• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tao Geoghegan Hart discussion thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hey, what‘s up with Tao these days? He‘ll do Burgos, then Plouay. No Vuelta - so no GT in 2022!…

Today, he wasn‘t so good in San Sebastian, was beaten by Euskadi‘s Angulo by two minutes almost… OK, Tao is no one day racer, and had a longer break.

I hope Ineos take him to the Vuelta, and I hope he‘ll do a good Vuelta (fight for podium vs Hindley)… :)

Go, Tao!… You want to win the TdF one day!… ;)

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Congratulations to the redheaded boy!

tao-geoghegan-hart-2023.png

Reactions: noob
The question is whether you want to measure that by performance before / after the major success or performance in the race he actually won.
The question says winner not win so you go with the palmarès. Many greats of the sport have some seriously crap victories on their record but that doesn't make them crap.

On this basis Hindley is too soon to judge. Ditto Vingegaard.

Reactions: StryderHells
For the record, in the two years and however many months since TGH won the Giro in 2020 his best results have been three second places: in stages of the Tour des Alpes and the Dauphiné in 2021 and a stage of the Vuelta in 2022. He almost added a fourth second the other day in Valenciana before breaking his Curse of the Pink Jersey hex today.

Okay, he has had a pretty good start to the season and is a Grand Tour winner, let's not forget. I'd say this is the best level by far he has shown since then.

It will be interesting to see if he can play a role in a Grand Tour again.

By the way, I read in the Rouleur magazine that he was supposed to lose time on the day to Agrigento (stage 2) and actually had let go of the peloton before he decided that it would probably be a good idea to keep close to Geraint Thomas if he should need a different bike given that they have the same size, so he kept going on the uphill finish, passing lots of riders and didn't end up losing much time. Apparently, it was a random spur of the moment decision, and if he hadn't made it, he would have lost five minutes and never gotten close to the front of GC. He thought that it was pretty strange to think about how such a little thing ended up being that important.

Okay, he has had a pretty good start to the season and is a Grand Tour winner, let's not forget. I'd say this is the best level by far he has shown since then.

It will be interesting to see if he can play a role in a Grand Tour again.

By the way, I read in the Rouleur magazine that he was supposed to lose time on the day to Agrigento (stage 2) and actually had let go of the peloton before he decided that it would probably be a good idea to keep close to Geraint Thomas if he should need a different bike given that they have the same size, so he kept going on the uphill finish, passing lots of riders and didn't end up losing much time. Apparently, it was a random spur of the moment decision, and if he hadn't made it, he would have lost five minutes and never gotten close to the front of GC. He thought that it was pretty strange to think about how such a little thing ended up being that important.

He had the occasional good day in 2021 and 2022 but could never sustain it for more than a day so the way he was getting gradually better in this Tirreno for three straight days has been very encouraging.

Hindley has two Giro podiums. Two more than a lot of people expected. Jack Haig has a GT podium. Time for Ben O'Connor to do the same. TGH kinda disappeared after the Giro win. Hesjedal was the same but then even Thomas De Gendt has a Giro podium...........Rodriguez could have won two grand tours but Hesjedal and Contador decided to play spoiler...........

TRENDING THREADS