• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Targets of grand tour riders in 2020

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, I knew about Soler. I left out some of the more marginal names like he, Konrad, and a few others. I wasn't scientific or anything, just kinda putting names of people who've proven they can finish top 5 in a GT or maybe a few places back in the Tour. He just didn't make the cut with his one 9th at La Vuelta.

Reactions: Koronin
So basically only Ineos has yet to announce? I think we can blindly put Carapaz in Giro and Froome in Tour.

I sort of forgot about Simon Yates, quite happy to see him go for the Giro again. Don't want all the climbers to aim for the Tour, and he's a bit of wild card so nice to have one of those riding around in the Giro too.

Makes sense to send him there. It is their best rider and their best bet at winning it this year. Right now at least. Things can always change in the next coming months. We dont really know the exact field until the race start. But we have a pretty good idea of it.
Is he really their best rider tho? It's not because Froome didn't ride last year that all of the sudden he will be much worse than before when he dominated pretty much every GT he rode.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Is he really their best rider tho? It's not because Froome didn't ride last year that all of the sudden he will be much worse than before when he dominated pretty much every GT he rode.
Almost nobody comes back to their original level after an injury Froome was said to have. Froome is in his mid 30s and doesn't go by the name of Alejandro Valverde. It's also a route where his ITT being better than Bernal is almost completely meaningless.

A rider in his prime vs a rider in his mid 30s coming back after an almost career-ending injury? Yeah, okay.

Bernal proved he is the best rider last year and most likely will be in the next few years. Unless something unexpected happens.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Thomas is the more likely victim. It's unlikely that Froome can perform at the required level.
Either way, Ineos rarelly moves option 2 or 3 from option 1 and only does so to counter-attack. I have in mind the stage ending in Lá Rosière, which can be a sample of next year Tour. Hierarchy changes result of performance and gc position, not tactics. Apart from crashes and Jumbo-Visma, they don't have a chance inside their team.

I think the three leaders stategy can backfire, it's not automatically 3 times the chances. If you have one clear leader then you get 2 additional helpers instead of 2 guys who basically comepte with you, that's a lot.
Plus hierarchy means a helper might not wait for you, because he helps another leader, etc

It hasnt worked for Movistar. Ineos kind of did it with two leaders with G and froome and G and bernal
But even two can be a bit much, for every leader you lose a helper. And even though G was 2nd last year he can say he's happy for the team win, but im sure he'd rather have won it himself.

Why would Aru go to the Tour with that field of riders? If he gets merely close to his previous form, then he could podium this Giro.

He is listed for both right now. From an interview I read, it sounded like he would be going Giro and wanting to make the selection for the Olympics. Riding Tirreno and Sardinia (if that race takes place) in the spring. But maybe it was just the program he was wishing for and nothing decided yet.

He is listed for both right now. From an interview I read, it sounded like he would be going Giro and wanting to make the selection for the Olympics. Riding Tirreno and Sardinia (if that race takes place) in the spring. But maybe it was just the program he was wishing for and nothing decided yet.
Aru will not ride the giro.
Formolo, Ulissi and Kristoff are the three main riders from UAE who will target the giro next year.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fa...bia-21-after-recovering-from-cytomegalovirus/

Aru will not ride the giro.
Formolo, Ulissi and Kristoff are the three main riders from UAE who will target the giro next year.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fa...bia-21-after-recovering-from-cytomegalovirus/

“For Tokyo there would have been a more targeted build-up, perhaps with the Giro,” Aru told La Gazzetta dello Sport earlier this month. “But the main thing is to be going well. And if you go well at the Tour…”

Yeah, so I guess the team changed it.

In an interview i posted in his dedicated topic, he said a few days ago that the Giro is an option, but not a certainty. It's possible the info there was deprecated but maybe it's not set in stone. If he's to start there, it would be as a build up towards his main goal, the Olympics. And chances are he would drop out before the end.

His real goals this year will be LBL, WCC RR, WCC ITT, OG RR, OG ITT & Lombardia.

TRENDING THREADS