• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Targets of grand tour riders in 2020

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Or Thomas is talking in the press to try and put pressure on managment to send him to the Tour.

Groenewegen was talking about wanting the Tour again, but Jumbo would be insane to send him there for example.

Unless there's no chance Froome is competitive, Froome/Bernal at the Tour and Thomas/Carapaz at the Giro seems like a no brainer to me. Carapaz can lead the Vuelta while you fill out the mountain train roles with the likes of Sivakov, Hart, Sosa et al.
Yeah, but Groenewagen said this a few month ago even before the talks about the topics started. Now is the time when the decicions are more or less already taken.

In my eyes Thomas and Carapaz to the giro would make more sence, too. There are more time trial kilometers in the giro, which is better for Thomas then for Bernal.
But with the last statement from Thomas I think the management will decide in another way.

Today it was announced by Movistar that their three leaders (Valverde, Mas, Soler) will all 3 be going to the Tour and Vuelta. I think this group of leaders are going to work much better together than what we saw the last 2 years for multiple reasons including all 3 get along with each other and the young two Spaniard look up to Valverde. Enric Mas was asked something about being one of the leaders at Movistar and his response was this is Alejandro's team. I think we will see a much more cohesive team in 2020.

Today it was announced by Movistar that their three leaders (Valverde, Mas, Soler) will all 3 be going to the Tour and Vuelta. I think this group of leaders are going to work much better together than what we saw the last 2 years for multiple reasons including all 3 get along with each other and the young two Spaniard look up to Valverde. Enric Mas was asked something about being one of the leaders at Movistar and his response was this is Alejandro's team. I think we will see a much more cohesive team in 2020.

So who are they sending to the Giro?

The sooner Soler leaves the team the better it's for his career - He should be riding for GC at the Giro.

Mas and Soler seem to both be happy about racing together with Valverde in those two GT's. They were talking about how much fun it's going to be racing together and supporting each other and having Valverde to help and support them and basically be their in case they falter. Then in la Vuelta they will support Valverde. Soler was talking about he has to step up this year and prove he's worthy of the support of the team. With what Soler was saying, it's unlikely he has any intention on leaving Movistar. It also sounds like the two of them wanted to race the two GT's together with Valverde. Almost like they want the "safety net" of Valverde being there with and for them. Mas also hasn't raced 2 GT's in one season yet. So it's unlikely he'll be a leader at la Vuelta. Soler will be co-leader with Mas at the Tour and then co-leader at la Vuelta with Valverde. Mas and Soler will also have 1 week races where they will be the only leader.

That is a great question. The guess I've seen the most is they may send some of the kids to the GIro, basically sending a U-23 team.
I've wanted a WT team to do this for years, but nobody has had the guts. Greenedge came close a few times sending 5-6 riders eligible for the youth classification but I can't think of anyone sending an entire team.

I think it would be entertaining.

Reactions: Koronin
I've wanted a WT team to do this for years, but nobody has had the guts. Greenedge came close a few times sending 5-6 riders eligible for the youth classification but I can't think of anyone sending an entire team.

I think it would be entertaining.

That gives me an idea for a little thought experiment; what eight riders could/should Movistar pick for the Giro, if they all have to be eligible for the youth classification?

Roglic to the Tour confirmed.
Apart from that, he starts his season in Paris-Nice, but then also drives the Tour of the Basque Country. He also goes to the Flèche Wallonne and Liège-Bastogne-Liège in the spring.

Very different races that's he's done usually. Last year he's done UAE Tour, Tirreno and Romandie.

Last edited:
Kruijswik and Dumoulin also to the Tour along with Roglic. I guess no one is going to the Giro this year from Jumbo Visma, perhaps Bennet. Still I would think Roglic still has unfinished business at the Giro, would make more sense to go there than to the Tour with little timetrialing.
Also I fear we might get a Movistar three leaders problem in Jumbo Visma. I don't see any of the big three working for each other and that means less helpers overall to secure the win.

Tour de France: Tom Dumoulin, Primoz Roglic, Steven Kruijswijk, Robert Gesink, Laurens De Plus, Sepp Kuss, Wout van Aert, Tony Martin

Last edited:
Kruijswik and Dumoulin also to the Tour along with Roglic. I guess no one is going to the Giro this year from Jumbo Visma, perhaps Bennet. Still I would think Roglic still has unfinished business at the Giro, would make more sense to go there than to the Tour with little timetrialing.
Also I fear we might get a Movistar three leaders problem in Jumbo Visma. I don't see any of the big three working for each other and that means less helpers overall to secure the win.

Tour de France: Tom Dumoulin, Primoz Roglic, Steven Kruijswijk, Robert Gesink, Laurens De Plus, Sepp Kuss, Wout van Aert, Tony Martin
Benett is gonna be the leader at Giro. Big chance for him.
Giro d'Italia: George Bennett, Antwan Tolhoek, Koen Bouwman, Lennard Hofstede, Dylan Groenewegen, Amund Grøndahl Jansen, Mike Teunissen
Vuelta a España: Steven Kruijswijk, Robert Gesink, Jos van Emden, Dylan Groenewegen

TRENDING THREADS