• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tadej Pogacar and Mauro Giannetti

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
no, its not, Slovenia is NOT part of the Balkans, shame on Dutch schools if they taught you so
Geographically it partially is.
Karte_Suedosteuropa_03_01.png

Culturally - entirely.

Can you please stop derailing this thread and discuss geo-politics in the appropriate sub-forum?
This is already the hottest thread in the forum and it's hard to keep track of all the messages. It becomes a nightmare with all of the off-topic of the past few hours.
The only defense Pog fans have right now is to derail discussions or trying hard to say that everyone is doping.

where the hell did you draw this map from, Slovenia is NOT part of the Balkans, for God sake
Yes it is.
South of Sava river all the way to Soča everything belongs to the Balkan peninsula.
And I don't even want to get into culture and politics (might tell some joke instead).

Edit:
Balkan's also known as a piece of Middle East in Europe.
Is there better proof than cycling WT?

Last edited:
For me Slovenia is South-Eastern Europe.
I don't know why this is important for the clinic, but that's the way it is for me. Same as Albania. Greece is southern Europe.
I don't think there is a clear definition for that.

Okay, I looked it up at German wiki and there seem to be several ideas about that, but you can see the map here, which is a proposition by the "Ständiger Ausschuss für geographische Namen"
(Standing Committee on Geographical Names):
It says Slovenia is Middle Europe but they also say Poland and Hungary are, and in my opinion those are clearly Eastern Europe.

Thinking about it, there is only one country for me that's Western Europe, and that's France. :D

Where do you draw the line?! Crazy how we are getting our knickers in a twist about this. Let's stay focused on the sheer madness that we saw today rather than where certain countries are supposed to be described geographically.

Pogacar riding the Colombiere in the big ring is gold!!! Epic

Pogacar makes Froome look like a clean rider. And I am not kidding. Pogacar jumps in history over Froome part of Contador all the way to Armstrong!. His nervous laugh. He doesn't know how to act. It is like "what should I do now?, cry, grab my hair, call my girlfriend, I don't know!!!!"

Froome in the 2018's Giro was more radioactive than this.

Reactions: Bolder
To be honest with outliers like Pogacar, I doubt it's just about being within the wiggle room of tests and having a marginal gains type program.

This doesn't look like they're roughly on the same stuff and he's just doing it better.
I keep hearing this stuff that everyone is doing it anyway, on his defense, but we know that wasn't true in the case of Armstrong. Later we found out that there were many other things. Contador would have probably won more Tours had the German lab not ratted him out.

Reactions: Red Rick
Yes. Thanks for providing a snippet of something worthwhile rather then arguments about whether Slovenia was under the iron curtain. Hopefully this speculation can be built upon here .
Hey Cookster, what hrotha said is a pretty good summary. To what you noted in an earlier post, I actually think with the right skillful physician in place, right equipment, etc., you can manage things with the biopassport just fine. Altitude training camps are nice and helpful (for explaining some fluctuation)! Of course, you still need talent. In fact you need a combination of talents, the typical athletic kind, and the kind that make you a good responder.

You just don't know with someone like Gianetti. SD was doing some crazy stuff, not subtle at all. It will be interesting to see what comes up in the next few years.

no, its not, Slovenia is NOT part of the Balkans, shame on Dutch schools if they taught you so

Look kiddo, I understand that you get very angry because people are questioning your local Lance boy(btw that is the reason of this section if you dont like it dont come) and to be fair everybody must be presumed innocent until the contrary is demonstrated, no matter how Pantani-esque the performance may be, but you have to stop with the charade , you are embarrassing yourself.

Go,read Slavo> https://quod.lib.umich.edu/j/jii/4750978.0006.202/--spectre-of-balkan?rgn=main;view=fulltext

Yes, you dont like to be grouped with those "serbs/croats/macedonians" yuk!!, the same way the Serbs dont like to be grouped with the Moldovans, but guess what? Tough luck, everybody considers a FRY country as culturally Balkan and "eastern-european" . People will group Ljubljana with Zagreb, Belgrade, Kiev or Lublin not with Madrid, Amsterdam,Milan or London. When people in the "west" were dealing with John Mayor, Mitterrand or Felipe Gonzalez you have to somehow directly or indirectly deal with Milosevic and before him with Tito, it doesnt get more "Balkan " than that.

BTW I dont know what is your desire to be grouped with the "west" or with a fictional mittel-Europa (as if you have more in common with the Hungarians, Austrians and Germans than with the Croats and Serbs) , be proud of who you are , instead of wishing to be in the same group with the Italians and the English.