• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tadej Pogacar and Mauro Giannetti

Page 249 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It actually does and there is a strong argument for it, but I don't care to make it as effectively I will be arguing for Vingegaard which I don't want to do. Dare I say that the reason you keep making this argument is that it makes you feel better about the rider you support.
The bold works both ways and strongly suggests you support Vingegaard.

The Combloux TT was just 33 minutes duration and Vingegaard pulled out a 98 second gap on 2nd place Pogacar - that's 5% faster! When Miguel Indurain did the "extraterrestrial" Luxemburg TT in 1992, that was less than 4% faster than Armand De Las Cuevas in 2nd.

If posters here were objective I wouldn't bother. Sure this is whataboutism, but what of it. Of course Pogacar is doping but we have been in an obvious arms race between UAE (Pogacar) and Visma (Vingegaard) since the fuse was it at LPdBF. We can't discuss one without also talking about the other rider.

And just to remind, despite all the radioactive performances of Pog in this year's Tour (note objectivity), Vingegaard never collapsed like Pogacar last year and was still strong enough to finish 2nd in the Nice TT - beating Remco. And Vingegaard achieved all this despite his massive crash, serious injuries and 12 days hospitalization in early April. There is the arms race right there.

Vo2 max duration when fresh at sea level in a lab we're gonna be pushing 9W/kg and 100+ guaranteed. VO2 max range is 3-8 minutes and pretty sure the Mur de Huy record alone is already around 9W/kg for the final 3 minutes.
Not sure about your calcs but on 100 VO2 max, we have been here before:

Based on Contador’s amazing climb of the Verbier, a french scientist has estimated Contador’s VO2 max to be 99.5 ml/kg/min

Not sure about your calcs but on 100 VO2 max, we have been here before:

Based on 24 minutes at 6.7 W/kg or something puny

• Haha
Reactions: Cookster15

The Combloux TT was just 33 minutes duration and Vingegaard pulled out a 98 second gap on 2nd place Pogacar - that's 5% faster! When Miguel Indurain did the "extraterrestrial" Luxemburg TT in 1992, that was less than 4% faster than Armand De Las Cuevas in 2nd.

If posters here were objective I wouldn't bother. Sure this is whataboutism, but what of it. Of course Pogacar is doping but we have been in an obvious arms race between UAE (Pogacar) and Visma (Vingegaard) since the fuse was it at LPdBF. We can't discuss one without also talking about the other rider.

And just to remind, despite all the radioactive performances of Pog in this year's Tour (note objectivity), Vingegaard never collapsed like Pogacar last year and was still strong enough to finish 2nd in the Nice TT - beating Remco. And Vingegaard achieved all this despite his massive crash, serious injuries and 12 days hospitalization in early April. There is the arms race right there.
Pogacar also does one day races even cobbled classics, which is surely more absurd than anything Vingegaard has ever done, blablabla... It never stops!!!

I wish we could just talk about how ridiculous Pogi is in this thread, and how ridiculous Jonas is in "his" thread..!

Reactions: noob and SHAD0W93
I usually try and stay out of these kinds of debates but I still can't believe some people go into a thread and accuse Rider X of doping while pretending that their favorite rider, Rider Y is clean. That's simply not how the sport has ever worked. One rider and one team never has a monopoly on rule bending.
I think some take umbrage with what this thread actually concerns: namely, Pogacar AND Gianetti. The problem here is what's going on between them under UAE sponsorship, which is the most appalling affair in the sport to which journalism closes its eyes, because the money's too big to ruin the party. However, some fanboys want to divert the conversation with whataboutism regarding someone else's exploits and miraculous recovery, only because they can't handle the thread's legittimate beef with the fraudulent pair. Here is to be discussed why it's absolutely scandalous that Pogi does what he does in an operation run by Gianetti. Concerns about anyone else should be taken to the appropriate Clinic thread.

Reactions: Raest

Hit the nail on the head with this one.

If Vingegaard was at his highest ever level this year, as you say, then it's the only logical conclusion.

It was probably similar, compared to the rest of the field, to Plateau de Beille this year, and Pog still destroyed him there.

many fans don't realize what we -could- see in 2025 if Vingo arrives at the Tour healthy and top form. can you imagine the speed Pog would have needed if Vingo kept his wheel until 800 meters to go? if Pog had to cross the line completely distraught cause he had to go way beyond his max? we'd be looking at an even faster Plateau de Beille't time

Reactions: snipeheem and noob
The problem is that for such short durations a part of w/kg is generated in an anaerobic way (resulting in fast lactates accumulation) so VO2max can't be extrapolated that easily. Obviously such an effort generates a huge, maximal aerobic response but still part of the power is anaerobic in nature.

Yes, the the Mur de Huy record would include a hefty component of the anaerobic Lactic Energy System. VO2 max is only supposed to measure the aerobic component.

All three energy systems are always active during exercise, however, the method you rely on most to produce that energy depends on the activity you are doing, or more specifically, its intensity and duration.

Jul 19, 2024
Visit site

The point I made was that I don't understand why in a thread that discusses Pogacar's potential doping you and a couple of other posters feel the need to remind everyone, at regular intervals, that "nothing compares to Combloux" or "Vingegaard did it first" ( something which I hear a lot from my son, only he is... 4). The thread is about Pogacar and Giannetti it's not about Vingegaard, if you feel strongly about Vingegaard's performances there is a thread for it, you can vent all you want.

Last edited: