days. This also doesn't look like some kind of elaborate know-how about the best mix of hormonal micro-doping, the way that a year ago I thought doping today was done.

My best bet, and it's really nothing more than a bet, is that they are willing to take bigger risks, go for full juice instead of holding back, not working on the safe side, but risking to get caught, gambling on not getting caught.
He's probably going to win his second Tour this year, so of course the focus is all on him, but it's not like he's the only one who showed ridiculous stuff this year. Padun and Cavendish are up there as well for me, on a lower level a few others as well.
He's probably pretty talented to begin with and also a good responder.

Thank you. This is what this thread was missing. I need to hop on my bike now but will be returning. :)

To be honest with outliers like Pogacar, I doubt it's just about being within the wiggle room of tests and having a marginal gains type program.

This doesn't look like they're roughly on the same stuff and he's just doing it better.
Yeah but than its either risking more (don't have that feeling), having something others don't have (but why is UAE than not doing what Bahrain does?), having protection (Slovenia is no big cycling market like the US), or responding better to something (vague but I guess possie).

So in short - we kind of are almost totally in the dark on whats going on. The rest was summarized well by you. The COVID-break certainly led to an increase in overall level.

I would think its quite similar in most countries, until someone is found out. but if the "experts" keep adhering to some kind of code of silence even if what they are watching is absurd then we can never have a discussion about it, then how would we have a clean sport?, do we even want to?
Well, one can commentate the issue only when it breaks out.
Otherwise, it's a speculation or accusation. Not professional and desirable in the market economy-oriented industry of media and entertainment where sinless idols are sold.
Although the tabloid approach garners publicity as well.

Reactions: Bolder
So we can probably assume the 3 minute gap was probably exacerbated by tactics.

I think there was no coverage of the chase group starting the Colombiere, but over the top of Romme they were about 2 minutes exactly behind Pogacar, so they probably were able to take approximately 30 seconds on Carapaz on the Colombiere.

Under the assumption that with Castroviejo to lead Carapaz they were unable to take time on the Romme descent.

Arguably Carapaz faded, but at the same time from the limited coverage of the chase group it did not look like they were going all out.

Reactions: Red Rick
Yeah but than its either risking more (don't have that feeling), having something others don't have (but why is UAE than not doing what Bahrain does?), having protection (Slovenia is no big cycling market like the US), or responding better to something (vague but I guess possie).

So in short - we kind of are almost totally in the dark on whats going on. The rest was summarized well by you. The COVID-break certainly led to an increase in overall level.
Protection would not be about Slovenia. It would be about UAE oil money.