• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Targets of grand tour riders in 2020

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A happy new year everyone!

Alaphilippe will ride the tour, but not with GC intention.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/alaphilippe-in-no-hurry-to-target-gc-at-tour-de-france/

So a resume of everything we know yet.

The only two big names missing are Carapaz and Thomas.

Giro: Nibali, Bardet, Fuglsang, S.Yates, Majka, Zakarin, Keldermann, G. Bennett, Formolo, Konrad, van Garderen, Schachmann, Evenepoel and Carapaz (likely)

Tour:
Bernal, Froome, Roglic, Dumoulin, Kruiswijk, Buchmann, Pinot, Lopez, Porte, Valverde, Mas, Quintana, Latour, Aru, Pogacar, Landa, Poels, Alaphilippe, Barguil, Dan Martin, Mollema, Woods, Uran and Thomas (likely)

So most of the big names are focussing on the tour next year. There will be two very strong teams with Jumbo and Ineos.

With the abscence of Dumoulin and Bernal the giro field looks not that strong, which will hopefully lead to an open race. Favorites are Nibali and Carapaz. Fuglsang, S.Yates and Bardet will also have opportunities.

For the spring I see a very very exclusive field for Paris- Nice. Many GC contenders also announced their participation in the Ardennes classics.

Last edited:
I think we will see the strongest Tour peloton in many years, but it will be a false strength, because a lot of regular captains, will ride the Tour primarily to build up form for the Olympics.

So I believe we will see a lot of riders, that we would usually call contenders, drop a lot of time in the first week, to free them up to ride the race as part doms/part stage hunters/part ride alongs.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think we will see the strongest Tour peloton in many years, but it will be a false strength, because a lot of regular captains, will ride the Tour primarily to build up form for the Olympics.

So I believe we will see a lot of riders, that we would usually call contenders, drop a lot of time in the first week, to free them up to ride the race as part doms/part stage hunters/part ride alongs.

To add to that, how many will be leaving early. Valverde and S Yates have already said they are leaving early and there will be others as well.

What a freaking waste. Tired of watching Adam get hyped as a GC contender for the Tour while Simon spends his 3rd year in a row at the Giro. I know I know olympics, but Adam is the better one day racer anyway.

CLARIFICATION: That’s not to take away from actually winning the Giro. I am just tired of watching Simon fail at the Giro when he was great at the Tour last year vs his brother who should be targeting goals other than the TdF GC.

Last edited:
My understanding is that Mitchelton Scott will chase GC at the Giro and the Vuelta, while the TDF will be for stage hunting.

A.Yates will take a year off from riding for GC at a GT - Think he is riding two GT's in 2020 most probably the Giro/TDF, though he may finish the TDF early if he's selected for the Olympic Games - I believe that Chaves is riding the TDF ( not for GC ) as the course suits his capability - There is a chance he could also ride the Giro - Can say that Hamilton/Haig are riding for GC at the Vuelta, so it's unlikely you'll see either Yates or Chaves at this race.

What a freaking waste. Tired of watching Adam get hyped as a GC contender for the Tour while Simon spends his 3rd year in a row at the Giro. I know I know olympics, but Adam is the better one day racer anyway.

CLARIFICATION: That’s not to take away from actually winning the Giro. I am just tired of watching Simon fail at the Giro when he was great at the Tour last year vs his brother who should be targeting goals other than the TdF GC.

You can't just say "I know, the olympics" - and then act like it was not an argument for anything dude ;)

It's a season goal this year, that many prioritise greatly, not only because it is only once every 4 years, but also because because for once, the route lends itself to GC riders.

That makes it a "once in a career" opportunity for some riders, and even the Tour takes a back seat to that :)

You can't just say "I know, the olympics" - and then act like it was not an argument for anything dude ;)

It's a season goal this year, that many prioritise greatly, not only because it is only once every 4 years, but also because because for once, the route lends itself to GC riders.

That makes it a "once in a career" opportunity for some riders, and even the Tour takes a back seat to that :)
Tbh Rio Olympics RR was also suited for GC riders. Poor sprinters tho.

2008 had a GT rider win too.

2024 will probably be flat tho.

Regardless, you never know. A lot can happen in 4 years, let alone 8. If you're strong now, and you have any interest in the Olympics, you've got to go for it.

Unless you're as dominating as Sagan, there's a good chance it's still likely the opportunity only comes once. Any even Sagan has possibly missed his shot with his bizarre decision in Rio.

Regardless, you never know. A lot can happen in 4 years, let alone 8. If you're strong now, and you have any interest in the Olympics, you've got to go for it.

Unless you're as dominating as Sagan, there's a good chance it's still likely the opportunity only comes once. Any even Sagan has possibly missed his shot with his bizarre decision in Rio.
I don't think Sagan would had a chance in Rio, despite Greg's success. Van Avermaet climbs better than him, on steep hills Sagan has advantage, but when climbs become longer, I think Greg does much better.

Hasn't Simon himself said that he really isn't that interested in going for GC at the Tour, but really wants to try and win the Giro?

At this stage, Simon isn't riding the TDF to focus on the Olympics - In saying that, he must have assurances from GB selectors as otherwise he will have a disjointed season as he's not slated to ride the Vuelta - GB would be better to focus on Thomas and A.Yates for the Olympics - Simon can get a ride at the world's.

I also think that this could happen to riders who perhaps would have a chance for a Top 10 result if they would give 100% for three weeks. Candidates for this are in my eyes persons like Valverde, Woods, Alaphilippe, Dan Martin or Mollema.

For riders who have a real chance of winning the race this will not happen. A Tour de France win still counts a lot more than an Olympic win.

I also think that this could happen to riders who perhaps would have a chance for a Top 10 result if they would give 100% for three weeks. Candidates for this are in my eyes persons like Valverde, Woods, Alaphilippe, Dan Martin or Mollema.

For riders who have a real chance of winning the race this will not happen. A Tour de France win still counts a lot more than an Olympic win.

Alaphilippe has said he's not racing the Tour for GC. Valverde can't intentionally lose time in a race. It goes against his mentality. If he actually leaves the Tour early for the Olympics, as he's saying he's going to do, he'll be high in GC and due to the first two weeks could easily be top 5 if not in a podium position come the 2nd rest day.

I really think it depends on the individual. Of course in the cycling world the Tour means (much) more, but in the general public it's a bit different, especially for someone from a country that's not super successful in the Olympics. For someone like Roglic, Carapaz or Bernal for example I assume it would be close if they'd be bigger heroes in their countries for winning the 2020 Tour or the Olympic road race.
For French, British, Spanish guys I suppose the Tour is more a priority.

But anyway, I'm not fully convinced the race will be won by a GC rider, and it would be foolish to go all in for Tokyo if you have a half-realistic chance to win the Tour (or Giro/Vuelta), so mostly I agree.

TRENDING THREADS