• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tadej Pogacar and Mauro Giannetti

Page 148 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That's a great point. The modern era of professional bodybuilding is called the "mass monsters" (i.e. freak show. Lol). They take huge amounts of anabolic steroids, testosterone, growth hormones, IGF-1, anti-aromatization drugs, etc, spending thousands of dollars a month on their PED habit.

Contrast that with the Golden era bodybuilders in the 70's (e.g., Arnold, Lou Ferrigno, Frank Zane, Ken Waller, etc) who took relatively small amounts of a few steroids - they were actually in very good health (most of the Golden era guys are still alive today!).
I've seen Pumping Iron a few times and I think Arnold and that whole generation of bodybuilders looked so much better and more natural (despite the steroids and whatever else), their bodies and muscles looked well-defined and well-proportioned. (Especially Arnold.) The muscle monsters of today look like bloated freaks who look more like cartoons... of course, the bodybuilding community has standards of its own, to them the obvious steroid freak (like Ronnie Coleman or Jay Cutler) looks beautiful, I guess.

Last edited:
Oh, now I think I finally understand why people are talking about "responding to" this and that doping. It's like with medication in general.

But then the "good responders" logically would also mean there will possibly be more side effects/risks. And the not so good responders with less side effects might in reality be better responders, since less side effects etc.

So how would it in reality be possible to make an amazing athlete simply out of how they respond to a drug? Especially not without risking their lives? It doesn't make sense to me at all.
I mean, the most obvious example in blood doping/EPO golden age was always that there were guys with comparably low hematocrit naturally that would then gain more improvement than guys that were comparatively high already. And I guess a little bit you can use that argument for all performance-relevant parameters like testosterone, growth hormone, and so on and so forth.

And yeah, obviously drugs are also metabolized differently. So overall, I just think its very complex to even determine a good and bad responder upfront.

Reactions: noob and Extinction
You've got to hand it to the new doped generation: That was fun to watch. My eyes never left Pogocar from 3 km to go. I don't even know who won the stage, because I was still staring at him in stunned disbelief when the winning riders crossed the line. I was cheering for him to win the friggin' stage!
Talk about hubris! Amazing stuff.
At least there's a tomorrow for Pogocar. And the next day, and the next day, and so on and so forth and more of the same.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023
Visit site
I mean, at least Armstrong had the grace and intelligence to pick his stages and share out the baubles with the lesser mortals. Pogacar wants to win everything and grind everyone into dust. Neither does there appear to be any attempt to conserve energy, probably in the knowledge that he doesn’t need to, that there will be no real impact on his energy and performance levels. Or if there is, then no one is going to be able to capitalise because the gap to the rest is so great in any case. That arrogance/exuberance (take your pick) can be his Kryptonite, especially when up against someone who can pick him off over a few days at high altitude (Jonas) but unfortunately this race is already over bar an accident. Overall I just don’t believe what I’m seeing, but it sure the hell isn’t sport, and I’m also sick of listening to the Eurosport ‘isn’t he amazing’ crap. No he’s not amazing, he’s a very naughty boy.

I mean, the most obvious example in blood doping/EPO golden age was always that there were guys with comparably low hematocrit naturally that would then gain more improvement than guys that were comparatively high already. And I guess a little bit you can use that argument for all performance-relevant parameters like testosterone, growth hormone, and so on and so forth.

And yeah, obviously drugs are also metabolized differently. So overall, I just think its very complex to even determine a good and bad responder upfront.
Well, Armstrong was clearly a good responder.

• Haha
Reactions: noob
I mean, at least Armstrong had the grace and intelligence to pick his stages and share out the baubles with the lesser mortals. Pogacar wants to win everything and grind everyone into dust. Neither does there appear to be any attempt to conserve energy, probably in the knowledge that he doesn’t need to, that there will be no real impact on his energy and performance levels. Or if there is, then no one is going to be able to capitalise because the gap to the rest is so great in any case. That arrogance/exuberance (take your pick) can be his Kryptonite, especially when up against someone who can pick him off over a few days at high altitude (Jonas) but unfortunately this race is already over bar an accident. Overall I just don’t believe what I’m seeing, but it sure the hell isn’t sport, and I’m also sick of listening to the Eurosport ‘isn’t he amazing’ crap. No he’s not amazing, he’s a very naughty boy.
On the RAI coverage the way of putting it is: "He does another sport" ("Fa un altro sport"), meaning he's in a class of his own.

Then don’t watch. Nobody’s forcing you to follow races he is in.

Reactions: snipeheem
Jul 15, 2023
Visit site
Then don’t watch. Nobody’s forcing you to follow races he is in.
Without actually realising it, you’ve just identified the problem with doping. Apart from robbing clean riders of their just rewards, their glory, riders and teams who dope represent an existential threat to the sport. They’re enemies of the sport because if people can’t believe what they’re seeing people *will* stop watching it. I’ve seen plenty of comments on these pages to that effect. If they stop watching then sponsors will withdraw, TV will do the same, and that’s the end. We’ve seen this happening to athletics, and it almost happened to cycling post Armstrong. And yet all the same people from that era, bar a few sacrificial offerings are still hanging around doing pulling the same crap they’ve always pulled. Human beings. They don’t effing learn.

• Love
Reactions: noob
Without actually realising it, you’ve just identified the problem with doping. Apart from robbing clean riders of their just rewards, their glory, riders and teams who dope represent an existential threat to the sport. They’re enemies of the sport because if people can’t believe what they’re seeing people *will* stop watching it. I’ve seen plenty of comments on these pages to that effect. If they stop watching then sponsors will withdraw, TV will do the same, and that’s the end. We’ve seen this happening to athletics, and it almost happened to cycling post Armstrong. And yet all the same people from that era, bar a few sacrificial offerings are still hanging around doing pulling the same crap they’ve always pulled. Human beings. They don’t effing learn.

Who exactly are these ‘clean riders?’ Name one.

Reactions: snipeheem and noob
I think the majority of pro peloton guys are probably using something to the best of their own/team's wallet capabilities.

But having 3-4 guys race 10 months a year and win by wide margins and contest every stage of a GT really makes me lose interest in following at all. This type of winning and winning across all parcours by a few guys wasn't the norm in the Lance era or the Sky era. It makes me much less interested in tuning in.

I've seen Pumping Iron a few times and I think Arnold and that whole generation of bodybuilders looked so much better and more natural (despite the steroids and whatever else), their bodies and muscles looked well-defined and well-proportioned. (Especially Arnold.) The muscle monsters of today look like bloated freaks who look more like cartoons... of course, the bodybuilding community has standards of its own, to them the obvious steroid freak (like Ronnie Coleman or Jay Cutler) looks beautiful, I guess.
I don’t follow closely but I think they’re getting a bit away from the HGH gut these days. Peak size was Ronnie Coleman around 15 years ago then peak gut with the Phil Heath era 5-10 years ago and now it seems attention is less focused on the bloated gut look. The “physique” competitors look the most like the old school days and are gaining popularity I think. The synthol and mass at all costs got disgusting.

I didn't watch it. I still haven't. I literally only saw the first update in this thread after the race and knew what had happened instantly.

I guess for someone who registered on this forum for the clinic I should be happy. But this doesn't even fascinate me. It's just too hilarious. Clearly the guy has but 1 goal; to beat Merx. And seems Merx himself hopes it happens too. I guess this is the only competition there is.

Reactions: snipeheem